Why become a member? ×

Valve amps with a WOW factor.

Hey Everybody,
I've decided when i grow up to be a big boy i want to get a sexy/chic valve amp with a bit of somethiong special to it. You know something that is easy on the eye and dosent look like i should plug it in to my telly for 5:1 or whatever surround sound.
I've been risking a good hiding form my boss by looking at pictures on the hyper mega net of the following - Orange, Hiwatt and Matamp (i bloody love the look of these)
Anybody paly through any opf these or anything along these lines?
let us know, tell us what you think. Why (if) are they better than these new fangled doo dahs?
lets discuss and then i can start putting away my pocket money into my midlands live cash acount and watch it grow.

[quote name='Rusty Shackleford' post='172210' date='Apr 8 2008, 01:40 PM']Hey Everybody,
I've decided when i grow up to be a big boy i want to get a sexy/chic valve amp with a bit of somethiong special to it. You know something that is easy on the eye and dosent look like i should plug it in to my telly for 5:1 or whatever surround sound.
I've been risking a good hiding form my boss by looking at pictures on the hyper mega net of the following - Orange, Hiwatt and Matamp (i bloody love the look of these)
Anybody paly through any opf these or anything along these lines?
let us know, tell us what you think. Why (if) are they better than these new fangled doo dahs?
lets discuss and then i can start putting away my pocket money into my midlands live cash acount and watch it grow.[/quote]

What sort of budget are you looking at? and how loud do you want? i'm not sure if matamp still make bass amps, but i believe the 'vintage' ones go for top dollar. Orange may be your best bet. Produced here so it's quite cheap, and 200 watts should be loud enough for most gigs.

There is also the usual Ampegs (the V4/V4-B/V4B-H) which are 100 watts, but all now discontinued. They can be had for around £500 if you look for them. But they may not have the 'wow factor yu're looking for.

Just thought, there is also the Fender Bassman 135. A chum on here has one and I've gigged it and it's bloody loud! I believe he got his for around £300ish, but may be wrong. That's 135 watts of great all tube goodness. Loverly!

Good luck in your search, I have a hankering for a valve amp myself...not that I even remotely need one!

As a suggestion there's a Trace Twin Valve combo on ebay right now which is a reasonable price but its only 100w.

Have a look for 70's English valve heads by [url="http://www.amps-n-bits.com/tube-amplifier-heads/sound-city-tube-amplifier-heads/Sound-City-100-mk3-custom-built(2)/Sound-City-100-mk3-custom-built.JPG"]Sound City[/url], [url="http://www.twotribesmusic.co.uk/inventory/images/151_small-Burman%20heads%20fr_s.jpg"]Burman[/url], Wallace, [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1098"]Simms Watts[/url] or [url="http://www2.uiah.fi/~jlummaa/superbass.jpg"]Marshall (Super Bass head)[/url]. Don't discount old [url="http://www.amps-n-bits.com/tube-amplifier-heads/simms-watts-tube-amplifier-heads/simms-watts-super-a.p-200/simms-watts-tube-amp-head-super-ap.-200-1.jpg"]PA heads[/url] as well, but they can be bastard heavy to load in and out of venues.

Most of these heads are around 100-200w so you'll need to pair them with either a [url="http://www.twotribesmusic.co.uk/inventory/images/243_small-Orange-cabs-x-7-+-OR-120_s.gif"]monster 70's cab with multiple drivers [/url](eg. a 4x12) or you could look for an ultra sensitive (say 103dB) modern cab to get the best out of them.

Alternatively if your budget can stretch, keep an eye out for the older Trace valve stuff like the [url="http://www.bassline.ch/produkte/bilder/div_pix/te_va350.jpg"]VA350[/url] or VA400, Mesa Boogie Buster combo (200w - the Gallery have one at the moment), or even the [url="http://i6.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/d6/57/3753_1.JPG"]Peavey Alphabass[/url] head.

Whether any of this stuff will make you go WOW is a matter of taste though :)

[quote name='umcoo' post='172225' date='Apr 8 2008, 01:59 PM']Just thought, there is also the Fender Bassman 135. A chum on here has one and I've gigged it and it's bloody loud! I believe he got his for around £300ish, but may be wrong. That's 135 watts of great all tube goodness. Loverly![/quote]

The Bassman 135 is indeed a ballsy amplifier. Much louder and better sounding than the Bassman 100, which I find a bit thin.

Ampeg V4/B/BH I got a '03 V4BH- has a DI on it-sounds superb!!!!!!!! If U want MORE power IMHO The NEW Ampeg SVT-VR or just as good IMHO & far cheaper an SVTII (non pro) Mines a '92 IIRC they were made '89-'93. Super simple tube circuit-beautiful thick tube sound! Overdrive that & thats a big WOW!!!

Selmer / WEM / Bird / Fenton-Weill / Grampion / Dallas / Shaftesbury / Elpico ...

[url="http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/"]http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/[/url]

Any of the classic big Selmers will give a Marshall a run for its money - but for a lot less money to start with. Even a top-of-the-range 60's Zodiac will only be about £500 while Treble'n'Bass 50's routinely go for under £300.

