Why become a member? ×

Wrist problem :(

Evil Undead

I keep getting an achy pain in my left wrist when I play bass, which is bothering me a bit.

I think my technique is ok (watched countless YouTube videos on technique and don't seem to be doing anything wrong)

I'm wondering if the neck on my bass could be causing the problem? It's a Warwick corvette $$ - has the jazz nut width but a pretty fat profile.

Or do I just need to practice more and build up some strength in my wrist?

Could be anything from wrong height for you, not warming up/down enough to your bass neck causing it. I need nice thin necks from back to front or else my left hand hates me within minutes. And lowering you're strap in order to get the bass neck pointing up can sometimes be better than raising your bass to relieve pressure on your left wrist.

It's difficult to say without seeing a picture or video,but it could be the angle of your wrist that is causing
you problems (depending on your positioning of the instrument)or you may be trying to grip the neck
harder than is necessary. You really shouldn't need to build up strength in your wrist.

Which part(s) of the wrist are hurting? It could indicate a deeper problem.

The general advice would be play bass in moderation and don't play through the pain barrier (pain is nature's way of telling you you've a problem).

In my case I'm recovering from a broken wrist which coupled with my job is likely to lead to long term problems. My rule of thumb on painkillers is I only take them after I've finished playing and not to take them to continue playing.

Steve

I agree with the previous posts - experiment with the height and position of the bass, try playing while sitting down, to see if it makes any difference, and make sure you haven't got Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (which is what happened to me a few months ago). The latter may not have been caused by your bass playing, but you might be feeling the pain the most when you play bass.

Start doing wrist exercises, it will ease the pain. I have the issue myself in periods where I play alot, but after a trip to a [i]Chiropractic I had him show me some good exercises to do regularly every day. The exercises are very simple and after a while you get used to do them every time you're bored. I'm sure theres many examples on youtube and likewise. Also, it's worth mentioning that if you dont start doing exercises to counter the wrist pain, you will eventually damage your wrist, which in the worst case may cause chronic[/i][i] pain. So to sum it up, if you want to continue being a musician and be able to play your instrument, start doing exercises now.[/i]

Edited by sunsse

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1330354752' post='1556054']
They have more aids for that sort of thing.

Although it could be the same symptoms as me. They flare up with vibrations too. (Hence why I'm still sore after using a power washer on Saturday before any wise cracks.)
[/quote]

True. I was thinking of doing a male version for my dissitation actually, but decided against it.

Back OT, there appears to be an assumption going on that the OP's problem is actually CAUSED by playing bass, (or excessive/overexuberant masturbation, but we'll leave that area alone - for now).

Her symptoms are very possibly caused by something else and exacerbated (that's EXACERbated) by playing bass, or playing bass with poor posture and hand/wrist positioning.

Best to go to the GP and get a proper diagnosis and treatment.