Why become a member? ×

Tony Franklin tells it how it is - you have to see this

redstriper

I watched this video years ago and I was deeply disappointed and even a bit angry because it was such a waste of time
I thought it was a bad idea to give him the means to make a video since he has so little to offer..
His intonation is bad, his ideas are so average and he should have paid more attention on his playing than on the looks and the moves. It didn't me inspire at all and luckily I found other fretless players with better advice which made me play more..

I bought an Abraham Laboriel "Groove" bass instructional video once. Great player, but crap instructor.

As for TF's vid...
Presumably made in the 80's, hence the hair, clothes?
Loved the "trippy oddness" of it all.
I didn't think he was taking himself too seriously, so not sure why anyone else should?
He was just giving his opinion at the time, he may have changed what he thinks now, who knows, who cares, Tony Franklin probably doesn't.

It's okay to not take yourself too seriously but you should take the music seriously...when you notice that you are playing out of tune you should practice until it's better and I certainly wouldn't put that on an instructional video.
I appeared at gigs like this in the late eighties but I still played my bass in tune..

[IMG]http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t247/wombatboter/JEUGD003.jpg[/IMG]

I found it a most entertaining video with some great laugh out loud moments.
TF seems a very nice chap and really into his playing, which I thought wasn't too shabby at all.
It's very dated of course and it shows how much things have changed over the years.
Funny how some old stuff is still cool (Jamerson, Familyman etc.) and some just hasn't stood the test of time.

Always thought that this was great playing from TF on this Glenn Hughes track - it's in tune and everything!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFHbOTW6bes"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFHbOTW6bes[/url]

Nice little bass solo at 2:02

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1327951430' post='1519398']
Yes very good, but how do you embed youtube videos?
[/quote]

the share option under the youtube video. copy and paste.

As for TF, I never said the sig. bass wasn't up to standard. I am sure its an excellent bass.

Great tone, I have to say.
I just think he is hardly an iconic artist to deserve such an accolade. His playing is cliché city. Compared to say, Pino's fretless work. Pino had unexpected riffs and fills.
I also found the 80's video presentation unbearable to watch, so maybe I didn't give it enough time (4 minutes, including lots of skips forward!)
As we always say, it is always about personal taste and opinions.