Why become a member? ×

Fretless player who is cocky, just how embarrassed will i be with a double bass??

BassInMyFace

class myself as a fairly advanced player and have been gigging my fretless (homemade jaco tribute) for a couple of years now. almost certain now that im gonna buy a double bass in the very near future. that said, reading these threads has started getting me nervous.
just how out of my depth can i expect to be? am i crazy to be thinking already how its going to sound in my band's set?

obviously all the set up and technicalities are gonna be a steep learning curve but playability-wise, ie the crucial bit, just how out of my comfort zone am i likely to be?

so far i am gathering that note spaces are much greater, thumb position is a much bigger deal, the instrument is much more "physical", expensive repairs if not careful with it, set up is key to playability.

reassurance/advice would be much appreciated!!

also decided this much about purchase, hybrid construction, secondhand, budget up to £800 depending on what kind of deal comes up on here/gumtree/fleabay.

i do have a track record of starting instruments then moving on (please see my dusty piano/flamenco guitar/trombone for evidence) but bass has always been my number 1 and am loving the thought of having that acoustic tone on tap.

bottom line, am i letting myself in for a world of pain?

I'm new to it all as well, so you're not alone!

I've been struggling to find the time to practice as I've been recording with my band, but I suspect now having got a bit more of a feel for the instrument of the past week or two that have fretless experience will help somewhat. However, rightly you pointed out that left hand thumb positioning is integral to getting your intonation right and the left hand technique involved is quite simply a pig to get down after years of position playing on electric.

Best of luck with it all, I've found it to be a lot of fun to play!

[quote name='BassInMyFace' timestamp='1326491727' post='1498115']

bottom line, am i letting myself in for a world of pain?
[/quote]
Yes but the pleasure that comes later will more than make up for the pain.
I agree with Jakenewmanbass a teacher will save you a load of stumbling in the dark.
The approach to fingering is very different from EB. I too play a few different instruments including Trom and piano. The Trom has now totally given way to the Bass. Enjoy the journey.

There was a thread a wee while ago from a guy who was thinking of buying an unlined fretless electric. He was afraid of playing without lines to guide him. I think it is the fear that can hold us back. If you just dive in and give it a go you'll either sink or swim. As you play fretless electric already you're more likely to swim. Just go for it.

You are me two years ago. The techniques are different but the issues are the same. Time, intomation, phrasing etc. You just have to deal with the differing variables. You are half way there as a fretless player in terms of being used to focussing on intonation but, in short, you are starting a new journey that will bring with it highs and lows but I have yet to hear anyone say they regret it. Your budget is a credible starting point so that worry is not grave, the rest will be the same as it always has been; is it the right pick up, is the action too high, where do I put my thumb!!

As for thumb position, that is a world of pain to start with but it will come. You would be surprised how many great players avoid thumb position almost entirely e.g Paul Chambers

It's a really rewarding instrument to learn, very satisfying to play, but don't dive into it expecting to reproduce your fretless bass repertoire immediately (or at all) - treat it as a different instrument and don't be despondent if it humbles you in the beginning. Take pleasure from the simple stuff at first and gradually build up your stamina and technique.

Also as far as your band's sound is concerned, if you've got a loud band you might struggle to get heard at all. IMHO the upright works best with sparse instrumentation.

It's a musical instrument. You have managed to learn the bass guitar and the double bass is a similar beast just requiring a new approach and technique. Like the bass guitar you should be fine if you apply some time and dedication to it. Its not like its a totally different instrument like saxaphone or flute.

Go for it and let us know how you get on.

thanks very much all, your comments as ever are genuinely useful and reassuring.

i think "thisnameistaken" summed it up very eloquently,
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It's a really rewarding instrument to learn, very satisfying to play, but don't dive into it expecting to reproduce your fretless bass repertoire immediately (or at all) - treat it as a different instrument and don't be despondent if it humbles you in the beginning. Take pleasure from the simple stuff at first and gradually build up your stamina and technique.[/font][/color]

that sounds to me like solid advice! think humbling might prove to be a pretty key issue. who doesnt like a challenge tho hey?!
as and when i take the plunge i will no doubt be back to whinge and moan and ask you kindly folks for more pearls of wisdom.

many thanks and i will let you know how i get on.

For me, I found that there was far less I could bring to double bass as an electric bassist than I thought. It really is a different beast. Obviously the role of a bass player and the notes are the same (although as some have noted, one note is often more preferable to several!) but it really is not an easy transition!

Saying that I feel I'm making progress now and it's a great feeling. I took off the "dots" (only one or two) that I had on the neck helping me and now it's very challenging but I'm using my ears so much more!

Good luck, and don't be stealin' my gigs!!

[quote name='BassInMyFace' timestamp='1326491727' post='1498115']
....im gonna buy a double bass in the very near future. that said, reading these threads has started getting me nervous. just how out of my depth can i expect to be? am i crazy to be thinking already how its going to sound in my band's set?....
[/quote]
Get one, have lessons, get good, then let us know how it sounds in the band.

Most likely you will scream with frustration; humbling won't be the half of it.

All i'd add to the good advice above is that it's an instrument that insists on being take seriously, and that means a daily practice routine. If you do that, you will amaze yourself. If you're haphazard you'll probably find it too punishing and quit.

I came from fretless and having the ears hugely helped. As for left hand techniques, there are methods that better suit bass guitarists than the usual classical methid, but you'll find what suits you once you get going.

Go for it. You will never regret it. Biggest surprise of all in a band context is the sheer weight of that sound. No going back. :)

My advice would be go for it but be prepared for hard work, I got an upright 10 years ago after a few years on fretless . physically its really different but musically it's very similar.
I'd say try and learn the classical left hand technique at least to start with ie. fingers 1 2 and 4 for semitones. The simandl method is a very good book that nearly all classical players start with.
get stuck in mate

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1326491909' post='1498116']
Yes.
but it`s worth it if you stick with it.
[/quote]

This.
When I ever I start an instrument the first few sessions on it decide weather it'll stick or not. Depends on weather I find it exciting to play and love the sound that happens when I play it.
Be good if you could meet with a double basser on a regular basis to hype transition the change from electric to upright.