Why become a member? ×

Valve amps with a WOW factor.

Interesting indeed - got any pics?

EDIT - no need, quite a lot online. Interesting reading here: [url="http://www.timeelect.com/400-faq.htm"]http://www.timeelect.com/400-faq.htm[/url] (Sure you have seen this already)

I'll take a couple when I next go to the studio.

In the meantime, this is what it looks like

EDIT: Yep, that site's a good source of information on the amp. Somewhere I saw an excerpt from a book which gave a very objective review of the amp.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='vegas_hooker' post='175900' date='Apr 13 2008, 09:47 PM']That said, the trace V4's are very highly spoken on here.[/quote]
That reminds me, we're up to one combo owner and one head owner at the moment, aren't we?

Plus 3 or 4 V8 owners?

BTW Syed, that Fender looks like a monster. Stuff of legend from what I hear.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='172284' date='Apr 8 2008, 02:49 PM']As a suggestion there's a Trace Twin Valve combo on ebay right now which is a reasonable price but its only 100w.[/quote]

Lovely little amp. I had a head in natural alloy.

But, it's a bit quiet set clean. Overdrives nicely though :) More like 80 (valve) watts and the pre has some solid state and some valve. Too tech for me but it's aparently not strictly speaking "all valve"

It has big brothers - the Quadravalve and the Hexavalve. You get about 80 watts per pair of EL34's or KT88's IIRC.
They are ancesters of the Trace V series. Not sure how they compare and the biggies are rar as hen's teeth.
A guy on talkbass got a Quadvalve head for £40 a few years ago .. I guess that was a boot sale job :huh:

[quote name='OldGit' post='177473' date='Apr 15 2008, 11:29 PM']Lovely little amp. I had a head in natural alloy.

But, it's a bit quiet set clean. Overdrives nicely though :) More like 80 (valve) watts and the pre has some solid state and some valve. Too tech for me but it's aparently not strictly speaking "all valve"

It has big brothers - the Quadravalve and the Hexavalve. You get about 80 watts per pair of EL34's or KT88's IIRC.
They are ancesters of the Trace V series. Not sure how they compare and the biggies are rar as hen's teeth.
A guy on talkbass got a Quadvalve head for £40 a few years ago .. I guess that was a boot sale job :huh:[/quote]
I've got the head too, and the case is stainless steel. It does have a very "hi fi" sound which is exactly what I wanted for fretless, and the "pre-shape" control is instant '80's - the Bassman is lovely but more of a rock/blues vibe. Generally loud enough for most venues and very portable for a valve amp, but I'm always looking out for the quadra/hex valve beasties you mentioned! Anyone selling one.......?

[quote name='vegas_hooker' post='177329' date='Apr 15 2008, 08:37 PM']The bassman in that picture is a little different to mine. Each channel has 4 dials whereas the left sided one in the photo (the 'bass' channel) only has 3. Has yours always been like that?[/quote]
You’re quite right, I hadn’t noticed – that was a pic I got off the “Vintage” site more because I liked the EB bass.
This is mine (paired with a cr@p speaker in “room practice” mode!), each channel has a volume, bass, middle, & treble rotary control, “deep” switch (bass) and “bright” switch (normal), with a master volume controlling both.

[quote name='man_at_arms84' post='176634' date='Apr 14 2008, 08:41 PM']Matamp have just started making the classic 200w bass amp again. If I had enough money I'd get one, but there guitar heads are over a grand so im guessing it wont be cheap.
I have two cabs they made for me which are amazing.[/quote]
ahh man i heard you playing through those cabs at a sheffield gig a while ago sounded great! how much did the cabs set you back to have made?

[quote name='Merton' post='176311' date='Apr 14 2008, 03:07 PM']Indeed the pre-amp is based on the Bassman circuit, a nice simple passive tone stack. Mmm. I like. :)[/quote]
Had a brief email conversation with the guy that designed the TE preamp. It's based on the Alembic F1-X (is that right?) which in turn is based on the fender bassman pre. The original designs for which came out of an RCA manual, circa 1934!

[quote name='Sharkfinger' post='179000' date='Apr 17 2008, 04:32 PM']Had a brief email conversation with the guy that designed the TE preamp. It's based on the Alembic F1-X (is that right?) which in turn is based on the fender bassman pre. The original designs for which came out of an RCA manual, circa 1934![/quote]

Correct about the F1-X. I have the schematics for the F1-X, Trace V-series, Fender Bassman, BBE-BMAX-T, Trace V8(yes it's different) and they are all much the same component for component. I'm just about to have a look into a Peavey Max pre-amp valve section which at a glance again looks very similar. The Alembic F2-B is quite different.

