Why become a member? ×

how great jaydees are.

marcus bell

hi people :)
long time since i posted on here, but just took my jaydee to have some work done on it in birmingham by the guys at jaydee, really has fuelled my enthusiasm in the basses again, missing mine terribly :(, dont they just sound great and i think they are cheap for a brand new bass of that calibre too, not to mention the people at jaydee are a nice bunch and very helpful.

anyone else sharing my love?

marcus

[quote name='yorick' timestamp='1328772470' post='1532325']
Still have mine after 18 years... Nuff said
[/quote]

They're lovely instruments. Had one for about 9 or 10 years before moving it on (now in Deezbar's trusty hands). Mine was an early one ('87), and had some problems with the truss rod. Took it to JD to get it replaced, and he did it for a remarkably reasonable sum. Now there's a man who enjoys his job! A thoroughly nice bloke to boot.

[quote name='ScreencastTutor' timestamp='1328754471' post='1532303']
Whats the cheapest you could get a 2nd hand Jaydee for, purely out of interest? Love the sound of them.
[/quote]

I've seen them for £500-ish before, but buyer beware - many of the older ones have that bendy neck problem. I guess they're not a "fashionable" bass so they can be had fairly cheap.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1328775040' post='1532356']
Used to play them until I went on to Status...... but they are fantastic instruments. Always wanted a 5 string Calibas Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......
[/quote]

Yes, I should add that overall I've always preferred Status basses, even for doing Mark King impressions on. But then Status make some of the best instruments around!

[quote name='yorick' timestamp='1328772470' post='1532325']
Still have mine after 18 years... Nuff said
[/quote]

Bought my Roadie 1A new in 1985, still have it, will be in my will.

No bendy necks, had to adjust it once since I had it when it spent a week in a cold basement. Well, twice, adjusted it back again after I got home. Neck is sooooper fast!

I had Series II for 12 years but sold it after someone in the Netherlands offered me 1300 quid for it and it simply wasn't giving me the warmth I wanted for a main bass. I loved the body and neck on mine, the necks shift because of the mahogany and walnut in them. Neither are rigid woods but they are also responsible for the distinct sound of the instruments although the ebony fingerboard helps to some degree.

I didn't like the standard Jaydee preamp, it was a bit noisy and primitive so that got swapped out for a Bartolini 3 band unit which was vastly better.

As you will see from my sig, I hanker for a GA24 5 string.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1328943325' post='1535075']
I had Series II for 12 years but sold it after someone in the Netherlands offered me 1300 quid for it and it simply wasn't giving me the warmth I wanted for a main bass. I loved the body and neck on mine, the necks shift because of the mahogany and walnut in them. Neither are rigid woods but they are also responsible for the distinct sound of the instruments although the ebony fingerboard helps to some degree.
[/quote]

I haven't heard they had a reputation for necks moving. Sound is from the preamp and pickups. Ebony just lasts a long time and the mahogany sandwich neck doesn't have the dead spots you find in solid maple necks (around the 5th fret on the G string).

I allways wanted one and bought one a couple of years ago.
while its not what I would call very "versatile" Bass I still love it.
it gets the odd gig, so long as I bring some thing else too, to compensate for the things its not so good at.
but my JD (mark king one) remains and object of desire.
(Emily Loved him)

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1328751446' post='1532291']
I think they're pretty decent. I've always wanted one, but then been put off buying them in the past as I am told some can have very thin necks that bend like mad and need constant adjustment.
[/quote]

In the eighties I saved all my money to get a Jaydee.. It took me years to get that money since I didn't have a lot of money and hardly had anything left. Finally I made the trip to the bass center in Wapping and bought a white Jaydee..
It was a nightmare, the neck was absolutely no good.. I had it set up in a shop and by the time I got home it was curled again.
Send it back to John Diggins, the bass got lost during the transport back home, I finally got it back heavily damaged and the neck was the same as before..I wasted on my money on that bass, still angry about that and the way they made these badly build basses..

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1328958901' post='1535251']
I haven't heard they had a reputation for necks moving. Sound is from the preamp and pickups. Ebony just lasts a long time and the mahogany sandwich neck doesn't have the dead spots you find in solid maple necks (around the 5th fret on the G string).
[/quote]
The necks shift with changes in seasonal humidity.
Changing the preamp didn't change anything about the sound apart from making it sound more sparkly. Sound definitely comes from the wood and more specifically the neck wood. The fairly flat response P-type coils (they look like soapbars but they're not) don't affect the sound much. Rich had a Jaydee Roadie with an EMG loaded in it so might be able to comment more. Can't remember having dead spots in mine either.

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1328979288' post='1535616']
In the eighties I saved all my money to get a Jaydee.. It took me years to get that money since I didn't have a lot of money and hardly had anything left. Finally I made the trip to the bass center in Wapping and bought a white Jaydee..
It was a nightmare, the neck was absolutely no good.. I had it set up in a shop and by the time I got home it was curled again.
Send it back to John Diggins, the bass got lost during the transport back home, I finally got it back heavily damaged and the neck was the same as before..I wasted on my money on that bass, still angry about that and the way they made these badly build basses..
[/quote]

IIRC John was sold a bad batch of wood in the '80s. Not all his basses have dodgy necks, and it's a bit strange to infer that they do, especially give that other posters have already stated theirs are fine. How many have you played? The first JD I had someone had shaved the neck mercilessly and yes, it was iffy. The second was fantastic; it was just too heavy.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1328987899' post='1535805']
Changing the preamp didn't change anything about the sound apart from making it sound more sparkly. Sound definitely comes from the wood and more specifically the neck wood.
[/quote]

So changing the preamp changed nothing but the sound. Have to disagree about the contribution to the sound made by wood and pickups.

Horrible story about the bad Jaydee. Real shame it wasn't sorted and I can understand why wombatboter would have a poor regard for the basses. Would like to think John would have made more of an effort.

I suppose there's always likely to be a rogue one every now and then, especially with the basses being hand made. No excuse though and I'm sorry to read about your experience.