Why become a member? ×

What to do when trying out a Bass

slazman

[quote name='paul_c2' timestamp='1329657595' post='1545375']
Very expensive instruments are easy to play and make sound nice, its the budget ones which don't sound too great unless you really concentrate on technique, and are likely to sound squeaky or make odd noises.
[/quote]

I've found the same thing to be true with girlfriends. :D

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1329641144' post='1545054']
I don't give a monkey's wang what somebody thinks when I'm trying out a bass as I'm just mediocre.
The most important thing for me is to slowly and accurately fret EVERY single note on the fretboard, form open E to highest D# (whaddya mean some basses have more than 4 strings and 20 frets :lol: )
This done both accoustically and amplified.
If that's ok, next I'll check the electrics.
If they are ok, I'll start to worry about tone and how it feels.
Karl.
[/quote]

What karl said , also stand up with it and put your strap on and see how it feels then.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1329642230' post='1545073']
To be honest, the first thing I do when confronted by a bass is [i]inspect[/i] it. All the usual stuff;
Sight a line down the neck- is it straight?
What's the fretwork like?
How well assembled is it?
What does it feel like under the hand?
Then I'll play every fret on every string acoustically- listening for rattles, buzzes and unwanted resonances
Then I'll check the intonation and action
and finally... Is it actually in tune?

Then plug it in...

Have you any self-written pieces? Even just basic riffs? If so, you'll be the best judge of how the bass in your hands is working in that context.
As regards amps, I seek out medium/smallish combos and turn off any widgets, setting the EQ flat. That ought to minimise any unwanted contributions.
[/quote]

Absolutely - play it unplugged first and foremost. I consider myself average at best and do feel intimidated trying a bass out in a shop.

This is a good question. I tend to go to music shops when I know the place won't be crowded with the usual teenage shredders which means it's often empty and you can tend to feel a bit self conscious. I'm lucky in that I play a lot of blues so tend to just do some walking bass lines and switch off my brain in order to allow me to listen to the sound of the bass. Last time I was trying basses I played the sailors hornpipe (which I often play as a warm up) it gave the guys in the shop a bit of a laugh if nothing else.

[quote name='slazman' timestamp='1329637768' post='1545025']
I'm a pretty average player. Got a good sense of rhythm, understand some theory and can learn average difficulty bass lines from tabs. Improvisation isn't really my thing. I don't have the time or application these days to go back to the basics and build from there - I just want to continue play live within the scope of may abilities.

I love looking at basses in shops but have a bit of a challenge when I want to try one out - I know I am the man paying the money, but feel a bit inadequate that I cannot just pick up an instrument and play something that sounds sufficiently impressive to make the seller think I am a player ... I worry that I don't come across as a serious buyer and am dismissed as a time waster.

Same applies when or trying out before buying off a fellow 'Chatter - I bought a Ric a couple of years ago and knew the seller was a top notch player (I had seen his clips on You Tube) ... after playing a few pentatonic runs I handed the bass to him to show me what it could do.

Anybody got any suggestions how I can address my concerns? Who knows - if I get more confident I may be a buyer for your bass one day!
[/quote]

I would class myself as "absolutely average" and suffer all of the same angst. I am experimenting with a Shame Bypass switch at the moment.

Edited by ead

So pleased to see this thread and to know I'm not alone. I'll shortly be looking at spending a chunk of my retirement/redundancy lump sum on a bass that will exceed my ability by an embarrassing factor and have been dreading that in the shop test. But I've spent 40+ years drooling over quality gear and this will be my one chance to own an Alembic/Wal/Fodera/Zon/Ken Smith. Having said that, I've found that most shop staff couldn't give a monkeys. The contributions here have really helped, both in my resolve to thicken up the skin a bit and also in the really useful practical checklists. Thanks all.

Oh, my in-shop party pieces are Bach - the 5th Sarabande and the 2nd Courante for a bit of flash. They're pieces I know inside out and tell me all I want to know about sound and playability of the bass I'm playing.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1329690799' post='1546115']
Last time I was trying basses I played the sailors hornpipe (which I often play as a warm up) it gave the guys in the shop a bit of a laugh if nothing else.
[/quote]

I've been known to play the tune to Captain Pugwash from time to time. That's not quite the same is it?!
EDIT
And the last time tried out a bass I actually bought, I did as I have previously described. It was midweek (and not busy), so the sales assistant (a young lady) watched what I was doing and asked all about what I was doing?!
When it came to plugging in and playing, I tried a small piece of mine that guitarists hate because it's chordally self-supporting, and requires them to either double the melody or harmonise (not a strength for some guitarists)
I actually use it because it's a pain to play on some basses. If it's a pain to play, I won't buy the bass.
The few people in the shop were actually suitably impressed! I don't even know what the chords are! (So much for my theory!) I've tried looking through various directories, but probably haven't accounted for the fact that guitars thinnest 2 strings aren't what I'd expect them to be...

