Why become a member? ×

Opinions please: Covers set list.

Marvin

It's a proposed set list as yet. Some of it's been lifted from a previous band the singer and I were in. As for Black Night T13, I haven't even looked at it yet, as like many of the others. I'm not investing time in learning songs that might not even see the air of a rehearsal. :)

So the common comment is the diversity of the set. I see that as an issue as well, and think it'll be quite difficult to execute convincingly. The bands I see that get the most bookings seem to be the one's that are distinctive, locally to me, such as Dave Vader's band (that he's leaving). Furthermore, the Classic Rock tracks are played by several other bands locally already, so unless we're phenomenally fantastic at playing them, we'll be difficult to distinguish from 'the crowd'.

As for whether I like the songs themselves, a few yes, but on the whole not really.

[size=2][size=4]From your last post above, you are admitting the set list is a compromise. You have also made it clear your concerns and what you are up against to impress. So my advice is to not go out with a mishmash of songs just because you know them but to choose songs that hit the target audience in your local band venues. Shock and awe is the order of the day here, if you rehearse hard and nail the numbers and own them you could play anything. Obscure punk numbers , some Ska, Pretenders, Corgi’s, Blondie throw in some Metal album tracks and one C&W that should floor um. Conviction is the key; don't copy the rival bands in your patch aim to kick them into touch.[/size][/size]
[size=2] :yarr:[/size][size=2] :yarr:[/size][size=2] :yarr:[/size][size=2] :yarr:[/size]

Edited by deepbass5

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1328200884' post='1523562']
So the common comment is the diversity of the set. I see that as an issue as well, and think it'll be quite difficult to execute convincingly. The bands I see that get the most bookings seem to be the one's that are distinctive,
[/quote]
Yeah, the problem with a set that diverse is, that while there may be "something for everyone" there's going to be a whole lot of songs that [i]aren't for everyone[/i]. Identify your strengths, and what type of gigs you hope to do.

EDIT: Just had another look at the set. I think anyone would be forgiven for thinking that you had mixed up the set lists of a Rock covers band and a function band.

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1328206059' post='1523757']
Yeah, the problem with a set that diverse is, that while there may be "something for everyone" there's going to be a whole lot of songs that [i]aren't for everyone[/i]. Identify your strengths, and what type of gigs you hope to do.

EDIT: Just had another look at the set. I think anyone would be forgiven for thinking that you had mixed up the set lists of a Rock covers band and a function band.
[/quote]

The points you've raised Steve are unfortunately the ones that we've overlooked. And I think you're entirely right the set list does look like it doesn't know what it wants to be.

I look at that set list, and see a band who seem to like rock, but don`t want to pidgeon-hole themselves with the rock tag, thinking that this may restrict them, so they`ve added in some good well-known songs to the set to prevent that from happening. Like I said earlier, I`d happily listen to that set, theres nothing wrong with mainstream tunes - I`ve seen quite a few bands go down incredibly well using that formula. A band doesn`t have to have a genre-specific identity - they can just be a band that people like for playing bl**dy good music.

Edited by Lozz196

If you are playing in a random boozer filled with different ages etc, then the set will please most folk.

We have a similar dilemma, everything from ACDC to Pink, Muse to Katy Perry and Kinks to Lady Gaga.

If its a younger age group in the pubs the oldies are left out, a more mature audience and the Beatles and Tina Turner etc are wheeled out.

Sometimes its nice to play a diverse array of tunes. As for Use Somebody, we used to open with it, get it out of the way and often it felt flat, but, we learnt to play it late on, the drunks go mental for it!!

All in all it looks decent enough....as for All Cried Out and Toxic....I would love to do both, I think our singist would be awesome at both of them.

[quote name='Jambo10' timestamp='1328217029' post='1524035']
If its a younger age group in the pubs the oldies are left out, a more mature audience and the Beatles and Tina Turner etc are wheeled out.
[/quote]
It's nice to have enough numbers and a wide enough diversity to be able to tailor your set to the event.

There are some pretty decent songs in there. Once you're up and gigging though, you'll probably soon weed out the ones that don't quite cut the mustard. Keep throwing in new ones every so often and you'll find the best ones get played & the not so good ones fall by the wayside.

