Why become a member? ×

Friendly seller of a 1972 Fender Precision

danweb22

Just trawling the bay and saw a 1972 Fender P, someone had asked a fairly sensible question;

Q: Hi, Just looking at the numbers you've stated, I would think your bass is more likely to be a '1973' than a '1972'. The backplate number 39xxxx corresponds best with the 1973 Fender serial number range 370000-530000. The neck number 01033913 also suggests 1973 - I have similar 1973 Precision bass with neck number 01032423. I think that the last digit, 3, indicates the year of manufacture, i.e. 1973. I am a bit concerned that your pot code number is 1378331, which would correspond to the 31st week of 1983. The pot code on my bass is 1377310, the 10th week of 1973, which is right for the year of manufacture. Are you sure you read the pot code correctly? It should be 1377331...sometimes they are difficult to read due to solder covering them over. Sorry to be a bit of an anorak, but maybe you will find this information useful. Rergards, Tony.

and got this answer;

A: Tony thanks for your informed comments but unless you want to bid i couldn't give a fek about your comments. Sure there might have been a pot change etc etc like the oil filter on your 2004 ford focus , why bother viewing and commenting, view prior , bid to win !

How pleasant! :lol:

Edited by danweb22

Oh, somehow I forgot about the situation in Poland...
There is a couple that goes to Germany, buys a lot of instrument junk with couple of jewels among it (I found perfect vintage EB-3 style mini humbacker) and taking it to Poland for resale. Usually they describe the junk as it was extremely rare vintage stuff worthy far more than they ask for it. They were hard to talk to as they tend to be always right. I, once or twice, tried to help them and told them what their merchandise really were - eg. they were selling Musima bass from East Germany as a fine Japanese P Bass and I recognised it in few moments - but they always said something like '[i]whatever, we deal with this all our lives, we know better, our instruments are the finest, bla bla'[/i]. No '[i]thank you[/i]', nothing.

But hell, the story goes on!
After few situations where the clients were... well, let's say 'dissatisfied'..., someone wrote about them on our forum. Then, there were few responses. Somehow, the guy found it and became berserk. At first he started to anonymously threat some of our users with '[b]friends from ZOMO[/b]' ([i]ZOMO - [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZOMO"]Motorized Reserves of the Citizens' Militia[/url][/i] - heavy duty militiamen who at the time of communism beaten to death those who opposed the communist government) and '[b]Ukrainian Mafia[/b]'. Then, he registered as a fake lawyer and started to inform us we are going to be sued. When that gave no effect, he became even more mad and started his campaign of hatred. He posted warnings in his auctions about our forum saying that we are paedophiles, traitors and what not. he posted an ad where he [b]promised money[/b] to ones who'd give him the real names of all mods and admins form our forum, including me (hell, I live with a bounty on my head! :D).
Real story, quite frightening.
Fortunately, this guys know only Polish and Pig Latin, so they will not track me here. :D

Edited by Immo

Update - just got my reply. Can't copy and paste via mobile bit started with:

"firstly an original 1972 Precision is worth £2K all day long"

And finished with:

Bid if you want it, if not f#%k off and buy an Argos catalogue copy instead".

This definitely feels like a few more people should ask 'serious' questions and see what sort of reply they get . . .

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1326014386' post='1490901']
That's pretty much hard to believe. :mellow: :blink: :unsure:
[/quote]

Here's his full message:

"[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]firstly an original 1972 Precision is worth £2k all day long, a 2004 ford focus with an engine that won't start fek all. If there has been a pot change so the bass still functions clearly without crackle then so be it, all instruments need maintenance etc, i wrote down the number i thought i saw and this isn't 100 % confirmed and nor are your idea's on value, just your opinion and not that i doubt of the other 300 people watching this item. Bid if you want it, if not then f*** off and buy an Argos catologue copy! "[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Interestingly he has actually changed his description now from "original" to "good condition"[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='the hand of john curley' timestamp='1326057154' post='1491784']
What an absolute prick!!!!!! I'm tempted to mail him just to tell him his sh1tbag antics are all over this forum !!! tosser!
[/quote]

Nooooooo! He might come after me in his Ford Focus! :D