Why become a member? ×

Any Pino interviews?

leftyhook

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1326827506' post='1502517']
he used a squire for some recording. wow!
[/quote]

He is absolutely not one of those players consumed (or indeed confined) by gear it would seem. In fact, he seems to be virtually indifferent to the gear that he uses providing it gets the job done. There's something so very utilitarian about his gear choice, but this attitude isn't carried through with his bass playing. He is wall to wall pure class - an absolute giant of a bass player!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1326967192' post='1504308']
What's the story there, then?
[/quote]

Are you sitting comfortably?.......

Long, long ago......

I was contacted by exiled Geordie Alan Rogan (Guitar tech for The Who among others) who told me Pino Palladino was seeking a Precision bass in order to change direction after becoming aware that his fretless sound was being cloned in quite a few recordings at the time. Being based dahn sarf it was felt he would be paying a premium for a decent bass in the likes of Denmark Street and that better bargains could be had up North. That was true then (pre-internet and all) so I was asked to track down a pre-CBS bass as I had my finger on the pulse as far as North-east basses were concerned and had already done deals with Alan involving early Fenders so he knew I would be able to find the right piece.

Sure enough, I found THAT one - a fiesta red re-fin, all hardware original and priced it at £450.00 IIRC. After speaking to Pino directly, it was parcelled up and sent to him after I re-strung it with La Bella flats. This was in the belief that he would be going for the 'old school' sound and those strings were best suited to a 60s Precision. It turned out that Pino changed to rounds pretty quickly but then reported a few days later that he thought I was right after all and put the flats back on.

The rest, as they say.......

Quite proud of the connection, but it's ironic that, being retired now, I couldn't even afford one of the tribute models based on the one we dealt. :)

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1326969312' post='1504359']

Long, long ago......

I was contacted by exiled Geordie Alan Rogan (Guitar tech for The Who among others) who told me Pino Palladino was seeking a Precision bass in order to change direction after becoming aware that his fretless sound was being cloned in quite a few recordings at the time. Being based dahn sarf it was felt he would be paying a premium for a decent bass in the likes of Denmark Street and that better bargains could be had up North. That was true then (pre-internet and all) so I was asked to track down a pre-CBS bass as I had my finger on the pulse as far as North-east basses were concerned and had already done deals with Alan involving early Fenders so he knew I would be able to find the right piece.

Sure enough, I found THAT one - a fiesta red re-fin, all hardware original and priced it at £450.00 IIRC. After speaking to Pino directly, it was parcelled up and sent to him after I re-strung it with La Bella flats. This was in the belief that he would be going for the 'old school' sound and those strings were best suited to a 60s Precision. It turned out that Pino changed to rounds pretty quickly but then reported a few days later that he thought I was right after all and put the flats back on.

Quite proud of the connection, but it's ironic that, being retired now, I couldn't even afford one of the tribute models based on the one we dealt. :)
[/quote]

That's fab (kinda sad about the parting-shot though!)

I love stories like this! The 'backstage music biz' is full of this kind of real-ness!

Long, long ago......

[/quote]

This is incredibly cool.

Was it a 'local' bass?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1326976745' post='1504536']
This is incredibly cool.

Was it a 'local' bass?
[/quote]

It was indeed a local bass played by local people. I was told by most shops at the time "There's nothing for you here".

Then suddenly an 'insider' from....................wait for it.................................Grott Guitars :rolleyes: approached me to offer said instrument!

It was not part of their stock but privately owned and, after giving it the once over I immediately knew it was a good example.

As it happens, I think any Precision played by Pino would have become iconic as a result of his obvious talent although there was no way of knowing then that there would be keen interest in such a thing as a tribute model - it was just a secondhand Fender bass afer all.

Great piece of Bass history from Howard.
Actually,It is the third time I have heard that story. Howard told me once several years ago (had to prise it out of him..a modest chap our Howard), but I pretended that I hadn't heard his story before and got him to tell me all over again recently. ;) Love it!

I have a small link with the great man...ish

. My Wal, then fretless, had the fingerboard skimmed by Chris ( I think) from Overwater around 10 years ago in Sound Control, Newcastle ( Was he mates with Neil? can't recall . He had done the same job for Pino previously. Good enough for Pino.....

Rubbish bit of info compared to Howard's tale!

Long, long ago......

[/quote]

Congratulations, you are responsible for one of my favourite bass players playing one of my favourite basses of all time! Great story!

• 8 months later...

Long, long ago......

[/quote]

:)