Why become a member? ×

Why is making music so important to you?

xilddx

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1326229044' post='1494227']
Haha, me too.

Then a giant musical catharsis happened. My best friend (he still is) introduced me to Hemispheres by Rush when I was 15. He'd brought the album into school for English as the teacher wanted examples of what we thought were great lyrics. I looked at the cover and found it slightly dangerous and deeply intriguing, the three characters' photos looked amazing and instead of pretending to be Ian Wallace while playing football, suddenly I was Alex Lifeson! I was obsessed and it was about two months before I heard the album. My mate loaned it to me. I remember putting it on, and feeling even more overwhelmed than I was at age four with Lily the Pink, from the first chord I knew I had to be a guitarist. I played the album constantly, insisting my mum and dad listened too. They sort of liked it. I still love that album. I got a cheap guitar and learned stuff. I got some lessons for a few months. He taught me the chords to Hemispheres, and how to learn lead. I could actually PLAY Hemispheres!! When he showed me that opening chord and I first gingerly played it myself, I felt pure, unadulterated joy, a euphoria that no drugs can reproduce.

[/quote]

Ah, that breakthrough when you first hear an album and something inside goes 'Yes! [b]This[/b] is it...'
Aged 12, I was visiting my cousins. Cousin Stuart then aged 16, put a record on their new stereogram and said 'You shouldn't be listening to all that stuff on Radio 1. This is what you should be listening to'.
It was Led Zep II.
The earth moved... B)

I think you've got to stop worrying about "why" everything is the way it is. If you keep on asking "why" about everything, your brain will just end up hurting. Why do I do it? I suppose it's because I enjoy it, it makes me feel good and it gives me something to do. If you feel like you're not enjoying it any more, maybe it's time to take a break or something?

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1326286533' post='1494897']
What I meant was, I envy those who can simply enjoy playing. A friend of mine loves playing, could play pretty much anything and get enjoyment out of it. That must be nice. I could never be like that.

I suffer constant emotional turmoil but hate every minute of feeling like that. As we've sort of discussed before, I like things to be relaxed, pleasant, simple, and of course they never are. I actually create better when I'm relaxed and happy, which could explain some of my more recent output and playing!
[/quote]

That is a great shame. I play for enjoyment. Of course I want it to be good but I don't get terribly upset if it doesn't go right.

I just enjoy making music :) and if someone pays me and enjoys it too, then yippee win win.

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1326302546' post='1495193']
i make music and i like people to hear what music me and my lot create because i plainly want to rock out and make tunes that people can dance and rock out to also and feel the same feeling that i did when that tune was written.
[/quote]

Wey hey - just checked out your videos.
Looks like good fun dude.

Garry

The act of creation - using no more than fingers, ears and a portion of the brain coupled with a bit of wood and metal creating something that pleases my ears. And the ability to convey an emotion in a literal sense to another human being using a universal language. If you listen to Tracks of My Tears or Dock of the Bay, Comfortably Numb.. they all convey an emotion - a moment in time, be it an actual experience or somebody placing themselves in that position mentally. I've always believed that the best songs are those that convey the emotion that inspired the writer to create it - like a picture for the ears. I'll sit down now and take my tablet...

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1326302899' post='1495198']
Wey hey - just checked out your videos.
Looks like good fun dude.

Garry
[/quote]

Thanks Garry, yeah its lots of fun!! I just love being in a rock band. and trying to be a rockstar whenever i can. nowt better than seeing your fans singing your lyrics back at you down the front :)

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1326292119' post='1494998']
I think you've got to stop worrying about "why" everything is the way it is. If you keep on asking "why" about everything, your brain will just end up hurting. Why do I do it? I suppose it's because I enjoy it, it makes me feel good and it gives me something to do. If you feel like you're not enjoying it any more, maybe it's time to take a break or something?
[/quote]
Sorry mate, it's in my DNA to ask why.

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1326154917' post='1493216']
So people can argue about what i do on internet forums :ph34r:
[/quote]
Wheres the god damn like button?

Personally I came for the beer and the bitches.......

Honestly at the moment I prefer playing original sets because having done the covers thing and the hired hand thing for so long, from my late teens into my mid twenties, I fell that I missed the chance to stir up that magical blend of youthfull ignorance, overconfidence and creativity.
Due to a work accident a few years back I practically had to start over from scratch with the bass and still dont have 60% of the ability I once had. Ergo I'm taking the opportunity now to get somewhat creative and expressive. A case of second chances perhaps?
Basically it's more rewarding for me in my current mindset.
Theres nothing better than seeing a room full of people enjoying something you had a part in creating.

One gig that sticks out was in Galway a few years back. We were on the bill with about 7 other bands all of them within the punk genre to some degree. There just happened to be a grandfather (the chap was in his mid 60's I'd say) of one of the kids whos band opened the show present for our set.
Being more of a classic rock type band we knew the response would be low. After about 10 minutes in I looked towards the back of the hall and there was the auld guy rocking out with his wife, totally in the zone.
Talking to them after we finished up he said that he took his grandson to all his gigs and waited to take him home afterwards. He then went on to say that he hadnt been to a show which had a band of our genre in over 10 years and that we had re-ignited his passion for live rock bands and that he and the missus had had a great time. The chap was genuinely grateful. It was quite touching really.

Having said all that I'm slowly getting back into the covers and session work to pay the bills. I'm limiting the jobs I take to those which will allow me a scope to play what I find most rewarding musically, mostly wedding ceremonies, corporate shindigs etc. Easy money for an hours noodling on the Ramirez.

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1326303394' post='1495210']
Thanks Garry, yeah its lots of fun!! I just love being in a rock band. and trying to be a rockstar whenever i can. nowt better than seeing your fans singing your lyrics back at you down the front :)
[/quote]

Why do I keep reading Lesbian Bed Death as Lesbian Bed Bath? :lol: