Why become a member? ×

Favorite color(s) for a bass

TomRichards

[quote name='Mylkinut' timestamp='1331006109' post='1566204']

[/quote]

Yes! Olympic White that has aged (or Vintage White for new basses), with one of the following pickguard options: White, Parchment, Mint, Black or Gold Anodised. But [i]never [/i]Tort, Pearl, Mirror, Pink Metalflake, etc. etc. And preferably with a maple neck!

Ooh, yeah. :gas:

Precisions - Red or White (Inc. Antiqua)
Jazz - Natural, or if it has a fancy quilted maple top either a red, turqoise or my personal favourite, purple dyed finish.
Stingrays - Black or Natural
Bongo - Satin Black (Stealth)

Those are the main ones anyway.

Edit: I 'd love a full on neon pink Jazz bass, and the sparkly sterlings that Dougie from McFly has.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1331026743' post='1566354']
Yes! Olympic White that has aged (or Vintage White for new basses), with one of the following pickguard options: White, Parchment, Mint, Black or Gold Anodised. But [i]never [/i]Tort, Pearl, Mirror, Pink Metalflake, etc. etc. And preferably with a maple neck!

[/quote]

Sir, I absolutely cannot fault your taste B)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1331027909' post='1566376']
That bass is not white. It's yellow.
[/quote]

It's Olympic White. That has... yellowed slightly over time. :P
In reality it's not as yellow as it looks in that pic. More buttery... or creamy... some kind of dairy product, anyway.

Cheese. Maybe it's cheese. Like this:

Not just one for me. Certain combinations work.
Natural body, black 'plate with a maple board; Black body, black 'plate with a maple board; oly white, black 'plate with a rosewood board. And though I wouldn't have thought it before I got it chrome red body, gold 'plate with a rosewood board looks fabulous.
I have always loved British Racing Green, but its not that common in guitars. I am torn as to whether to leave my project Vintage 'Ray copy as natural or to go for BRG.
Anyone know a good source of guitar friendly BRG rattle cans before I resort to Halfords?

[quote name='Mylkinut' timestamp='1331032300' post='1566474']
Sir, I absolutely cannot fault your taste B)
[/quote]

Well, each to his own and all that, but... thanks! :happy:
Your basses don't look too shabby, either!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1331032408' post='1566481']

[/quote]

Sorry that's still (pale) yellow. For reference, the window frame radiator and socket are white.

I went through a similar conversation with paper suppliers when the company I worked for get its first colour copier. The standard "white" paper had a most definite yellow hue. It turned out that to get what we considered white paper we had to order "ultra brilliant white".

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1331032749' post='1566491']
Sorry that's still (pale) yellow.
[/quote]

When I bought this bass brand new in 1976 it was Olympic White. The clear poly layer degrades over time, giving the creamy appearance. Where this has worn away you can still see the original colour underneath. All part of the ageing process, and considered to be very desirable as far as collectors of 70s Fenders are concerned.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1331032408' post='1566481']
It's Olympic White. That has... yellowed slightly over time. :P
In reality it's not as yellow as it looks in that pic. More buttery... or creamy... some kind of dairy product, anyway.

Cheese. Maybe it's cheese. Like this:

[/quote]

Here's a man who can afford to have wooden floors, radiators and sockets on the [i][b]outside[/b][/i] of his house. Don't argue with him. :ph34r:

As a Precisionista these would be my choices.

White with a Black scratchplate
Black with a Black scratchplate
Red with a Black scratchplate

Unfortunately the nicest one by far when I was looking was in frigging sunburst. I have at least toned down the awfulness by substituting a black scratchplate.

Don't like the idea of satin black. Too fingerprinty.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1331033214' post='1566504']
When I bought this bass brand new in 1976 it was Olympic White. The clear poly layer degrades over time, giving the creamy appearance. Where this has worn away you can still see the original colour underneath. All part of the ageing process, and considered to be very desirable as far as collectors of 70s Fenders are concerned.

[/quote]

I'm still unsure about the Olympic White colour.I have a 1978 Fender P in this colour (in bits at my parents so unphotographable) which I bought in 1981,and it was the same colour as yours,and the same wear pattern has appeared with white underneath.It's not got darker over the years and I'm positive the Fender catalogue from this period said this colour was mushroom.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1331037821' post='1566606']
I'm still unsure about the Olympic White colour.I have a 1978 Fender P in this colour (in bits at my parents so unphotographable) which I bought in 1981,and it was the same colour as yours,and the same wear pattern has appeared with white underneath.It's not got darker over the years and I'm positive the Fender catalogue from this period said this colour was mushroom.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.grouseguitars.com/sold/fender76pbasswhite.htm"]http://www.grouseguitars.com/sold/fender76pbasswhite.htm[/url]

if it's a fender then it has to be either:

-white, tort (or black) guard, maple fingerboard
-shell pink, matching headstock, white guard
-bright orange, matching headstock, white guard
-natural, black guard, maple board, blocks

on a stingray I would have to say teal with a maple board, and on a tbird it has to be white :)