Why become a member? ×

how great jaydees are.

marcus bell

I've definitely played a few "rogues', all from the same period. However I've played several great ones too. In fact arguably the most incredible action I've ever come across on a bass was on a Jaydee that was in the Gallery once; quilt maple top with a trans brown finish IIRC. Anyone who knows me knows I usually like low action, (12th fret G about 1-2mm, depending on bass); this was possibly too low even for me. Be interested to hear if anyone got that bass.

FWIW I still crave a Starchild-derived bass. Given current physical issues though not sure I'd be able to play it!

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1329063738' post='1536649']
I drive past the Jaydee workshop daily and it still amazes me how a scabby looking industrial unit can make some of the most famous basses in the world.
[/quote]

The last time I drove through Moffat I was surprised to see that I couldn't discern the ACG workshop. I would have thought they'd have a sign outside saying 'best basses in the British Isles made here'.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1329063917' post='1536652']
The last time I drove through Moffat I was surprised to see that I couldn't discern the ACG workshop. I would have thought they'd have a sign outside saying 'best basses in the British Isles made here'.
[/quote]

He moved - partly - because he kept getting broken into at his old address; so I'd doubt he'd think that was a good idea. I've never owned a JayDee but i've a lot of time for John. After John Birch died, with my bass not quite finished, JD was the nearest luthier with a direct link to JB, so he wired my bass up excactly how JB would have done, at the same time telling me a few tales about how manic his days with JB were.

I had a JD Mark King back in the day, it was great. I have a lot of time for Mr Diggins. I had an issue with one of the pups, I phoned John up and went to the factory.

He put me 2 new pups in it, no questions asked. When I was there he had Mark Kings Starchild JD in the workshop and let me have a tinkle on it, pure magic.

Tony Iommi's JD guitar was in as well at the same time, also had a tinkle on that. I've always had serious GAS for a 6 string Mark King Starchild, now that would be something

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1329067875' post='1536723']
I had a JD Mark King back in the day, it was great. I have a lot of time for Mr Diggins. I had an issue with one of the pups, I phoned John up and went to the factory.

He put me 2 new pups in it, no questions asked. When I was there he had Mark Kings Starchild JD in the workshop and let me have a tinkle on it, pure magic.

Tony Iommi's JD guitar was in as well at the same time, also had a tinkle on that. I've always had serious GAS for a 6 string Mark King Starchild, now that would be something
[/quote]

John changed the pickups in my first JD no questions asked too. Unfortunately I hadn't asked him to and I preferred the originals! :lol: I sold it soon after.

So what was MK's action like then John? And how heavy was the bass (it was walnut instead of mahogany)?

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1329069952' post='1536770']
John changed the pickups in my first JD no questions asked too. Unfortunately I hadn't asked him to and I preferred the originals! :lol: I sold it soon after.

So what was MK's action like then John? And how heavy was the bass (it was walnut instead of mahogany)?
[/quote]

I sat with it on my knee. I didn't wear it as such, I can't remember much about the action, the bass weighed about the same as mine from memory, and I have no idea about the woods. :unsure: I think John only built Mark one Starchild, but I may be wrong.

I also played one of Entwhistles Buzzards at the Status factory one time, That had an action so low it was mad. Rob Green told me John liked them low and clanky :swoon:

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1329069952' post='1536770']

[/quote]

Yes, regardless of different neck experiences mahogany basses are not the lightest.

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1329074978' post='1536864']
I sat with it on my knee. I didn't wear it as such, I can't remember much about the action, the bass weighed about the same as mine from memory, and I have no idea about the woods. :unsure: I think John only built Mark one Starchild, but I may be wrong.

I also played one of Entwhistles Buzzards at the Status factory one time, That had an action so low it was mad. Rob Green told me John liked them low and clanky :swoon:
[/quote]

Only one so far as I'm aware too, although there have been copies (more or less) since.

Yep, I've heard about John's action before, although never had it confirmed. Lower than my/your Sei then? I knew I needed to lower it. :lol:

Rob famously set John's first Buzzard up as low as he thought it should be and John walked in, took a look and said " it'll go much lower than that!". Lowest I've ever had was my old Ric 4000. I once had that 1mm @ 12th fret all across the neck, and it still played & sounded great. Wish I hadn't sold It! Still don't think it was as low as that Jaydee I mentioned though.

Edited by 4000