Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball launches a new line of Cobalt Strings for guitar and bass

Grand Wazoo

I tried their coated ones and didn't like the coarse feel of them, plus they didn't really lived up to the "longer life" prospect to me at least, I will try a set of these when they come out to see what the fuzz is all about, until that time I reserve judgement

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxyW5osj2IE[/media]

Edited by Grand Wazoo

I've had many different types of high end strings, and (what I consider) to be lower end strings (Roto 66 Swing Bass, Fender) and EB strings have always been consistent, and most of all, they are worth it. I am a Musicman fan, but I liked their strings way before I bought my first Stingray.

I'd like to try these. Slinky's work for me fine though, and the Group III flats are great!

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1329426120' post='1542433']
Will try but for something so real, it lacks little 'real' proof.

Throw a few names in a few graphs and anyone will believe anything, like climate change.
[/quote]

You don't believe in climate change?

OT: big fan of the Slinkys, might try these when I next need a set.

Edited by Jack

[quote name='Al Heeley' timestamp='1329515745' post='1543870']
ok i like slinkys, i'm also interested in getting harmonics from frets I've never got harmonics from before (probably not my frets) but most of all I'm interested in the higher output since I sometimes have the volume on 10 and i'm still getting blasted by the guitarist.
[/quote]

weeellll I suppose you could try your super loud cobalt string upgrade, oh yes, set you up good an' proper if you know what I mean? cost you a pretty penny mind, but no hype here, they are worth it honest to God, oh no sir, money sir? well, well it would be cheaper, well yes I guess that would work, but to untrained ears it would sound very very different, utterly different, and so low tech, I mean a volume control to go louder?! paff who's using them nowadays? I bet it isn't even a real cobalt volume control, well grandad if you are so behind the times... new cobalt strings are where it is.

I know quite a few people have reactions to nickel, so right away they've got people buying these strings but what's the price difference between nickel/steel to cobalt in raw or scrap?

Just wondered as it wouldn't surprise me them using cheap metal alloys in materials with strings and "sterling by musicman" save them money and also bump up the value due to the "properties" in these dark financial times.

Either way, I'm still happy with my Roto's :)

Peace out guys