Why become a member? ×

Today I shall be watching...Guy Pratt!

acidbass

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1326591542' post='1499374']
Funny in interviews, but his name-dropping anecdotes isn't my idea of' stand-up comedy'

On the plus side, I remember seeing him in Ice House and loved his playing.

Wasted in....

Pink Flo.....zzzzzzz......y....ya-a-a-a-wnn............d....
[/quote]

Watch it !!! I've got feelings too you know. :lol: :P ;)
I thought Guy was the star of the show during the Delicate Sound of Thunder Tour. His solo was briliant and entertaining and what a sound he had on the VID.
I remember Ice House and thinking they were good at the time but can't say i remember any of their songs. ?
Didn't know Guy Pratt was the bassist either.

Aaah you live and learn.

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1326621554' post='1499508']I remember Ice House and thinking they were good at the time but can't say i remember any of their songs. ?
Didn't know Guy Pratt was the bassist either.[/quote]

He played bass with Icehouse live for a few years and on some of two albums ("Sidewalk" and "Measure for Measure"), but he wasn't the band's first or even longest-serving bassist. Mostly, he replayed parts that Iva Davies had written and already put down on demo, so his importance to the band shouldn't be overstated. Pratt seems to think, and say, that he played a larger part in affairs than, in fact, he did. But, even though he's somewhat disingenuous about the band's music (which basically means of Iva's songwriting), Iva still talks quite fondly of him. Out of interest, Iva, as well as being a highly underrated guitarist, is also an excellent bassist, and it's him you can hear playing on many other of the Icehouse albums, alongside the credited bassists.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1326621554' post='1499508']
Watch it !!! I've got feelings too you know. :lol: :P ;)
I thought Guy was the star of the show during the Delicate Sound of Thunder Tour. His solo was briliant and entertaining and what a sound he had on the VID.
I remember Ice House and thinking they were good at the time but can't say i remember any of their songs. ?
Didn't know Guy Pratt was the bassist either.

Aaah you live and learn.

Cheers
Dave
[/quote]

No no no, Guy Pratt is an excellent bassist,...just Pink Floyd. I had the chance to join a Pink Floyd tribute show, listened without rose coloured spectacles( I love DSOTM and WYWH albums in my youth) and heard not a lot that would tickle my bass fingers.

As for Ice House, I definitely remember seeing him with them on TOTP's (when he had Gordon Ramsay style hair...I think it was him?!!) but I take on board what has been said about someone else's bass lines.

Don't get me wrong, if I met him I would bleed him dry of his tips (not his hair tips from TOTP's that is)

I would jump at being in a Pink Floyd tribute band :)

Guy plays bass and makes a living out of it (and earns far more than I do at my regular job).

All hail Mr Pratt (I would have changed my name tbh) and all who make money from playing bass :lol:

Edit: I can't stand Roger Waters as a bloke but I think his bass riffage is pretty cool :)

Edited by Blademan_98

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1326639306' post='1499784']
No no no, Guy Pratt is an excellent bassist,...just Pink Floyd. I had the chance to join a Pink Floyd tribute show, listened without rose coloured spectacles( I love DSOTM and WYWH albums in my youth) and heard not a lot that would tickle my bass fingers.

As for Ice House, I definitely remember seeing him with them on TOTP's (when he had Gordon Ramsay style hair...I think it was him?!!) but I take on board what has been said about someone else's bass lines.

Don't get me wrong, if I met him I would bleed him dry of his tips (not his hair tips from TOTP's that is)
[/quote]

You either take to Floyd's music or you don't. I'm not a fan of all their music but like some of it.

You had the chance to join a Floyd tribute band and you said NO. :o
You are just rubbing salt into my wounds now. :lol:
To be honest don't think i could have done that gig either. Probably get a little bored with it after the novelty wore off.

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1326639306' post='1499784']As for Ice House, I definitely remember seeing him with them on TOTP's (when he had Gordon Ramsay style hair...I think it was him?!!) but I take on board what has been said about someone else's bass lines.[/quote]
Then you saw him "performing" "Hey, Little Girl" (from the album Primitive Man, aka Love in Motion) miming, with an SB1000, to a line that was written and played by Iva Davies. Is he still making his Roxy Music joke about that song? Well, must be easy to slag off someone else's creativity, when you were just a bit-part player.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1326649864' post='1499935']
Then you saw him "performing" "Hey, Little Girl" (from the album Primitive Man, aka Love in Motion) miming, with an SB1000, to a line that was written and played by Iva Davies. Is he still making his Roxy Music joke about that song? Well, must be easy to slag off someone else's creativity, when you were just a bit-part player.
[/quote]
Yes it was hey Little Girl. Yes with the Aria bass. So it wasn't him on the recording? Then hats off to Iva Davies
BTW has anyone read his book? I think it's the one that his "stand-up" show is basses on.

