Why become a member? ×

Been cut off?

MarshallBTB

Dispite being booked as a Rock band, we were cut off after 3 songs at our last gig for being too 'heavy'. The band on before us also had their set cut short, despite being well described in the venues gig listing.
Surely its down to the venue and promoter to check out the bands their booking?
Anyone else had this and how did you react?

We came fairly close not too long ago! Got offered a gig at a city-centre bar that we'd never heard of, which in hindsight should have told us all we needed to know, but we did as we normally do and went in on a quiet evening to get a feel for the place, find out how big the stage was, see what kind of backline would be appropriate etc. On arrival we noticed the unnervingly clean surroundings, mirrors on every wall, little faux-fur trimmed bean-cubes to sit on, extensive cocktail menu served by a bloke in a suit, and Peroni at £4.10 a pint. We went to the bar and asked to have a word with the guy who organised the gigs, and the conversation between the suited guy with the cocktail shaker and us in our usual denim, leather, metal band t-shirts and new rock boots went something like:

Me - Can we speak to your gigs and events guy please? We'd like to ask about a booking.
Cock Tail - I'm afraid he's very busy and, not being funny, I really don't know how well you'd go down here!
Me - No sh*t! Your guy's already booked us, though, so it might be worth his time to come and talk.
Cock Tail - Oh! Erm.. hang on... (goes to fetch Ents. guy)
[5 mins later]
Ents - Hi there! I've just checked through my email and I see what's happened - I thought you were a [i]soul[/i] band!
Me - Yeah, the band name has the word '[i]soul[/i]' in it, but we're more "I will eat your____" than "sweet ____ music"
Ents - Well, thanks... I guess I'll get somebody else...

Part of me still wishes that we'd not asked, rocked in with as many marshall 1960s as we could borrow from guys we know and started erecting a full wall, but it could have only ended one way, so better not to have the aggro.

It wasn't a paid gig so thats not an issue. What was annoying was the fact that 'the manager upstairs' thought it was too heavy, he/she could have had the decency to talk to us about it, rather than have the soundman put the music back on after our 3rd song, which I wouldn't class as heavy anyway!

In a situation like that, I think I`d make sure that, even with no power, we at least played another 4 or 5 songs, with just the drums and the rest of the band singing (hollering).

Kindof a "you booked us, you want us off stage, have the b*lls to try and do it physically" thing.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1327762918' post='1516419']
In a situation like that, I think I`d make sure that, even with no power, we at least played another 4 or 5 songs, with just the drums and the rest of the band singing (hollering).

Kindof a "you booked us, you want us off stage, have the b*lls to try and do it physically" thing.
[/quote]
Did that once, not far from the OP's home town funnily enough.

It became apparent that though the promoter didn't have the b*lls,.the management seemed to be seriously considering it! :lol:

Oh to be young and stupid again... :)

[size=1]I do ok on the stupidity levels, it's just the young bit I struggle with![/size]

We make sure we have a varied set list (all covers) to cover all eventualities these days. However, a few years ago we played at a British Legion locally, and although being booked as a blues/rock band, after 3 songs the duty manager said some of the 'older' punters were moaning etc, saying we weren't the right sort of entertainment. We turned down a bit and played a few tunes slightly less rock/bluesy and things calmed a bit - then, some children in the club, including a couple with Downs syndrome asked to come up and sing, to which we obliged and made them part of band for a few numbers. The 'older' punters attitudes totally changed towards us and we suddenly were the greatest band they'd ever had. Funny how things work out

This band is all originals, the venue was a kind of poncy London bar/resturant type, should have seen it coming really. The sound was shocking as well.
Does anyone else think that playing in London is a complete waste of time (unless its a decent support slot)? For original bands that is. I love playing live even if its to nobody but the attitudes from most promoters/venues are soul destroying.

We had a police van turn up and cut us off once. The gig was out the back of a Sutton Coldfield pub on a Saturday night and apparently there had
been a bunch of noise complaints. We did get paid though and resolved to sound less offensive in future :blush:

Edited by Subbeh

[quote name='MarshallBTB' timestamp='1327792539' post='1516988']
This band is all originals, the venue was a kind of poncy London bar/resturant type, should have seen it coming really. The sound was shocking as well.
Does anyone else think that playing in London is a complete waste of time (unless its a decent support slot)? For original bands that is. I love playing live even if its to nobody but the attitudes from most promoters/venues are soul destroying.
[/quote]

Does seem it can be. A lot of my friends formed bands in London while at uni there - most failed miserably, one even dropped his dreams of working in the music industry because of it. I like my status in a yokel 'provincial' band :lol:

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1327801552' post='1517119']
We had a police van turn up and cut us off once. The gig was out the back of a Sutton Coldfield pub on a Saturday night and apparently there had
been a bunch of noise complaints. We did get paid though and resolved to sound less offensive in future :blush:
[/quote]

Loud music? In Sutton Coldfield? Oh dearie me no! Not on your nellie old thing! :lol:

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1327784573' post='1516854']
We make sure we have a varied set list (all covers) to cover all eventualities these days. However, a few years ago we played at a British Legion locally, and although being booked as a blues/rock band, after 3 songs the duty manager said some of the 'older' punters were moaning etc, saying we weren't the right sort of entertainment. We turned down a bit and played a few tunes slightly less rock/bluesy and things calmed a bit - then, some children in the club, including a couple with Downs syndrome asked to come up and sing, to which we obliged and made them part of band for a few numbers. The 'older' punters attitudes totally changed towards us and we suddenly were the greatest band they'd ever had. Funny how things work out
[/quote]

now [i]that's[/i] how to handle situations like this.

well played that man.

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1327801552' post='1517119']
[/quote]

Ah, that was probably my uncle. He always complains about live music :lol:
Sorry!

Top tip: If you're on a showcase/battle of the bands type bill at a mini-festival, and they're running really late and still have several other bands to put on, and it's raining, and there's only twenty people in the audience, and your drummer has already noised up the sound guy, don't attempt to do a song with a false ending. You won't get to do the real ending.

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1327784573' post='1516854']
[/quote]
[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1327826159' post='1517166']
now [i]that's[/i] how to handle situations like this.

well played that man.
[/quote]

Agree, quality all round.