Why become a member? ×

Wrist problem :(

Evil Undead

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1331051414' post='1566892']
Fixed that :P

you would hope a PROPER tutor the likes of Doddy and Dood would have the knowledge about left hand technique and could perform a better one on one assessment with visuals and point out any obvious flaws.
[/quote]

If you play fingerstyle, it is almost always going to be a compromise with tha leccy bass.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1331050985' post='1566883']

Evil Undead hasn't told us how many stringes her bass has, how long she plays for per day and at a stretch, when the pain kicks in, etc.
[/quote]

It's a 4 string Warwick $$. I don't really have a set practice time per day, I just play when I feel like it, and until I get bored or dinners ready :D

I have band practice once a week for 2 hours in addition.

It's more discomfort than pain, and usually when I'm playing on the first few frets (first 5 ish).

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1331051414' post='1566892']

Fixed that :P

you would hope a PROPER tutor the likes of Doddy and Dood would have the knowledge about left hand technique and could perform a better one on one assessment with visuals and point out any obvious flaws.
[/quote]

Yeah I still need to get some photos together of me playing. I don't have many of me playing this bass but I'll scrape together what I can find tonight and post them.

[quote name='Dave Tipping' timestamp='1330298359' post='1555514']
.. is nobody else going to say it??
[/quote]

Am I too late for the w***ing jokes?

Sorry to hear that the medical professionals have had no luck - though the GPs and consultants, etc, do tend to look for things which are broken; And it could be that, in this instance, nothing is broken.

You might then try someone like a physio, or someone of that ilk, in conjunction with some of the advice on here, to get a sense of what is generating the strain and where; oh, and what you might do, if anything, to lessen it.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1331057817' post='1567012']
I was thinking it might be worthwhile breaking open the piggy bank and paying for a lesson. whether in person or over something like skype.

Someone who can see in real time and converse would for me beat trying to forensically examine a load of pictures Plus you don't have all us nosey fookers puttin' in 2p and muddying the waters :P
[/quote]

I like you nosey fookers :) besides keeping me entertained, you're helping me to look at possibilities that I hadn't considered.

As for a lesson, I tried that too. Two different teachers. The first one told me that I should hang my bass lower and hold it more horizontal :blink: and the second one said "I can't really teach you technique, so we'll focus on theory" (in more words of course). Second one was a great teacher and helped loads with my theory, but couldn't really help me with my technique.

Ok, here are some photos. Please excuse my flab, my silly expressions, and my varying dodgy hairstyles.

These were the only two useful photos of me playing my $$

And here are some of me with my old Ibanez 5 string (very light and very comfortable to play, lovely balance. I'm seriously thinking about buying another of these). Check out the angle this bass sits at.

Edited by Evil Undead

Just some first glance thoughts (and I am definitely not a pro!)

I would try raising the warwick higher still (it actually looks uncomfortable)

Also looking at the 5 string it looks like the wider neck was maybe FORCING correct technique. Your thumb is the the middle of the neck and your hand looks relaxed.

With the warwick your thumb has drifted over the top and your hand looks much more tense.

Feel free to ignore, shout or swear at me. All imo and i admit to there being a high likelyhood of me being wrong.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1331062366' post='1567113']
Just some first glance thoughts (and I am definitely not a pro!)

I would try raising the warwick higher still (it actually looks uncomfortable)

Also looking at the 5 string it looks like the wider neck was maybe FORCING correct technique. Your thumb is the the middle of the neck and your hand looks relaxed.

With the warwick your thumb has drifted over the top and your hand looks much more tense.

Feel free to ignore, shout or swear at me. All imo and i admit to there being a high likelyhood of me being wrong.
[/quote]

Hey

I've got the Wick a bit higher at the moment, but it seems to force the neck into a more horizontal position, which makes me reach further (and therefore turn my wrist more).

I think those shots were taken at unfortunate times haha, I usually have my thumb at the back when playing the lower strings - higher strings my thumb usually sticks up over the top. The neck is quite narrow even though the profile is really thick.

I am in agreement that the Ibanez does look more comfortable. That gig (that those photos were taken on) was the only gig where I've not been in a lot of discomfort afterwards, either from my back, wrists, etc.

Maybe going the wrong way about this then.

You could try adding a small amount of weight to the rear or the bass to experiment. And the lower the bass until comfortable? I think somebody did this with a couple of small weights and some fishing line on here at somepoint :)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1330986053' post='1565999']
Point one. Don't f*** with the Warwick neck. They are that thickness for a reason and they have shallowed recently due to some sort of technological advance they say. I have the very neck you describe and it is a little thick, but I think thicker necks are generally more ergonomic.

There are some VERY small women who play bass, and upright bass, although, played properly, upright is more ergonomic due to the reduced flexion of the wrist, and less ulnar deviation.

The thing is, as I posted much earlier, you don't appear to have considered that other activities may be the root cause of your problem and any diagnosis on here will be completely hit or miss, which means if you are relying on it, or you own, you are putting yourself at risk of making the problem worse.

Go an see a bloody doctor!

x
[/quote]

I agree completely.

I'm tiny (5'2", with hands in proportion!), I play not one but three Warwicks, two of which are 5 string, and an upright. I have no problem at all in the wrist of my fretting hand.

As I mentioned before, I did have pain in my left (plucking) wrist, and that turned out to be Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and to be unrelated to bass playing.

So yes, go see a doctor.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1331063782' post='1567152']

You could try adding a small amount of weight to the rear or the bass to experiment. And the lower the bass until comfortable? I think somebody did this with a couple of small weights and some fishing line on here at somepoint :)
[/quote]

I thought about adding weight. And whilst the $$ is still a pretty light bass at 8.6lbs, I don't have a very good back. Adding some weight would probably make the bass heavier than my crappy back would be able to stand.

The Ibanez is crazy light at 7.3lbs, especially for a 5 string. Quite a difference.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1331063782' post='1567152']

[/quote]

I do this with my acoustic guitars, saves a great deal of left hand wrist ache from holding the bloody neck up.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1331068789' post='1567271']
I had a thought just now... I wonder if my rather protruding beer gut pushes the bass far enough away to cause weird wrist angles?
[/quote]

There would be a lot of us in that club, if it were so.

My resolution, was to try and emulate my early Nirvana hero, by playing the bass [i]as low as possible[/i] - but this has a corresponding impact upon my glass back.

In terms of adding weight, is it not best to do that to the strap rather than the bass - with some skill, it would be possible to [i]sew the additional weights into the strap[/i].

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1331121448' post='1567897']

In terms of adding weight, is it not best to do that to the strap rather than the bass - with some skill, it would be possible to [i]sew the additional weights into the strap[/i].
[/quote]

what are you some sort of bass playing race horse!! ;)