Why become a member? ×

What do you do with basses you don't play?

woodyratm

I dont hang on to things, the sentimental things i keep are just small trinkets but actual stuff that can be used i always let them go.

I was hanging on to a Bass for years that was my first Bass, i never played it. eventually i decided to let it go to a good mate, who still has it (He hoards instruments) i remember seeing it cleaned up with new strings & being played on a regular basis it did actually look happy........things deserve to be used.
to the op: I know where your comming from i love the stingray & often drool over stingrays they are a dream Bass but if you dont play it anymore someone will & get genuine joy from ownership of this Bass.
It deserves love & to be played as a primary Bass.

My Sabre is gathering dust at the moment. My dad gave it to me (he bought it new in 1979) so I'd never sell it and its gorgeous to play, but these days i prefer the skinny Jazz necks. I did take the Sabre out a month or so ago, did a practice with it as I was waiting on a fret dress for the Jazz. I thought to myself "why oh why did I stop playing this bass?" and took it out on my next gig.
Then i remembered, halfway through the set when i couldn't really hear myself so much as feel the air moving beneath my waist. Great studio bass but needs some serious mid boost from the amp in a gig - the Jazz I just leave flat.
So now I just leave the Sabre at home for recording :)

I have managed to scale down my collection to three basses and they all get use every week. Before scaling down I did own 6 basses at one point, which for me at that time was excessive. All were top end instruments and it did pain me to cull three of them. But, I had to be sensible and decide which ones weren't being used the most and release the funds into other kit that I really needed at the time and also take a much deserved and overdue holiday with my partner! I still have the three survivors from that cull after very careful considerations…

I wanted to keep the Lakland because it's a good work horse and it is able to cover a lot of bases for me. Lakland must have been thinking about me when they designed the profile of the neck because it feels really great to me. This bass has had a very hard life living with me, but it has always remained consistent and reliable. It has probably been my most favourite instrument I have ever owned and also the most reasonably priced. It's quite special too...painted Inca Silver (uber rare for a 55-02), original Bart pickups and it's #54 ever made! The Thumb is just an incredible and stable instrument. It’s a heck of a lot of fun to play and is a popular bass with a lot of people that I work with because of its really barky tone. It's a 4 string and I need a break from the 5's once in a while. The MTD 535-24 is very much a house cat. It never sees a gig, rarely travels and I fundamentally only use it to record at home. It probably has the most balanced tone out of any bass I have ever owned. It sounds incredible through my EA iAmp!

I will need to do a revision again soon. Though the Lakland is amazing, it kills my back if performing with it for a long period, but I really don’t want to part with it. My plan is to now sell the MTD and retire the Lakland to studio use only and then replace that with a new and lighter Shuker Uberhorn 5 string (maybe 6 string). I have had to make the decision to get shot of the MTD in favour of relieving back pain and keep my collection down to a strict number of just three. I will never gig with the MTD, even though it is lighter than the Lakland, so it is packing its bags. As long as I have one great bass for live work, one great bass for studio work and one great 4 string to break up the monotony of playing 5 strings...that really works for me and I have no need for more instruments.

I think it ultimately comes down to only owning what is absolutely necessary, what will serve you best and what speaks to you as an musician finding or expressing their own voice. After 18yrs of constant playing I am much more in tune in what I want and what I expect from my instruments. Impulse buying is something I experience less of these days. Well, basses at least…amps are my GAS right now…bought a new EBS Neoline 210 this week! :lol:

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1328024674' post='1520465']
I have managed to scale down my collection to three basses and they all get use every week. Before scaling down I did own 6 basses at one point, which for me at that time was excessive. All were top end instruments and it did pain me to cull three of them. But, I had to be sensible and decide which ones weren't being used the most and release the funds into other kit that I really needed at the time and also take a much deserved and overdue holiday with my partner! I still have the three survivors from that cull after very careful considerations…

I wanted to keep the Lakland because it's a good work horse and it is able to cover a lot of bases for me. Lakland must have been thinking about me when they designed the profile of the neck because it feels really great to me. This bass has had a very hard life living with me, but it has always remained consistent and reliable. It has probably been my most favourite instrument I have ever owned and also the most reasonably priced. It's quite special too...painted Inca Silver (uber rare for a 55-02), original Bart pickups and it's #54 ever made! The Thumb is just an incredible and stable instrument. It’s a heck of a lot of fun to play and is a popular bass with a lot of people that I work with because of its really barky tone. It's a 4 string and I need a break from the 5's once in a while. The MTD 535-24 is very much a house cat. It never sees a gig, rarely travels and I fundamentally only use it to record at home. It probably has the most balanced tone out of any bass I have ever owned. It sounds incredible through my EA iAmp!

I will need to do a revision again soon. Though the Lakland is amazing, it kills my back if performing with it for a long period, but I really don’t want to part with it. My plan is to now sell the MTD and retire the Lakland to studio use only and then replace that with a new and lighter Shuker Uberhorn 5 string (maybe 6 string). I have had to make the decision to get shot of the MTD in favour of relieving back pain and keep my collection down to a strict number of just three. I will never gig with the MTD, even though it is lighter than the Lakland, so it is packing its bags. As long as I have one great bass for live work, one great bass for studio work and one great 4 string to break up the monotony of playing 5 strings...that really works for me and I have no need for more instruments.

