Why become a member? ×

Valve amps with a WOW factor.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='178498' date='Apr 17 2008, 01:14 AM']I want my SVT II, non PRO, back. :) Does anyone have one for sale?[/quote]

I love mine but it's a bit of a luxury to have sitting around and not being used very much.

Going in for a full valve service tomorrow and may well be up for grabs when it comes home :huh:

[quote name='molan' post='223371' date='Jun 21 2008, 12:53 AM']To be honest the buyer's guide is simply a list of a few tube amps & some basic specs and a pic of each one but sounds like a good starting point. Hiwatt Custom 400 rocking in at the most expensive I think at $5,500!

[/quote]I've worked on two originals of those and they remain the most powerful tube amps I've ever come across. I measured them at 445W RMS and nearly 700W peak distorted... :)

They have fantastic tone at any volume and tremendous dynamics too, you can actually play them quietly just by turning down the instrument and using a light touch. Probably the best tube amp tone I've ever heard for bass - I didn't buy either of them because they were expensive, and weigh a ton (about 90lbs if I remember right)... and would need a serious cabinet to do them justice, although I did wonder about getting one of the original oversize Hiwatt 4x12"s and loading it with EVs (making an 800W cab). It's not just the power, the head is physically wide and won't fit neatly on anything smaller.

I also loved the Trace Elliot V8 (clean - the overdrive mode wasn't very good, it killed all the bottom end), but they have build quality and reliability issues, and I had to pass on owning either of the ones I've been offered too.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='175778' date='Apr 13 2008, 06:05 PM']I can't really talk from experience because in my 23 years I've only heard a few valve amps but after hearing an Ampeg SVT-VR through an 8x10 I knew that I could no longer progress in my life without having that all valve warmth, so...I recently bought an Ampeg SVT-CL with SVT410-HLF cab from MB1 through this forum. It had to be done, a lot of money but well worth it.
All I can really say is that you should get out there and hear as many all valve heads as you can to get a real idea of what's available/prices/and the kind of sound that valves will give you. A lot of people have very valid points and things to say about valve amps on this forum but just get out there and get a real idea of what they're like, or...take a gamble on something you can properly afford (I very much doubt you'll be disappointed). An important thing to remember is that a good cab will make an amazing difference. I've heard the same head through different cabs and the difference in sound is crazy - sounds like a completely different amp. Keep that in mind when auditioning anything.

(didn't mean to write a bloody essay)[/quote]

i have to agree!!! my Ampeg SVT Classic was by far the best amp ive ever owned!! i wish i still had it!! bloody fantastic!

dont get me started on how much i want the vintage reissue version!!

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys

I just got a marshall mark 2 superbass and 4x12 1935 cab - I have noticed it clipping when a turn it to practice volume (i.e. to keep up with the drummer!) and when I drop the E to D. I have tried the cab with another amp and it works fine.....

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most helpfull

Cheers

Chris

[quote name='chrisalvey' timestamp='1318415760' post='1401747']
Hi Guys

I just got a marshall mark 2 superbass and 4x12 1935 cab - I have noticed it clipping when a turn it to practice volume (i.e. to keep up with the drummer!) and when I drop the E to D. I have tried the cab with another amp and it works fine.....

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most helpfull

Cheers

Chris
[/quote]
What a strange place - on a 3 year old thread - to ask for help!

Try the amps & cabs forum - hopefully you'll get more response.

Cheerz, John

Edited by KiOgon