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1326675733' post='1500461']Yes it was hey Little Girl. ... So it wasn't [Pratt] on the recording? Then hats off to Iva Davies ...[/quote]
Davies started writing and recording the "Primitive Man" (aka "Love in Motion") album, from which "Hey, Little Girl" was taken (along with songs such as "Great Southern Land", "Street Cafe" and a rerecorded version of the single b-side "Goodnight, Mr Matthews") in '81, with the album being released in '82. The only "member" of Icehouse featured on this album is Iva Davies, with Abe Laboriel contributing additional bass on one track ("Mysterious Thing") and Keith Forsey additional percussion. In support of the release of "Primitive Man" it was necessary for Davies to put together a band to tour, and, along with the return of John Lloyd (drums) from the second Flowers lineup, Robert Kretschmer (guitar), Andy Qunta (keyboards) and Guy Pratt (bass) were recruited to the Icehouse touring band. "Primitive Man" was the only Icehouse album to be completely played by Davies, all subsequent albums involving a more extensive roster of musicians, including Pratt on the albums "Sidewalk" ('84) and "Measure for Measure" ('86), but, for the most part, these musician were following parts written and played by Davies on his "demos". Pratt was involved in the lineup which toured in support of "Sidewalk" but was no longer involved with the band when it toured in support of "Measure for Measure". Icehouse went on to have greatest success with the album "Man of Colours", released in '87, which went on to become the biggest selling album in Australia in '88 (outselling INXS's "Kick"), with Steve Morgan on bass (his instrument of choice being a Yamaha BB5000).

Oooo, topical as ive just got around to reading his book (after owning it for 2 years and never even starting it ive now only just got it on my ipad and am now getting in to it).
I like his playing and am enjoying his book but not sure of him as a person. I dont actually find him funny, and think he has a bit of a cocky attitude but he seems like an interesting person.
I spent all yesterday moring in bed watching some of his videos, this was my favorite (the bass off at the end made me laugh)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PquY0ZivYFE[/media]

Because of this ive also been listening to Icehouse for the first time (other than Little girl). Some of its a bit too 80's for me but on the whole i think Iva is/was a fantastic song writer.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1326717591' post='1500835'][I]ve also been listening ot Icehouse for the first time (other than Little girl). Some of its a bit too 80's for me but on the whole i think Iva is/was a fantastic song writer.[/quote]
Well, it was the 80s! Davies was at the cutting edge with technology, using the likes of Linn and Prophet in '81, and going on to use Fairlight thereafter. If you want to hear Icehouse in the 90s, although with Steve Morgan on bass, not Pratt, look for tracks from the "Code Blue" and "Big Wheel" albums.

I met Guy back in 1990, top bloke, very courteous and friendly. I loved his playing with Floyd and his playing was a big influence on me.

Went to see his stand up thing in Salford Quays a few years back. Very good fun and got see the infamous "Betsy" Jazz bass close up, as he played a few of his most famous lines.

Only problem was, there was a fire alarm in the middle of the show, which left everybody a bit bewildered, even Guy himself lol - the show just kind of fizzled out when everybody came back into the building for the last bit... :lol:

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1326718515' post='1500859']
Well, it was the 80s! Davies was at the cutting edge with technology, using the likes of Linn and Prophet in '81, and going on to use Fairlight thereafter. If you want to hear Icehouse in the 90s, although with Steve Morgan on bass, not Pratt, look for tracks from the "Code Blue" and "Big Wheel" albums.
[/quote]

The album i have is the White heat album and yes, the more upto date ones sound really good. I do like the 80's just wasnt aware of how much they put out back then so was taken by surprise when i put it on.

Sticking my neck out here, but Guy Pratt, is probably no more talented than a lot of musicians on this forum. That goes for his musicianship, and his 'comedy exploits'.

The difference is, probably, a massive amount of confidence (arrogance some may say) self-belief and getting himself out there where and when it mattered.

This is a rather ambiguous thought as I have not read his book and is not an attack on GP, but it a theory we can put to many of the famous bassists, except for the likes of Jaco.
There are many many musicians sat in their home replicating some mind-boggling bass lines created by bassists in the limelight, but those who have made it just got out there and did it.Probably had many knock and rejections on the way , but they got there.

BTW nor is it an attack on bedroom bassists! if they are happy doing that then that is fine.

Edited by leftyhook

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1326719272' post='1500876']I do like the 80's just wasnt aware of how much [Icehouse] put out back then so was taken by surprise when i put it on.[/quote]
Like many acts back then, non album singles were released, but there were just five albums in the 80s, the last of which has gone on to become the largest selling Australasian album by an Australian act, and set a record for having all five of the singles taken from it reach the top thirty. Pratt is one of some 24 additional musicians to be a member of Icehouse, one of seven bassists, and not even the longest serving bassist (that award goes to Steve Morgan who was there for 18 years before returning in 2009; Pratt served three years). Saying that, in those three years he met the likes of David Bowie and Brian Eno, David Byrne and Bryan Ferry, Ian McCulloch and Steven Jansen, and the late Michael Hutchence, among others, some of whom he went on to work with in later years.