[quote name='Jambo10' timestamp='1328217029' post='1524035']

[/quote]

This TBH its only a set list with 20 odd songs on it and most of them look pretty basic ( well to play at the pub cover level ) if you rehearse regularly and your up to standard then it shouldnt take too long to get thee numbers down so you can add another 20 onto the set quickly enough and as Jambo says make the set list fit the audience. The other good thing about this is that it means your not going over the same songs at evert rehearsal.
One more tip get the lyrics and the chords printed out and give everyone a copy of that ( they should be easy enough to get from the internet) it makes the whole learning thing a lot easier :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1328276429' post='1524794']
Sex on Fire is the new Bown Eyed Girl!!!!
[/quote]

Is it wrong that we do both in one of my bands?

In the other one we also play Toxic. And Genie in a Bottle. But our male singer does those. Our female drummer handles Highway to Hell.

What we've tried to do, though, is make them our own. In fact, Toxic, Genie and Love Machine are three of our favourites because we play them less like the originals than most of the others in our list (e.g Jumping Jack Flash, Basket Case, Cold Hard Bitch, Hard to Handle).

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1328276429' post='1524794']
Sex on Fire is the new Bown Eyed Girl!!!!
[/quote]

I don't actually mind playing Brown Eyed Girl.
I never seem to play it the same way twice and it's become an expected game (both with the band and our audience 'regulars' to see what I can do to it next - I sneaked 'jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way' into it at xmas.

Most of the songs we play in my covers band are things that I have no strong feelings about in either direction, but
Sex on Fire... absolutely hate it. :(

I don't think diversity is an issue [b]if[/b], in the long run, you are looking at 60+ songs in the quiver (which IMO is essential for any pub band as audiences can really surprise you with what they respond to on the night). That way you'll be able to make set lists for specific gigs that not only suit the audience but also make sense. If you're only planning on having a single set list of 20-30 songs then I would first ask the question of "what type of band are we?" and then stick to that.

I would be happy enough to hear your set list as is but I think I'd rather be playing in a band with a bigger pool to pull from. We have 122 in our bag at the moment and there's very few songs that don't get used over the course of 4-5 gigs.

You can't win. If you play the usual cheesy cover band tracks (Summer of 69 et al) then you are accused of being unoriginal. If you play slightly outfield stuff then you get blank looks apart the weird couple standing at the back. There's nothing wrong, I think, with an eclectic mix as long as you aren't too precious. The only thing that matters is that the punters in the sort of places you play like it. If stuff is dying a death then drop it and try something else.

It's not a question of winning or loosing.

A cover band exists to play the numbers that an audience want to hear. If, as a musician, you want to be original and creative, "do your own thing" or just improve as a technical player you should be in another kind of band.

My solution is to be in both types and not to mix up their purposes.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1328353866' post='1525826']

A cover band exists to play the numbers that an audience want to hear. If, as a musician, you want to be original and creative, "do your own thing" or just improve as a technical player you should be in another kind of band.

[/quote]

+1

I`m in a covers band, and an originals band, and both are equally fulfilling - though the covers band pays more!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1328352539' post='1525805']
You can't win. If you play the usual cheesy cover band tracks (Summer of 69 et al) then you are accused of being unoriginal. If you play slightly outfield stuff then you get blank looks apart the weird couple standing at the back. There's nothing wrong, I think, with an eclectic mix as long as you aren't too precious. The only thing that matters is that the punters in the sort of places you play like it. If stuff is dying a death then drop it and try something else.
[/quote]

If playing a pub that like rock style stuff then we have the usual suspects, All Right Now, Summer of 69, Highway to Hell etc etc, but we throw in the odd curveball with stuff that not everyone plays, like, Hedonism, Plug in Baby, Arlandria. And instead of doing 1 Status quo track we do a medley instead.

Like has been said, if you have played the venue before you get to know what the crowd like and dislike and alter the set accordingly...it has worked ok for us so far anyway.

I don't think you have to be doing obscure songs to not have to do the usual suspects. Take 'All Cried Out'. I've not heard any other band around here do that one, and the times we have played it previously it's gone down well. The same with 'Weak', not done by others locally and goes down well.

You don't have to be radical to be different.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1328353866' post='1525826']

[/quote]

An originals band in North Devon, somewhat of a rare species. There will be those who tell you otherwise. If you're over 40 it's folk or blues and if it's teenagers they all seem to play metal. The choice is overwhelming. :)