Why become a member? ×

Do you tell someone ?

swanbrook

I have always believed in being honest I dropped my drummers bass drum, it was in a hard case and if fell about a foot but I still brought it over to him told him and got him to check it was ok.

Last weekend I was a dep for a local band with a female singer. It was freezing outside and roasting in the bar so I put my hard case out of the way and opened it to let my bass warm up. Don't know if it does any good but I have been doing it for 20 years and I have not killed a bass yet.
Anyway singer come in and try to move a open case with the Handel (the lid was open so you could see the bass ) out pops my Dingwall abII flying across the floor arse over tit.
She then did a quick look left look right nobody saw that and walked away. She diddnt see me behind her. So I picked it up and put it away.

Me being me I couldn't let it go and had to say something. She still never said a word !

I played a blinder of a gig, the guys where trilled and asked about me doing more dates but

1) I am lucky enough to be too busy and
2) I honestly don't think I could

Rant over ;-)
Oh btw the bass was fine

Edited by swanbrook

1) Can't believe someone would dare touch/move an open case with another musician's instrument in it (especially a dep). I'd be asking your permission or getting you to move it yourself.

2) Yes I'd tell the owner immediately. I'd be worried that they'd be angry/upset but better to say something straight away and not having it hang over you.

Edited by rOB

First thing I would do would be to poo myself, then pick up whatever it was and inspect it myself. Regardless of the condition. I would then take it to the owner, explain what happened while pointing out any damage I may be responsible for whilst apologising profusely. As awkward as it might be, most players would appreciate someone being up front about it even if there isn't anything wrong with the instrument. Luckily the worst thing like this I've ever done was broken somebody's strap while adjusting it. Bought them a much better one to compensate for it too :D

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1326733452' post='1501231']
It was freezing outside and roasting in the bar so I put my hard case out of the way and opened it to let my bass warm up. Don't know if it does any good but I have been doing it for 20 years and I have not killed a bass yet.
[/quote]

I'd agree with all said as regards the dropping of the bass but this bit interested me.
I've read of owners of vinatge Gibbos bringing a cased guitar indoors but NOT opening it for a while; quite a while, sometimes even hurrying up the acclimatisation with a hair-dryer to the outside of the case. It was apparently done so as to avoid crazing a nitro finish with the sudden shock of coming from hot to cold - or cold to hot with the sudden opening of the case. IF there any truth in it then opening the case straight away would - I guess - remove any benefit of the process.

I let my bass acclimatise before a gig/practice. Don't know if it makes a difference but it just seems right.

General rule in the band is "touch my bass and die", simple to understand, no confusion, measurable outcome :)

Edited by ead

Perhaps did not see you because her ego was in the way.

Why was she touching your instrument, singers have no business touching instruments.

I bet she was just a singer and does not play any other instrument, any real musician would confess.

A hairbrush diva methinks.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1326773548' post='1501774']
I'd agree with all said as regards the dropping of the bass but this bit interested me.
[b]I've read of owners of vinatge Gibbos bringing a cased guitar indoors but NOT opening it for a while; quite a while, sometimes even hurrying up the acclimatisation with a hair-dryer to the outside of the case. It was apparently done so as to avoid crazing a nitro finish with the sudden shock of coming from hot to cold - or cold to hot with the sudden opening of the case. IF there any truth in it then opening the case straight away would - I guess - remove any benefit of the process.[/b]
[/quote]

This. You don't want to shock your bass into acclimatising, it needs to be done gently.
I have a 1980 nitro finished bass which was gigged for many years in Minnesota - where they have very hot summers and very cold winters. The bass has more crazing than Keith Richards' scrotum on bath night and was achieved by loads of quick, cold to hot / hot to cold changes just going outside to inside and vice versa.

I have had lots of incidences of band members and crew knocking over my instruments. The worst being my old Warwick Dolphin Pro 1 Custom. Second night out and the venue tech ran across the stage (for no apparent reason) and tripped over the lead that was still attached to the bass and dragged it 10ft behind him! That’s what I got for showing off my new bass by placing it in front of the amp! Luckily, little damage was done...a 5” scuff on the back of the body, a small lacquer crack on the heel and a dink in the headstock. He looked at me with the expression on his face as if I was going to make him some concrete boots and throw him in the Rheine, but he was very sincere with his apology (at least I thought he was…couldn’t speak any English!) and bought my drinks for me for the rest of the evening. But, after playing the gig with the dink in the headstock in full view winding me up even more I took the decision after that evening to leave the instruments behind the backline for safety going forward. I would expect no-one but myself to wander around the back of my amp, so it has always been a safe place to keep them when I am off stage. We all like to show off our shiny and expensive instruments, but do that when it’s strapped over your shoulders!

It's always a good habit to get into to leave your instrument out of the case for a while so that it can get adjusted to the temperature of the room/venue. Ever tuned up during a line check and then returning an hour later finding your instrument flat? The heat of the room will affect the strings and even the bow of the neck. A venue will get warmer as the evening goes on due to stage lighting and increasing volume of people adding more heat and moisture. It's a tough battle to keep in tune, but you can help the burden. As every performing musician on this forum knows, setting up the stage for a gig is a hazardous place and no-one wants to leave their pride and joy exposed to potential accidents, but if you can find a safe place to acclimatise your instruments as soon as you arrive at the venue (such as behind your rig) then it will help you later.

Edited by shizznit

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1326789161' post='1501824']
Perhaps did not see you because her ego was in the way.

Why was she touching your instrument, singers have no business touching instruments.

I bet she was just a singer and does not play any other instrument, any real musician would confess.

A hairbrush diva methinks.
[/quote]

Worse , she play a Martin guitar but would have no idea how much daddy paid for it. I am not being bitchy she would tell you the same

I worked my ass off for every bass I have and can tell how much I paid for everyone of them

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1326842651' post='1502822']
I worked my ass off for every bass I have and can tell how much I paid for everyone of them
[/quote]

Thats a good point. Sometimes that fact is missed when someone knocks over your pride and joy. Emotional attachment for an inanimate object is always hard to convey to another person, but when you have had to graft hard to buy a top instrument it symbolises every hour you had to work to get it. That's why I don't get upset about knocking over a £60 microphone!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1326891233' post='1503258']
I'd have claimed the bass was knackered (take the battery out) and laid a monster guilt-trip on the singer by way of revenge. One unethical turn deserves another...
[/quote]

Hehe! That's just plain mean (but considerable!)

I'm Paranoid about my band gear period, as I also own the PA and Monitors, Lights etc.
I set up two basses on stands to acclimatise and tune them prior to going on, and I surround them with things to avoid clumsy people squeezing by.
And that’s basically it; there are clumsy people and considerate careful people. You get to know those around you and which are which.

Have you noticed the same people packing away are the ones that will just pull a mic lead till it comes free or snaps? They will fell drum and Mike stands in their haste

phew!! I gunna lie down for a while, I've come over all angry for you . :angry: