Why become a member? ×

Sterling by Musicman Sub basses.

dave_bass5

I have to say that what puts me off slightly is the slim neck.
I love Jazz basses *despite* the thin neck, not because of it. I wish they came with the regular Stingray neck dimensions... Not that I need another Stingray style bass...

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1343645847' post='1752967']
I have to say that what puts me off slightly is the slim neck.
I love Jazz basses *despite* the thin neck, not because of it. I wish they came with the regular Stingray neck dimensions... Not that I need another Stingray style bass...
[/quote]

The Sterling by Musicman has a great neck, just like an EBMM. The thin neck is what put me off of the SUB basses.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1343647048' post='1753001']
The Sterling by Musicman has a great neck, just like an EBMM. The thin neck is what put me off of the SUB basses.[/quote]

Ah good, an excuse to get out of the SUB GAS... Aw, now I've got Sterling GAS instead. D'oh! :unsure:

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1343598677' post='1752643']
leftys??
[/quote]Sadly no left handers at this time. Though with the incredibly positive reaction the Subs have received so far, I would have thought there will be some coming soon! Just a guess but it would certainly make commercial sense.

For anyone worried about the neck profile, IF its anything like the Musicman Sterling (USA) neck that is on the Sterling 4 and Big Al 4, it is a brilliant profile.

Fender Jazz necks make my hands cramp a little, but I can deal with it. The neck on the Sterling (USA) is like a step between a Stingray and a Jazz...not TOO thin...and extremely fast. IMO, anyway.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1343669348' post='1753449']
For anyone worried about the neck profile, IF its anything like the Musicman Sterling (USA) neck that is on the Sterling 4 and Big Al 4, it is a brilliant profile.

Fender Jazz necks make my hands cramp a little, but I can deal with it. The neck on the Sterling (USA) is like a step between a Stingray and a Jazz...not TOO thin...and extremely fast. IMO, anyway.
[/quote]

tch tch, you're not helping! :angry:
:P

I just tried the White Sub the other day and it was rather disappointing in comparison with the Walnut version I tried before. Don't know why they sounded so different. The white one had less character, less Stingray tone. Hardly sounded like a Stingray. The Walnut nailed the Stringray tone for almost like 80%.
I'm gonna try the Walnut version again some day.

• 3 weeks later...

Played on the 5 string in Wunjos bass centre on Denmark street, very nice bass really smooth to play neck was really nice no sharp frets. Most importantly it sounded really nice, I actually think it sounded better than the £1700 stingray someone was playing at the same time!

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1345846557' post='1782500']
Here's a good demo of one:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yy7urpG81U[/media]
[/quote]

very impressed!
really nice sound, it definitely has the Stingray vibe, whatever pickup and preamp it has.

Sounds a little bit weak to me compared to a real one, the treble would take your head off and the bass boosted fully would blow my laptop speakers but it's nothing a John East preamp would not sort out so anyone wanting a narrow nut Ray could get a bargain as the rest of it looks good, 6 bolt neck, wheel of fortune etc. On one hand you could say a £400 bass should not need a new pre amp on the other what did I get extra for another £1500 on my Ray5 other than a B string? :o

Def doesn't sound quite like the real deal, but the basic tonal 'fingerprint' is there. If anything the eq range seems slightly more useful.
Very tempting with the narrow nut, I had a sterling ray 34ca for a while with the narrow nut, but shoddy build saw it returned.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread, but having owned one of these for a while and also gigged with it, I'd thought people may appreciate some additional thoughts.

The first comment is about the weight. The Ray5 is a heavy blighter, uncomfortably so at times. The website lists it as 'hardwood', and doesn't give any weight information, but I suppose I should weigh it myself when I get home, and compare it to the Status.

Secondly, as some others suggested above it does indeed suffer from neck dive. Having a strap that has a bit of friction over the shoulder reduces movement, but playing it sat down on your knee with no strap is where you notice it the most.

I'm not sure how the neck has been finished, but it seems that every time I play it, it feels like I'm rubbing something off the neck. At first I just thought it was residue from the factory, but it seems to keep happening - almost like the varnish / lacquer is not sticking. Visually there's nothing, but I worry that in a few months' time some sort of mark may appear.

On the 5 string, the string spacing is very narrow indeed. I've previously owned other 5- and 6-string basses, but with this one I'm really struggling to maintain both left and right hand accuracy due to the spacing.

Likewise, the bottom 'B' string is really loose to play. Now this may be down to the string gauge - but I'm find it very difficult to get a controlled attack with the 'B' string. This could be general issue with all 5-strings, but as with above, I don't remember it being an issue with previous 5- and 6-strings.

Sound-wise, my only gripe at the moment is that I don't have the same flexibility on the Ray as I do with my Status, but that's to be expected really.

Overall, I don't think this bass is necessarily a keeper. It still remains great value for money, but I suppose I demand just a bit more from my basses.

I have tried it out through my Gallien Krueger head and ampeg cab with my punk band. I usually use my Rickenbacker and the SUB doesn't match up, but we all know that. For 300 quid though, it's great value. Most importantly, it FEELS nice to play, yes the neck is thin, but only the same as a jazz bass and it's a nice contrast to my Ric. Played it through a PA with my other band (Irish Folk/Instrumental band) and it is a little lively in the sound dept for that. The RIC is much more suitable, but I think it's going to be ideal for the punk band, sounds nice and raw and fits well. But again, for 300 quid it is outstanding value