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

Speaking as someone who used to work in a bass shop, I've experienced both sides of trying basses out in shops. Yes, it can be intimidating while you're in there, but don't think that the staff will be listening out for every note you play and judging you. Generally when people played in the shop that I worked in, it just went in one ear and out of the other. That is of course with a few exceptions.

Those who try to show off; whether you can play machine gun triplets or you just think you can, all its going to do is serve to annoy the staff and fellow customers. Imagine someone going into a clothes shop, trying on some trousers and then running around screaming "LOOK AT ME!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE HOW GOOD I LOOK!??! I BET YOU WOULDN'T LOOK THIS GOOD IN THESE TROUSERS!!!" ... It's never going to go down well. That said, if that's how you play, then you should check that the instrument is good for that sort of thing, but just keep it to a minimum. I'm reminded of something that (I think) John Entwhistle said (I'm paraphrasing) "Jazz Fusion is like the smell of your own farts; it's alright alone in your bedroom, but you shouldn't enforce it on anyone else", I think that applies for slap/tap/solos in guitar shops too.

Those who bring their girlfriend/boyfriend into the shop and try to show off to them. This happened a lot more than you might believe. You may not be able to avoid bringing your partner into the shop, but personally, I'd check with them first whether they're actually interested. There's nothing more bile inducing than witnessing an impromptu bass serenade, nothing more funny than when the partner yawns and looks away, nothing more sad than witnessing someone realising that they no longer want to be in that relationship set to a bad version of "Dune Tune". Also, NEVER sing along with yourself.

Talking of singing along, there was a short trend for people to start scatting along with themselves. Just. Don't. Staff may mistake you for having a seizure.

I agree with people that have said "Just play what you'd normally play", take a deep breath and start playing some notes. Any shop staff that are worth their salt are not going to lose patience with you for just playing some simple bass lines and most staff won't bat an eyelid. Personally, I don't think playing the instrument unplugged has that much merit unless that's how you're used to playing that way. I've noticed with my own playing, that if I can't hear myself very well then I start playing harder and harder, which has given me pretty bad wrist tweeks in the past. Plug in, but turn to a level that you're comfortable with, don't be afraid to turn the volume down on the amp, no one will complain about that. Also, when they plug you in, make sure you use a similar amp to the one you have at home. Now, staff might get the arse about having to plug something else in, but f**k 'em, they're there to work. I always fall foul of the amazing old Portaflex they have at Vintage and Rare in Denmark Street, It's just soooo lovely!

Also, asking the staff to play the instrument for you is a great idea if you want to get a demo of the controls and maybe some sounds that you can get from the bass, but remember that a lot of the sound of the bass comes from your fingers, so it's going to sound very different when you start playing it yourself. This then brings me to another point. Just because they work in a guitar shop, doesn't actually mean they're any good. I've known a lot of shop staff in the 5 years I worked there, and I can name probably 2 that were really that good at playing, and many more that couldn't play at all (I'm leaving myself out of that little story, I'm not always sure whether I can play or not).

I think it's important to remember that sort of questioning philosophy when trying out basses too, just because it's a USA bass, doesn't mean its good, just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's good, and just because it's vintage, doesn't mean it's good. Even if you're dead set on getting the one that you've seen, try some other stuff too. You may love the other things, but more importantly it may demonstrate just how lovely the one you've fallen in love with is.

Apologies if this is a bit of a rant.

Jimmy Sims

Last time I actually tried out a bass in a music shop, I played quite a few Jam basslines, Pump it Up by Elvis Costello, Babylons Burning by The Ruts, and some Specials basslines.

My mate who was with me said quite a few people actually stopped in the store, and listened. I wasn`t doing it to be flash - those are the basslines I love. But, people seemed more interested in those basslines, than the endless shredding slap that they had previously walked past.

Maybe melody just happened to be appreciated that day.

play lot and lots on the same visit. So you try a jazz and it sounds good. right now go play everything else in the shop.
I also find trying to play hard things is good.

And ignore the sales pitch, the price tag and the brand.
Lets face it above a certain point there is a difference, but the difference between a £400 mass produced bass and a £1200 one will possibly not be as small as you would think.

Luke

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1329764967' post='1546999']
Last time I actually tried out a bass in a music shop, I played quite a few Jam basslines, Pump it Up by Elvis Costello, Babylons Burning by The Ruts, and some Specials basslines.

My mate who was with me said quite a few people actually stopped in the store, and listened. I wasn`t doing it to be flash - those are the basslines I love. But, people seemed more interested in those basslines, than the endless shredding slap that they had previously walked past.

Maybe melody just happened to be appreciated that day.
[/quote] same, had staff stop and ask to be show how I played my awful version of masta blasta