Why become a member? ×

Mexican Fenders?

Townes1992

The VM Pickups are 'Duncan Designed' but made in the far east, not by Duncan. The ones I got with mine were microphonic, and I personally didn't like the sound they made much either. I was after a vintage growl, not a middy honk.

The bridge is no different from your standard Fender bridge in design - slightly cheaper metal maybe, but it is perfectly functional. Adding a Badass / Gotoh will certainly make a huge difference to sustain/tone though - as it will on an MIA Fender too.

The big selling point about the VM series is the neck, which is awesome and comes with blocks and binding (unusual for this price point). As the neck is the main point of contact between you and the bass it is important to have a good one! Everything else can be upgraded to suit you.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1329303805' post='1540204']
The VM Pickups are 'Duncan Designed' but made in the far east, not by Duncan. The ones I got with mine were microphonic, and I personally didn't like the sound they made much either. I was after a vintage growl, not a middy honk.

The bridge is no different from your standard Fender bridge in design - slightly cheaper metal maybe, but it is perfectly functional. Adding a Badass / Gotoh will certainly make a huge difference to sustain/tone though - as it will on an MIA Fender too.

The big selling point about the VM series is the neck, which is awesome and comes with blocks and binding (unusual for this price point). As the neck is the main point of contact between you and the bass it is important to have a good one! Everything else can be upgraded to suit you.
[/quote]

I didn't much like the pickups, put up against the real thing I thought they seriously lacked bandwidth, though they were quite punchy with a lot of low-mids/bass. I did like the acoustic tone though, as well as the neck I think the body wood is a good choice if you can put up with the weight (it's quite heavy). Definitely the VM would be my Squier preference if I was going to swap out the pickups.

Just to echo what's already been said on here - the quality varies an unbelievable amount.

Just before Christmas I tried a MIM Precision Standard (black/maple) and fell in love with it. I saved up, went back, and it had been sold. So I asked for another to be ordered in.

The second bass (identical to the first) was a shoddy piece of workmanship in comparison. I was the first person to touch the bass since it left the factory, as I un-boxed and unwrapped it. There was a scratch near the bridge which looked like a screwdriver had slipped. The bridge screw nearest the scratch was way off centre and not counter-sunk properly. And there were three dark filler/sap lines over an inch long on the fret board.

To be fair, it sounded and played great straight out of the box and seemed to have more bite than a MIA Special that I tried.
But I was put off by the minor QC faults that I wouldn't expect on a mid-priced bass.

Maybe I'll save up some more and get a Yank...

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1329226604' post='1539088']
The Ibanez ATK and SR series are fantastic basses for the money. They feel very different - the SR has a very thin neck, the ATK is much chunkier. But in terms of value for money both ranges are very haerd to beat.

IMO the SR500 is just about the best new bass you can buy under £500. And you can often pick them up used on here for £350ish.
[/quote]

I can vouch for that, I have had an SR600 for just over a year, and it plays and feels wonderful. I can't fault it.

I'll agree that they are variable. I'd buy a Stingray (for example) unplayed. In fact I have, twice. But if I was after a Fender I'd go to a shop, find one that I liked and walk out the door with that exact one. You just can't assume that two identical models will be the same.

As an aside, wood is wood and an organic, flexible, variable material. Why should they be identical even if they are made the same?

My MIM deluxe (passive) is a brilliant bass.

Easy as good quality as my US Standard. That said, it's a factory special run with US parts. But the neck, jazz spec, is really nice. The fretwork is immaculate, as is the finish and the neck figuring is really quite pretty. Actaully a bit prettier than my US.

I don't play it that much as I prefer either a P neck or the deeper neck on my 65RI jazz. But I do play it as it's so good.

My three basses are all as good as each other in their different ways. MIA, CIJ and MIM. I bought them all 2nd had but none of them have needed any work other than my setup for relief and intonation etc for strings.

I've got a MIM Standard P, 1994 according to the serial number, and I love it to be honest.

Best 'P-type' neck I've ever played.

I think it really comes down to 'try before you buy', lots of mixed experiences with pretty much any brand/model of bass it's all about what's right for you!

[size=4]I have owned a 2011 Mex Jazz bass for 6 months now and I have to say, it has really exceeded my expectations. The overall fit and finish is of an extremely high standard from the neck, to the body and components. It also is very lightweight, which suprised the hell out of me. Also the newer 2009 upgrade pickups, imo, have quite a hot sound for passive pickups and it certainly has a good wallop of growl and clarity. I wasn't expecting much to be honest when i ordered it blind from 'guitar guitar', but it really has suprised me quite a bit. The neck even has some nice flaming on the maple too :) It also sounds more 'jazz' like than the Geddy Lee I once owned curiosly enough.[/size]

[size=4]The guitarist in my bands 2010 mexi strat is also finished to a very impressive standard. [/size]

[size=4]Big thumbs up from me on the current mexico standards :)[/size]

Edited by 40hz

Hey all,
I played a great mexican Jazz just yesterday at a music store in birmingham. The neck was so smooth! :)
I also had a little play around on a VM which felt great, especially considering it was half the price. It did however lack a little sparkle that the mex had....the MIM just felt and sounded so crisp!!
I tried out an ibanez too, though i wasnt sure of the model, i think it was SR300....and again it sounded great but the shape was a little slim for my tastes, it didnt feel chuncky enough!
I plan on trying out some mexican precision basses soon, and i must add, its a pitty sunburst cost more :lol: !!

[quote name='Prunesquallor' timestamp='1329233110' post='1539226']I was advised to run screaming from anything in the ultra-cheap Affinity range.
[/quote]

Then you were badly advised! I've played a few and they have all been good - some excellent! You just can't go wrong for around £160!!