I think it ultimately comes down to only owning what is absolutely necessary, what will serve you best and what speaks to you as an musician finding or expressing their own voice. After 18yrs of constant playing I am much more in tune in what I want and what I expect from my instruments. Impulse buying is something I experience less of these days. Well, basses at least…amps are my GAS right now…bought a new EBS Neoline 210 this week! :lol:
[/quote]

Thats pretty much my thoughts regarding more instruments. I'm not gigging enough and the Ray just chills in my flat.

Think I've decided what to do.

Thanks for this guys.

Everyone has their own motives and agendas for owning instruments, each to his own.

OP -your initial question revealed that you wern't in a position to make a decision that you are comfortable with. Maybe not enough info available yet ?

If finances aren't driving the agenda, why not wait until you are sure about what to do ? would it hurt to hold onto it until then ?

Edited by essexbasscat

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1328037845' post='1520765']
Everyone has their own motives and agendas for owning instruments, each to his own.

OP -your initial question revieled that you wern't in a position to make a decision that you are comfortable with. Maybe not enough info available yet ?

If finances aren't driving the agenda, why not wait until you are sure about what to do ? would it hurt to hold onto it until then ?
[/quote]

well they are and they aren't. not enough for me to rush the sale/trade.

some of mine sit in cases under my bed but they do come out occassionally and when they do I remember why I bought them in the first place. Those that don't do it for me anymore are my collateral for "Bass Monopoly" - when they get sold the money goes into new instruments - this weekend I sold my GA24 and put the money towards a Status Kingbass..

My Jaydee Roadie is currently "for sale" - don't really care if it doesn't sell - it just means that Nick (Doctor fo the Bass) has something to drool over when he comes round..that and my Stingray which he is selling his kidney to fund!! (( :lol:)) (( :lol:)) (( :lol:))

I'd wait till I've found something to GAS over then use the money to pay for this..

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1328115016' post='1522078']
This topic is making me think...
[/quote]
Me to! Makes me think about nice way of exposing my basses on the wall - like, some altar-style decorated set of hangers :D

Edited by Immo

I've got a fair few basses which I can use whenever the situation requires them.

Saying that, I prefer my instruments to be used, so some of them are on loan to friends (who are people I know will look after them!!)

At home I've only got a P-Bass, USA reissue '62 stack knob Jazz (which I'm refinishing tight now), and my fretless Stingray.

Out on loan are:
My 1974 Fender Jazz Bass (Paul Turner from Jamiroquai has it right now - had it over a year, I should really try to prise it back out of his grasp! Hahaha)
Rickenbacker 4001 - Fireglo
1966 Fender P-Bass sunburst

I've also got some old Fender and Gibson guitars on loan (I've only got my Fender Eric Johnson Strat and Custom Shop Fender Nocaster at home).

Oh yeah, I've also got my double bass at home too. Never gets used, but looks good in the corner!! Hahaha

I've had basses in the past which were really nice, but didn't get used, so I gave them away to young guys who showed "potential".:
Custom Shop Shell Pink P-Bass - given to an incredible young guy I met in London years ago. Can't remember his name, but he was an incredibly funky player
Fender 5 string Jazz with D-Audio active circuit and full SIMS LEDs installed - sent that to a guy in Perth, Western Australia as a freebie. I'm stilling touch with that guy (Lex Sadler) who now lives in Manhattan, and still has, and uses , the bass.
Jaydee GA24 fretless - gave that to a young guy called Rick James in London a few years back. I don't know much about him, but I was told at Thr time that he was a real shining light, he was pretty young when I gave him the bass, but I never actually met or spoke to him, so I font know the full story.
Martin D28 acoustic guitar - gave that to a relative in Australia when I was over one time.

I have burgeoned up to 5 basses again (from 2). Truth is, two of them will probably rarely get played - I bought them "in case [xyz] gig arrived" which of course it probably won't. For my current band I only need a DB and a fretless and - for recording - my P bass. One of the ones I should reall move on I am not allowed to by the Missus as its the same colour as our cat :rolleyes:

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1328164166' post='1522797']

Out on loan are:
My 1974 Fender Jazz Bass (Paul Turner from Jamiroquai has it right now - had it over a year, I should really try to prise it back out of his grasp! Hahaha)
Rickenbacker 4001 - Fireglo
1966 Fender P-Bass sunburst

[/quote]

I`d be in a state of constant worry if those three basses were mine, and out on loan. Thumbs up to you for being that brave!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1328166695' post='1522805']

I`d be in a state of constant worry if those three basses were mine, and out on loan. Thumbs up to you for being that brave!
[/quote]

+1
I do have a bass on loan - a pink johnston jazz.
Dont mind that. But wow.

For me i just can't bring myself to sell my basses, i sold only one years back when i was young and desparate for the Stingray i still have now. That was a Manson custom made thru neck job, played like a dream, but weighed a ton and i never really got on with the P only pickup sound. Looking back i wish i could have kept it but back then times were harder and i was younger !. Think ahead, do you want to be telling people "Yeah i had a Stingray once" sigh !

Best thing i did was NOT sell my Precision, times ticked by and suddenly i have a 78 P bass, thank the lord for that.

So these days for me im very happy to have my walls decorated with by far the best looking artwork in my house, but better than art i get to play them at will and have a multitude of sound options within arms reach.

Edited by jjay69

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1328184634' post='1523142']
Well having read this over the last few days has boosted me into action. Have just bought another bass - off of here - and when it arrives, I`ll be putting two up for sale, as I only really need two basses.
[/quote]

Let me guess lozz, is it a P-bass? :P