Why become a member? ×

over rated bassists ?

jojoagogo234

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1331550413' post='1574448']

File under 'overrated topics'. I don't think there's any such thing, only music I like and music I don't.
[/quote]

I agree. Except where Miserable Marcus Miller is concerned. ;-)

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1331550413' post='1574448']
I don't think there's any such thing, only music I like and music I don't.
[/quote]

True.

However,I will make an exception for John Entwistle...mainly because of that 'Bassist of the Millenium'
thing that keeps getting touted.
I don't even think he's the best bass player to play with The Who :P

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1331556080' post='1574613']

True.

However,I will make an exception for John Entwistle...mainly because of that 'Bassist of the Millenium'
[/quote]

Don't get me started on Pino with the Who.....wrong, wrong, wrong.

True.

[/quote]
you and me both....... and 'Hooky'

True.

[/quote]

This is unfortunately already for me where the problems start with topics like this. I'm no big Entwistle fan, but I think some of his bass lines are fantastic, and it's very easy to see why he's so popular. Your issue should probably be more with the people who need 'top 10 bass players of all time' style lists in order to qualify their otherwise completely subjective opinions. As far as the Who were concerned (and probably 99% of their fans), Entwistle was the dogs, and that's what matters.

Don't make me link to the Alex James fiasco from a few weeks back!

Edited by risingson

I know it's all subjective...but I find it interesting that when there is an 'under rated' player thread,
everyone is quite happy to to say about players they like who they don't think get enough
coverage,yet when an 'over rated' thread starts its wrong because it's 'subjective'.
Subjectivity is whole point of both threads. As far as I'm concerned,there is no difference in
me saying that players like Robert Mercurio of Galactic or Raphael Saadiq of Tony,Toni,Tone
are 'under rated' and saying that players like John Entwistle or Flea are 'over rated'.

Unless,of course,the real reason is that people don't like to hear others being negative towards
their favourite players/bands?

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1331558593' post='1574699']
How long before someone mentions Adam Clayton again?
[/quote]

Adam Clayton is overrated.

There, I saved one or two people a lot of time :D

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1331558638' post='1574701']
I know it's all subjective...but I find it interesting that when there is an 'under rated' player thread,
everyone is quite happy to to say about players they like who they don't think get enough
coverage,yet when an 'over rated' thread starts its wrong because it's 'subjective'.
Subjectivity is whole point of both threads. As far as I'm concerned,there is no difference in
me saying that players like Robert Mercurio of Galactic or Raphael Saadiq of Tony,Toni,Tone
are 'under rated' and saying that players like John Entwistle or Flea are 'over rated'.

Unless,of course,the real reason is that people don't like to hear others being negative towards
their favourite players/bands?
[/quote]

Subjectivity is what is seen as part of a reasoned debate, but I've never seen a 'who's the most overrated bass player' thread end with anyone being even close to subjective.

It only matters to music fans. To most of them we're the one with the big guitar who doesn't seem to do much.

Anyway I have spliced the DNA of Mark King and Flea and am cloning the Fling army. In 18 years every band on the planet will be able to have the finest over/underated bass player known to man.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1331559110' post='1574720']
Subjectivity is what is seen as part of a reasoned debate, but I've never seen a 'who's the most overrated bass player' thread end with anyone being even close to subjective.
[/quote]
So..that says to me that the problem with these threads is that people don't like others being negative towards
their favourite players/band.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1331555088' post='1574577']
Another thread with an objective to quantify the subjective.
[/quote]

+1 I will not partake. Most of the players that I don't like adorn their houses with gold and platinum disks, so what do I know!

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1331559346' post='1574727']
So..that says to me that the problem with these threads is that people don't like others being negative towards
their favourite players/band.
[/quote]

Trust me, it's not. Hypothetically, if you were to put forward Andy Rourke from The Smiths into all of this, it's not going to stop me from enjoying The Smiths' music. I'm more aware of music as the sum of the parts as opposed to any one person being under or overrated. What I'd prefer to highlight is the futility of arguing the toss either way.

Technical proficiency aside, Entwistle wrote some fine basslines and his sound was an essential part of the Who's sound. Likewise Geddy Lee.

To me, being a good player is all about playing well within the context of the music... some musicians are one great in a particular genre, but put them somewhere else and they fail miserably.

Ultimately a futile discussion.

To make it less subjective a list of players and their 'official' rating needs to be presented. You can then examine the ratings, what they are based on etc,. and then discuss which are over or under rated and why.

For example, the majority here seem to think that Adam Clayton is overrated. Who is exactly rating him highly to make him overrated. The fact he is in a popular band doesn't mean he is rated highly as a bass player by anyone.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1331559642' post='1574736']
Trust me, it's not. Hypothetically, if you were to put forward Andy Rourke from The Smiths into all of this, it's not going to stop me from enjoying The Smiths' music. I'm more aware of music as the sum of the parts as opposed to any one person being under or overrated. What I'd prefer to highlight is the futility of arguing the toss either way.
[/quote]

So,you've never looked at a copy of Bass Player (for example) and though "Bloody Hell..not him(again)!
He sucks!"?
There are bands/albums that I really like where I would never call the individual players amazing (or even good in some
cases)by any stretch,and vice versa. There is nothing wrong with saying "I like......." or "I think....... gets too much
attention" or whatever. Everyone does it.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1331560876' post='1574767']
So,you've never looked at a copy of Bass Player (for example) and though "Bloody Hell..not him(again)!
He sucks!"?
There are bands/albums that I really like where I would never call the individual players amazing (or even good in some
cases)by any stretch,and vice versa. There is nothing wrong with saying "I like......." or "I think....... gets too much
attention" or whatever. Everyone does it.
[/quote]

I don't read any music publications currently, but no, I don't do that. And the reason is that variety in music interests me much more than only listening to one style of music, whether I enjoy it straight away or not. The other reason is that I've learnt better than to equate seemingly poor performances with bad music. I'll never like the bass part that John Lennon played on 'The Long and Winding Road' for example but will it stop me thinking that it's one of the best records of all time? Probably not.