Why become a member? ×

Octave pedals

fretmeister

Personally I currently use the OC2 and the EBS Octabass, OC2 just has that fantastic synthy tone to it but the EBS tracks much better and is cleaner sounding so depends on what sound you're after really. For clean just octave down I'd be looking at the Octabass, MXR Octave Deluxe or the Aguilar Octamiser. Personally I wasn't a fan of the POG as a traditional octaver.

[quote name='simwells' timestamp='1330103463' post='1552884']
Personally I currently use the OC2 and the EBS Octabass, OC2 just has that fantastic synthy tone to it but the EBS tracks much better and is cleaner sounding so depends on what sound you're after really.
[/quote]

Exactly the same as I was going to say.
Personally,the OC2 is one of my favourite(and most used) effects,but the EBS is much better for smoother applications.
I tried the MXR Deluxe,and thought it was a little 'dirtier' than the EBS and not quite as nice.

I have used lots of octave pedals over the years and the MXR Octave Deluxe is by far the best. It tracks the notes for longer (sustain fade) and it will pick up from as low as F#.

That's all very impressive, but the tone from the pedal is great. The Girth and Growl controls are great to shape all kinds of sparkly or low down synth type tones. The mid boost switch an awesome feature too. You can really cut through the mix when you activate this.

Mine gets a lot of use for funk, dub step and everything inbetween. I love it!

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1330105246' post='1552924']
I have used lots of octave pedals over the years and the MXR Octave Deluxe is by far the best. It tracks the notes for longer (sustain fade) and it will pick up from as low as F#.

That's all very impressive, but the tone from the pedal is great. The Girth and Growl controls are great to shape all kinds of sparkly or low down synth type tones. The mid boost switch an awesome feature too. You can really cut through the mix when you activate this.

[u][i][b]Mine gets a lot of use for funk, dub step and everything inbetween. I love it![/b][/i][/u]
[/quote]

The bit I've underlined may have made my mind up! That's what I want it for!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1330102546' post='1552864']
I've had Boss OC2 and 3 before, but I am lead to believe the newer ones like the Micro POG and the MXR Octave Deluxe track much better.
[/quote]

The tracking on the MXR won't be much/any better than the OC-2, they're based on the same tech. The Micro POG 'tracks' flawlessly because it's not actually tracking your note but digitally resampling the input signal to produce the octave voices - this makes it sound thin and weedy (as opposed to the beefy synthy sound from an analogue octave divider like the OC-2 or MXR). Digital harmonisers like the POGs/HOGs have their uses but they are totally different effects.

If it's an analogue octave sound you want (like the OC-2) then you really just need to get used to their foibles and adjust your playing (and input signal) to compensate.

Ive tried some of them (OC2, OC3, POG's, EBS, EHX..) and the one i like the tone and versatility of currently is the T-Rex Octavius. 1 up, 1 down a blend/mix and boost function. Tracks really well and doesnt get that synthlike tone so many others suffer from.

I have the ebs, mxr, oc2, dod octoplus, and have used the ehx, t Rex, Aguilar, and pog amoung others

The trex and pog sounded too digital to my ears, whereas the ebs and mxr are very close. With the different voicings available on the mxr, its my go to octave for most situations, although the ebs gets used for smoother applications.

It really is a case of try as many as you can. As you will be aware what sounds good in a bedroom does not always sound good in a gigging mix.

Sheps (pantherairsoft) board might serve as inspiration as he plays dubstep and drum and bass live.

I'm currently running both the Octave Deluxe and the Micro Pog on my board. They're very different pedals. I like the Octave Deluxe for how meaty and dirty is sounds, whereas I tend to find if Pog is switched on, my delay pedal is probably on too, since the Pog lends itself nicely to ambient styles - but that's by no means all the Pog can do. The tracking on the Pog is far better than the Octave Deluxe, although that's not to say the tracking on the Deluxe is bad, it's just the Pog can do the whole polyphonic tracking lark. I know I'm pretty much repeating what thisnameistaken has already said here, but I thought I'd just share my thoughts as I run both of the aforementioned pedals.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1330164511' post='1553511']Mmm. Sounds like I need more than one then! :D

Something digital / sampler that tracks perfectly just to add a small bit of thickness.... and something analogue to run into my envelope filter for gritty squelchy goodness!![/quote]

For what it's worth I did have an OC-2 and a Micro POG on my board for a while. I've just got the OC-2 now. The Micro POG is an interesting sound but not terribly useful for bass players unless you get a lot of 'alone time' during your band's songs - the digitised voices sound quite brittle and glassy (yes the octave down has this characteristic too) and it gets swamped by guitars / keys / horns.

The thing I found it was best at was for doubling the bass part 'on guitar' for that old-school reggae sound. We had just the one guitarist who was singing and playing rhythm so it was nice on some older-sounding tunes to add that higher octave doubling my part, and saved us the trouble of having a second guitarist. Ultimately though all those tunes dropped out of our set list so I got rid of the pedal.

FWIW I also saw Billy Bragg's bassist using a POG to do the same trick a couple of years ago (they were providing music for a play and 'Pressure Drop' was a recurring theme). They also had a guy using one on mandolin to produce organ sounds, so I guess the POG is pretty handy for making up the instruments you're lacking in a reggae band, but I'm not sure where else you could use one. ;)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1330108132' post='1552975']
The tracking on the MXR won't be much/any better than the OC-2, they're based on the same tech.
[/quote]

That may be true, but owning both pedals simultaneously, I also found the MXR tracked substantially better.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1330212609' post='1554282']
That may be true, but owning both pedals simultaneously, I also found the MXR tracked substantially better.
[/quote]

+1

I have also owned the OC-2 (now lives in my guitar pedal board) and OC-3 and the MXR is way better

Ive found the tracking of octave pedals really varies depending on the bass you use too. I used to have an Aguilar Octamizer but that had the worst tracking to me of any pedal ive tried, but plenty of people here are using it no problem.

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1330337036' post='1555727']
I love my OC-2. The fact it doesnt track perfectly works great for me.

I love when it glitches!
[/quote]

I don't like the glitches, but I love the sound of the OC2.
That's why I sold the MXR despite tracking better (too clean for my taste) and kept the OC2.
The trick (for me) is to not play on the very low registers and not to play very long sustained notes. Then the OC2 is king, for my own personal taste.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1330339941' post='1555784']
I don't like the glitches, but I love the sound of the OC2.
That's why I sold the MXR despite tracking better (too clean for my taste) and kept the OC2.
The trick (for me) is to not play on the very low registers and not to play very long sustained notes. Then the OC2 is king, for my own personal taste.
[/quote]

I got to be honest, when the tracking loses the note it really winds me up! I didn't get on with the OC-3 at all for both bass and guitar, but the OC-2 does sound great. Recorded some really cool hip-hop and D&B lines a few years ago with mine.

Would anyone happen to know if the Octave function on the Boss ME20b is based on the OC-2 or the OC-3?

I well like the octaver on the ME20b, but I was wondering it might be handy to have another different type for different songs. This one I find quite synthy which is great for when I'm covering songs like 'Crazy' and 'Pricetag'; but I was thinking another smoother one might be useful? Im asking if they're based on the OC2 or OC3 because I dont want to buy one in the future and find I've already got it on the MultiFX!!

Cheers in advance!

Alex