For smaller venues, try a WEM Dominator with a 15" Celestion (most have 12"). You can still get them - in great condition - for under £200 if you're prepared to keep looking.

I can't really talk from experience because in my 23 years I've only heard a few valve amps but after hearing an Ampeg SVT-VR through an 8x10 I knew that I could no longer progress in my life without having that all valve warmth, so...I recently bought an Ampeg SVT-CL with SVT410-HLF cab from MB1 through this forum. It had to be done, a lot of money but well worth it.
All I can really say is that you should get out there and hear as many all valve heads as you can to get a real idea of what's available/prices/and the kind of sound that valves will give you. A lot of people have very valid points and things to say about valve amps on this forum but just get out there and get a real idea of what they're like, or...take a gamble on something you can properly afford (I very much doubt you'll be disappointed). An important thing to remember is that a good cab will make an amazing difference. I've heard the same head through different cabs and the difference in sound is crazy - sounds like a completely different amp. Keep that in mind when auditioning anything.

(didn't mean to write a bloody essay)

[quote name='bremen' post='172301' date='Apr 8 2008, 03:04 PM']The Bassman 135 is indeed a ballsy amplifier. Much louder and better sounding than the Bassman 100, which I find a bit thin.[/quote]

Mine is a monster (as umcoo/chris knows). Ive been running a small patch lead to bridge the two channels and this kinda round things out a little more. Sounds great with guitar too.

I managed to pick mine up for £270ish IIRC. I think it would take something serious for me to let it go.

That said, the trace V4's are very highly spoken on here. If I was inclined then id try and check one out.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='174324' date='Apr 11 2008, 08:30 AM']For smaller venues, try a WEM Dominator with a 15" Celestion (most have 12"). You can still get them - in great condition - for under £200 if you're prepared to keep looking.[/quote]

+1
I love mine :)

[quote name='vegas_hooker' post='175900' date='Apr 13 2008, 09:47 PM']Mine is a monster (as umcoo/chris knows). Ive been running a small patch lead to bridge the two channels and this kinda round things out a little more. Sounds great with guitar too.

I managed to pick mine up for £270ish IIRC. I think it would take something serious for me to let it go.

That said, the trace V4's are very highly spoken on here. If I was inclined then id try and check one out.[/quote]
I seem to remember the V-series TE's are based on the Bassman circuitry, at least the pre-amp.
I'm about to sell my Bassman 135 if anyone is interested (gone the DI route when the Trace Twin isn't up to it) should be cheap-ish but I'll need to re-valve it first. As well as sounding great I've always reckoned they're the classiest looking amp head ever made

Edited by Shaggy

[quote name='Shaggy' post='176276' date='Apr 14 2008, 02:04 PM']I'm about to sell my Bassman 135 if anyone is interested (gone the DI route when the Trace Twin isn't up to it) should be cheap-ish[/quote]

Might be interested....How cheap is 'cheapish'?

[quote name='Shaggy' post='176276' date='Apr 14 2008, 02:04 PM']I seem to remember the V-series TE's are based on the Bassman circuitry, at least the pre-amp.[/quote]
Indeed the pre-amp is based on the Bassman circuit, a nice simple passive tone stack. Mmm. I like. :)

[quote name='nick' post='176306' date='Apr 14 2008, 02:56 PM']Might be interested....How cheap is 'cheapish'?[/quote]
About £250 after I've re-valved it? The current pre-amp valves are "Fender" branded so they're probabaly the original ones close on 30 years old! All controls working fine otherwise.

[quote name='Shaggy' post='176342' date='Apr 14 2008, 03:39 PM']About £250 after I've re-valved it? The current pre-amp valves are "Fender" branded so they're probabaly the original ones close on 30 years old! All controls working fine otherwise.[/quote]

PM'd you
Cheers

[quote name='umcoo' post='172225' date='Apr 8 2008, 01:59 PM']i'm not sure if matamp still make bass amps, but i believe the 'vintage' ones go for top dollar. Orange may be your best bet. Produced here so it's quite cheap, and 200 watts should be loud enough for most gigs.[/quote]

Matamp have just started making the classic 200w bass amp again. If I had enough money I'd get one, but there guitar heads are over a grand so im guessing it wont be cheap.
I have two cabs they made for me which are amazing.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='174324' date='Apr 11 2008, 08:30 AM']Selmer / WEM / Bird / Fenton-Weill / Grampion / Dallas / Shaftesbury / Elpico ...[/quote]

Sound City / Hiwatt / Linear / Vox / Roost / Laney / Orange / Traynor ....

Edited by obbm

I recently purchased a Fender 400PS. Pumps out 435W (with three 4ohm cabs), 290W (with two 4 ohm cabs) and 145W (with one 4 ohm cab). It wasn't explained to me that you wouldn't get the full 435W without three separate cabs.

The preamp section I think is pretty much a Bassman circuit. There's a "normal" (as opposed to "bass") channel as well, which sounds awesome for keyboards and guitar - it has reverb and tremolo as well.

It's a 70s' oddity but a really interesting amp. I'm going to experiment with different cabs to see how to get the best out of it.

Edited by The Funk