Why become a member? ×

What sort of music do you play?

paulypbass

I spread myself as thinly as I can because I listen to so many genres. I have played pop, metal, hip-hop, dub-step, dance, blues, folk, funk and even country (once!). My live band plays soul/funk covers, but we also do play our own material when we can squeeze it in which sounds very acid jazz. I would say I am a funk player at heart.

I stay away from jazz though. I love it and I have listened to jazz from a young age, but I have had a lot of failures and embarassments! One day I will nail it!

My band's music is fairly progressive I guess, but not in a cheesy kind of way, kind of in a early Genesis/Supertramp kind of way, with a healthy mixture of electronic and more modern influence.

The style of music I love to play though is R&B, Soul and Hip-Hop and some Jazz as well.

Edited by risingson

In my band, its more or less just straight out pop/punk (Think Busted, Bowling For Soup, Sum 41, etc....), although it did once range from pop down to the heavier end of the spectrum (Trivium, Bullet For My Valentine, etc...)

At home, depends on the mood i'm in, it could be anything from the poppiest of pop (Think Gaga, Jessie J) to the heaviest things i can think of at the moment. I'm alot more musically versatile (Is that the right word?) than i look.

Liam

Current 3 piece covers band covering a fairly eclectic range of stuff in the broad pop/rock field. If we like it, can make it work reasonably well and it goes down OK with the punters then it's got a decent shot of staying in the set. On Sat when we play we'll be doing stuff by Stereophonics, KoL, Killers, Neil Young, Elton John, Judas Priest, Blink182, Green Day, Deep Purple, U2 among others.

Band 1 - originals: swamp rock, americana, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - that sort of area

Band 2 - covers: The Faces (it's a Faces tribute band)

At home I mainly play Motown, Stax, Chic, Steely Dan etc. - I find those sort of lines the most enjoyable - and challenging - to play and I think that funk/soul feel carries over into the more rock oriented stuff I play live.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1327411577' post='1510711']
In my band, its more or less just straight out pop/punk (Think Busted, Bowling For Soup, Sum 41, etc....), although it did once range from pop down to the heavier end of the spectrum (Trivium, Bullet For My Valentine, etc...)

At home, depends on the mood i'm in, it could be anything from the poppiest of pop (Think Gaga, Jessie J) to the heaviest things i can think of at the moment. I'm alot more musically versatile (Is that the right word?) than i look.

Liam
[/quote]

Bullet FMV rehearse in the same studios where I go. I picked up one of Page's plectrums the other day which is now in my guitar case! Good Welsh Band.

Band No.1 is an original group called Cow is an acoustic, soul, pop, Motown, vocal harmony thing. Never been able to put my finger on the genre to be honest. Three acoustic guitars, bass and four vocals.

Band No.2 is an original group called Echo 109 is an electronic studio project. A mix of 80's electronic like Depeche Mode, Japan and modern EBM like Mind.In.A.Box.

At home I tend to practise bass lines for the above two bands or anything that takes my fancy from Pearl Jam, Jazz, Simple Minds or just just noodle away until I get bored.

Edited by Linus27

A little bit of everything, I think. With the band for the last few years I was playing Metal but now I'm just getting back into recording at home and just going with whatever sounds good (to me). I've got about thirty songs in various states of completion, all different kinds of styles of music and playing all the bass, drums & guitars myself. See sig for details.

I don't really 'play' anything as such (in terms of gigs), but I produce mainly electronic music: electro, pop, drum 'n' bass, dubstep, hip hop, ambient, etc.

If I'm noodling on the bass at home, it's anything from classical to heavy metal and (increasingly) jazz.

So fairly eclectic I suppose!