Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a good start up LINED fretless bass??

Jigster

Here is a shameless link to a great fretless bass that i currently hae for sale :happy:
I know that am biased but it realy is a great bass with a nice neck and fab tone

Here - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/166277-yamaha-trb-5-f/page__p__1543986__hl__trb__fromsearch__1#entry1543986"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/166277-yamaha-trb-5-f/page__p__1543986__hl__trb__fromsearch__1#entry1543986[/url]

Are you sure you want a lined fretless?

The only reason I ask that question is because I limited myself to lined instruments only when I was looking for one and severely limited my choices for the sake of a feature that I only made use of for about 6 hours before ignoring ever since...

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1329685457' post='1545993']
interesting advice on the lines guys - i guess it seems a little daunting to go from no frets to nothing!! Unsure about the whole intonating issue :mellow: without some sort of assistance B)
[/quote]

Its not nothing, there are dots on the top of the neck which help you out if needs be. But after a little while, you get used to it anyway.

interesting advice on the lines guys - i guess it seems a little daunting to go from no frets to nothing!! Unsure about the whole intonating issue :mellow: without some sort of assistance B)
[/quote]

Going to 'nothing' really isn't as big a deal as everyone thinks it is.
Once you've got the hang of it then you'll be the same as the rest of us who sit there muttering 'you don't need no steeenking fret markers'. :)
Like I said earlier, I bought into the 'got to have lines' thing as well.

A good indication of whether you'd get 'usage' from the fret markers is to look at the way you currently play the fretted bass.
If you peer over the front of the neck to see frets or markers at the moment then you're probably not ready to go 'line free'.
If you never, or hardly ever, resort to doing that, then you're almost certainly not going to do it with a fretless for any length of time either.

As I said earlier, this isn't about a dislike of fret markers, it's just about giving you a better range of instruments to choose from.

Now this intonation thing.

From a setup point of view, your 12th fret harmonic, your 12th position (or 12th fret) and your open string should all produce the same note - no different from a fretted bass guitar.
Fiddling about with that basic rule is a recipe for disaster.

From a playing perspective, getting that note 'spot on' every time is the ultimate goal and, like all ultimate goals, it doesn't always happen.
You need to listen carefully to what you're playing and be prepared to make fractional adjustments as you play - even the angle of your finger pushing he string against the fingerboard can make a difference to the note you achieve.

So, staying relaxed, listening to what you're playing and making any changes smoothly and (eventually) confidently is the key IMO.

Edited by icastle

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' timestamp='1329683496' post='1545948']
Vintage Icon VJ96 fretless, superb for just over £200, even less used.
[/quote]

+1. Aye, good bass indeed. I did own a Squier VM fretless (Squiers take on a Fender Jaco P) was the one and only fretless I have owned and regret selling it but try either of the two.

Hope this helps :)

[/quote]

A lined one won't really be any easier. Unlined, you have the dots on the important frets, which is all you have to remember. If you can play a fretted bass without having to look at it all of the time when playing, you should be able to get the hang of having no lines. IMHO lines just get in the way, and - as has been pointed out - once you get to grips with the concept they'll become irrelevant. Misleading/distracting even. Then you'd have to go out and buy and unlined and have to sell off the lined one ;)

[quote name='Jerry_B' timestamp='1329723705' post='1546270']
A lined one won't really be any easier. Unlined, you have the dots on the important frets, which is all you have to remember. If you can play a fretted bass without having to look at it all of the time when playing, you should be able to get the hang of having no lines. IMHO lines just get in the way, and - as has been pointed out - once you get to grips with the concept they'll become irrelevant. Misleading/distracting even. Then you'd have to go out and buy and unlined and have to sell off the lined one ;)
[/quote]

A bit like learning to ride a bike and then discovering you can't take the stabilisers off. :)

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1329679347' post='1545828']
The Yamaha RBX270F is a great bass and can be found dirt cheap used.
[/quote]

+1. I bought a real cheapie then did it up once I was happy that I'd keep going on F/L.

Fret lines make a big difference to me as someone who looks at what their playing - check out Jaco on youtube and you will see he spends most of his time peering at his lined fingerboard.
If you don't look, or if you are blind it makes no difference, but if you use your eyes, why not have the lines?
I disagree with the stabiliser analogy and I don't see how fret lines can be misleading or distracting, particularly if you are used to a fretted bass.
I've never heard of anyone selling a lined fretless bass in favour of an unlined one because they found it distracting.

I have the Tanglewood Rebel mentioned above and it's a lovely feeling and sounding instrument with TI flats, but the lack of lines is a problem for me.
I drew pencil lines because the side dots are between the frets, which is not much help.
Sometimes at gigs, it's hard to hear the notes clearly and fret lines are reassuring - you don't have to use them if you don't want or need to, but they don't get in the way.
The Squier is by far the nicest fretless bass I have played and compares very favourably with my friend's '64 de-fretted Fender Jazz.
I didn't like the Vintage one as much, but a lot of people prefer them, so it's a matter of personal taste - try before you buy.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1329741356' post='1546513']
Fret lines make a big difference to me as someone who looks at what their playing - check out Jaco on youtube and you will see he spends most of his time peering at his lined fingerboard.
If you don't look, or if you are blind it makes no difference, but if you use your eyes, why not have the lines?
I disagree with the stabiliser analogy and I don't see how fret lines can be misleading or distracting, particularly if you are used to a fretted bass.
I've never heard of anyone selling a lined fretless bass in favour of an unlined one because they found it distracting.

[/quote]

Ok, then I will be the first person then that sold their lined fretless bass in favour of an unlined one because they found it distracting. Quoting Star Wars, your eyes can decieve you as I have yet to find a lined fretless bass where all the lines are in the correct place. I find using muscle memory, using my ear and learning the characteristics of the fretboard far more important than relying on the lines to tell me where to fret. Knowing your fretboard is so important, more rewarding and frankly easier than having to learn how far to the left or right or on the line on a lined neck is to be accurate.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1329741356' post='1546513']

I have the Tanglewood Rebel mentioned above and it's a lovely feeling and sounding instrument with TI flats, but the lack of lines is a problem for me.
I drew pencil lines because the side dots are between the frets, which is not much help.
Sometimes at gigs, it's hard to hear the notes clearly and fret lines are reassuring - you don't have to use them if you don't want or need to, but they don't get in the way.
The Squier is by far the nicest fretless bass I have played and compares very favourably with my friend's '64 de-fretted Fender Jazz.
I didn't like the Vintage one as much, but a lot of people prefer them, so it's a matter of personal taste - try before you buy.
[/quote]

Hey, if you like lines then you like lines. :)
This is one of those things where there is no universally 'right' or 'wrong' answer - it's whatever works for the player.

I was just pointing out that I severely limited my selection of instrument because I [u]thought[/u] I needed lines and then discovered that I didn't.

I still don't see how the lines can be misleading or a distraction and I personally don't find unlined boards easier or more rewarding.
I also use [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]muscle memory, my ear and the characteristics of the fretboard - but I like to use my eyes too and the fret lines are an invaluable guide.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If they are so off putting and you don't need them, you don't have to use them - but if they're not there, you don't have the option.[/font][/color]