This thread inspired me to get my MIM Deluxe out.

Wow. I'd forgotten just how good it is. Just such a shame (for me) it's got a modern Jazz neck. Even though it it beautiful. Lovely, lovely figuring.

I do wonder if it has a P profile neck on it, if I'd have ever bought the 65 Jazz and the US P.

I did put a P neck on it for a bit, I had a MIM P "Upgrade" some time ago and put the neck of that on my Deluxe, put a Mighty Mite maple neck on the upgrade, which I liked so much I hardly played the Deluxe. I keep thinking about putting a fretless neck on it, but it's neck I like, even though I don't like the profile. Very odd!

Edited by bigjohn

Yeah im feeling quite content with my decision to go for a mex bass at them moment. Think 'm gonna side with precision over jazz, i too like the neck a little chunkier!
There is definitely a romance in buying a US made Fender though, just not sure if i'd feel too comfortable parting with that amount just yet ahha!!

as many have said on hear!! i imported a fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass (I think MIJ), It wass around £1000 and dont get me wrong it is nice to play, but.....
I was in a covers band and we had 2 different tunings so for ease and just incase something bad happened i bought myself a 'reasonably priced' second bass.

I have also used a MIA prescision and a MIM Jaguar bass, the MIJ Geddy lee is the nicest to play.

I bought a Yamaha BB425 5 string. (http://www.wembleyguitarcentre.com/Catalogue/Guitar-Centre/Bass-Guitars/Yamaha/Yamaha-BB425-5-String-Bass-Guitar-Black-BB425BL)

My first bass was a Yamaha RBX270 also.

Since owning the yamaha 5 string, the fender hasn't left my flat! i perfer the tone, weight, balance, everything! apart from looks the fender wins there!!

My Honest Opinion is to go for a yamaha! there well built, and alot of bass for the money.

• 7 months later...
Guest gazzatriumph

I bought a MIM P bass through guitar guitar, the one that arrived was poor, looked rough and crackled when plugged into an amp, I contacted Guitar Guitar and they agreed to replace it at no extra cost to myself. The next day another arrived and it looked like a totally different guitar really good quality, plays great just put a set of rotosounds on and very happy with the sound, so as others have said there are different quality guitars out there so go find a good one. I hope to try an American one in the future but would be suprised if they would persuade me to part with my MIM P bass and another £700. Just remember everyone is different so what suits me may not suit you.
Just to mention Guitar Guitars customer service was excellent, the next day after calling them the new bass arrived and the courier took the other one away.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought one blind off the bay a couple of years ago, as I needed a passive bass for some festies.

Thought it might be a pig but I was pleasantly suprised.

Did some light modding, mainly cosmetic although I swapped out the machines for some Wilkos.

Just put a new set of 66's on it... super.

For the money you can't really beat Yamaha for quality, they punch way above their weight and they never seem to get the label of a "beginner" bass. They are all built like tanks you will never have a problem with any of the fit and finish of one and they sound really great.

if you like the chunckier necks and that the BB series is just for you, P/J config with very hot pickups, you can pick them up for between £140 and £160 and you won't be disappointed, they are the kind of basses you will end up keeping for years and no matter what else you buy you will probs keep going back to them, its what's I've done lol.

I actually am selling my BB414 as I'm getting a 5 string version any day now lol, give me a pm if your interested :)

I've got no problem with Mexican Fenders. I've got a Mexican Precision,that I got cheap and have modified quite a bit and
it's really nice.When I've needed/wanted a P-Bass,it's always done the job well (I also have an '83 Squier Precision).
I also have a Mexican Jazz Deluxe V,and it is one of my most used basses.Again,I picked it up pretty cheaply but I really
like it.Some people complain about Fender's B string and active circuits,but I've never had anything other than a great
sound out of mine.

I think they are over priced in comparison to many copies, but I'm only going on the few that I've played and one that I owned.
They are built on the cheap and churned out with variable quality control.
The price is over twice what it would be without the name on the head stock.
I prefer the Squier CVs and even better the Faridas which are made in the same factory.

[quote name='Townes1992' timestamp='1329225707' post='1539061']
Thanks guys for all the advice thus far. I was heavily considering a VM squier, they seem to be popular, but the criticisms that Squier's get is always off putting. Being labelled as a 'beginners' bass sometimes makes me concerned about their longevity with redards to durability and versatility.
I do often wonder why they get such bad stick in some places i look, maybe because 1 of their models recieves bad press people hold it against the whole brand!!!
Thats interesting about the consistency of the MIA models, for their price range id hope that they are all consistently top quality :/. But yeah, if i settle on the MIM then i will definitely try before I buy, its ashame that Fender dont iron out this discrepancy with the MIM, £450+ is a huge chunk of money when you can't be sure of the quality.
I also considered the Ibanez ATK200 and another ibanez, the Roadster from the SR series, these are within my budget and look to be good basses.
I will certainly keep your advice in mind though and check out those VM's and Yamaha's, Cheers :)
[/quote]

At one point I owned 3 Jazz basses - a made in Japan fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass and a Japanese 62 reissue Jazz bass (both £800 basses and as good or better quality than US Fenders). But my guilty secret was that I preferred the sound and feel of the standard Squier Jazz Bass I bought secondhand for £95. There's a lot of brand snobbery among bass players and many wouldn't be seen dead playing a Squier.....however great it played or sounded.

Interestingly the original owner of my Squier (it's had 3 owners since he bought it new?) hunted me down and asked if I would sell it back to him. I've passed on to my nephew who is learning to play so the answer was no. It just goes to show there's more to a bass than the pricetag or the logo.

Edited by gjones