[quote name='The Funk' post='177422' date='Apr 15 2008, 10:11 PM']I recently purchased a Fender 400PS. Pumps out 435W (with three 4ohm cabs), 290W (with two 4 ohm cabs) and 145W (with one 4 ohm cab).[/quote]

That should sound pretty righteous through the Acmes - seems they get on well with valve amps!

Alex

[quote name='obbm' post='179012' date='Apr 17 2008, 04:45 PM']Correct about the F1-X. I have the schematics for the F1-X, Trace V-series, Fender Bassman, BBE-BMAX-T, Trace V8(yes it's different) and they are all much the same component for component. I'm just about to have a look into a Peavey Max pre-amp valve section which at a glance again looks very similar. The Alembic F2-B is quite different.[/quote]
Dave, could I be cheeky and ask you to send me a copy of the V-Type schematic? I had it years ago but carelessly lost it when moving computers...

Cheers! :)

[quote name='Merton' post='179028' date='Apr 17 2008, 05:02 PM']Dave, could I be cheeky and ask you to send me a copy of the V-Type schematic? I had it years ago but carelessly lost it when moving computers...

Cheers! :)[/quote]

This is the place for Trace:

[url="http://www.britishaudioservice.com/trace_manuals_bass.shtml"]http://www.britishaudioservice.com/trace_manuals_bass.shtml[/url]

Go fetch!!

Musicman through a Fender twin reverb = one of the all-time great sounds.

PBass through a Hiwatt 100w and a 69 Marshall 4x12. Oh, yes!

Jazz through a Burman 4000 through a Peavey 18+2x10. Grunt.

Rickenbacker through a Trace V6 and the matching (4x12-size) 2x15. Chug.

Pbass through a Marshall 50w and a checkerboard 1935 2x12 with 30w greenbacks. Studio cream.

Any bass through a Fender Bassman 20 1x15 from the '70s. 6V6 output valves = no headroom, but smoooooth for recording.

PBass and a '63 Ampeg B15N with a JBL. Motown.

Gibson EB through a Sunn stack. Pappalardi....

[quote name='Thornybank' post='179348' date='Apr 17 2008, 10:55 PM']PBass through a Hiwatt 100w and a 69 Marshall 4x12. Oh, yes!
Rickenbacker through a Trace V6 and the matching (4x12-size) 2x15. Chug.[/quote]

How about a Ric through a late 60's Bassman 80 watt? head (on the chair) and 2x15 "diagonal" cab? (in the early 70's)

or a P bass through the same head and cab?

Anyone identify the model of head and cab from that?
Or the very slim bloke playing them? :)
I'd love to get one again (and that waistline) .........

[quote name='paul, the' post='179426' date='Apr 18 2008, 01:17 AM']You fly mofo![/quote]

Why Paul, you've come over all Shaft!

The bassman head had a silver control panel, jewel power lamp thing, two channels I think, er it was a very long time ago :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='179431' date='Apr 18 2008, 01:27 AM']Why Paul, you've come over all Shaft![/quote]
It's the early hours and I've got soul in my ear. All valve, I can assure you.

[quote name='OldGit' post='179431' date='Apr 18 2008, 01:27 AM']The bassman head had a silver control panel, jewel power lamp thing, two channels I think, er it was a very long time ago :)[/quote]
I know the ones :huh:

I'll have to clean that out.

[quote name='The Funk' post='179440' date='Apr 18 2008, 01:51 AM']The head looks a bit Fender-ish (but that could just be the colour of the grill cloth).

Steve and Alex, I will give the Fender 400PS a full review once I've had a chance to give it a proper work-out.[/quote]

You mean mine? It was definitely a Fender Bassman ..
I used it for about 4 years I think as I suffered a lot less gas as a young bass player, back before Basschat :)

[quote name='obbm' post='179039' date='Apr 17 2008, 05:14 PM']This is the place for Trace:

[url="http://www.britishaudioservice.com/trace_manuals_bass.shtml"]http://www.britishaudioservice.com/trace_manuals_bass.shtml[/url]

Go fetch!![/quote]
Hmm, last time I looked there it wasn't on the list :)

Cheers!

• 2 months later...

[quote name='man_at_arms84' post='176634' date='Apr 14 2008, 08:41 PM']Matamp have just started making the classic 200w bass amp again. If I had enough money I'd get one, but there guitar heads are over a grand so im guessing it wont be cheap.
I have two cabs they made for me which are amazing.[/quote]
its 1400 and possibly the best bass head ever.