Why become a member? ×

Planet Waves Mini Headstock Tuner

discreet

[b]Planet Waves Mini Headstock Tuner[/b]

I'm sure these have been mentioned before, but Santa brought me one and I have to say it's great. Stays on your bass, doesn't need to be plugged in, doesn't need your volume to be turned up, is easy to use and very accurate.

It's also a 'stealth' device, as it can't be seen from the front. You can angle it how you want, and it can be used in low-light stage conditions... and at less than £20 is cheap enough to have one for each of your basses... that is, if you have more than one. ;)

You can quickly and silently check your tuning between numbers on stage. Brilliant and recommended.
BTW, I have no connection with Planet Waves or their affiliates! :lol:

Edited by discreet

I got one for xmas too... and also somehow ended up with a Snark as well. :blink:
Fortunately this odd coincidence provided me with a great opportunity to pit them head to head in series of rigorous tests. Well... I clipped them simultaneously on a bass then a guitar and looked at them while I tuned up. :D

me humming an E ^

Although it has less features than the Snark and the display is weirdly 90° off, the important thing is it is faster and more accurate... oh yeah, and way more discreet. :D

I got one of these last year and love it. I also have a black Snark (giggady) and a much more expensive Peterson version but i prefer the PW for gigs. It stays on the bass all night and gives me something to look at on the boring gigs.

Edited by dave_bass5

I've just bought one of these, nice bit of kit. It sometimes struggles to pick up the E string, but carefull positioning makes it better. Its nice and discrete and means one less thing on the floor for me to trip over. £20 well spent.

Jas

• 4 weeks later...

These look really interesting. Are they consistent, and do they pick up and tune a low B well? I use a pitchblack on the floor at the moment, but a lighter weight, smaller and very accurate bit of kit like this looks amazing.

Any in field feedback is appreciated! :)

Edited by Salt on your Bass?

[quote name='Bigjas' timestamp='1326361403' post='1495865']
...It sometimes struggles to pick up the E string, but careful positioning makes it better.
[/quote]

It works OK if you fix it as close to the nut as possible. I have no problems with the E string and no problems tuning down to D either, but I play a 4 so couldn't say about the B, sorry! :)

[quote name='Bigjas' timestamp='1326361403' post='1495865']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]...Its nice and discrete...[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I think you'll find that's 'discreet'. :P ;)

Thanks, thats useful. Found some other reviews that mention the B string being between "absolutely fine" to "a little slow" to "easier to tune on 12th or a harmonic". I think i might give one a whirl, I only have one on my board at the moment, and it'd be nice to just plug and play.

Its a great feeling being excited about a tuner!! :lol:

Great thread! I had a Snark bought for me as a prezzie and I also currently have in my possession the Planet Waves Mini and also the Korg Pitchclip. I'm going to have a play with all three and then get back to you all as a very important question has been raised.

What to do if you do not have a headstock? Standby for a test or three!

I emailed planet waves with the question "does this work well with bass guitars, and particulalry on a low B on a 5-string". I recieved a rather comprehensive response that I thought I'd share:

"[i]why yes it does.
works great on my lap steel ,mandolin etc.. as well.
thanks
George Santos[/i]"

Not sure what else I was expecting to be honest.... :huh:

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' timestamp='1328806038' post='1532982']
I emailed planet waves with the question "does this work well with bass guitars, and particulalry on a low B on a 5-string". I recieved a rather comprehensive response that I thought I'd share:

"[i]why yes it does.
works great on my lap steel ,mandolin etc.. as well.
thanks
George Santos[/i]"

Not sure what else I was expecting to be honest.... :huh:
[/quote]

Well at least you know if or when you get a mandolin you wont post any silly questions in this thread :P

Ok, I'd planned to do some nice photos of me demonstrating how I could fix any of the three tuners I mentioned above on to my headless Shuker bass. Well, it would have been pointless. The planet waves mini sadly had nothing to attach to despite it's ratchet locking clip.Very secure on my other instruments though! Next up, the Snark. The biggest sized jaws on it's clip of all three. I could sort of get it to hang on to the nut clamp, but fell off easily. Both the Snark and the Korg Pitchclip could easily be clipped on to one oftye control knobs and actually functioned properly picking up the instruments vibrations. However they would no doubt be in the way of operations.

So to sum up, on my headless bass at least, none of the three offer a permanent solution. On my headed basses, the Planet Waves is great as it is so small. I think is some rare cases an odd shape headstock could cause viewing angle problems as you only have an up and down axis on which the clamp pivots. That leaves the Korg with it's flip out display and the ability to be moved about using the clamp. Probably the most flexible for other instruments but at the same time being as inconspicuous as possible. If it's functionality you require, the Snark tuner has a built in microphone as well as the ability to pick up instrument vibrations AND a metronome on board to with a 'tap tempo' button.

Three brilliant tuners each with their own strengths.... And weaknesses.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1330622531' post='1560625']
I'm having real trouble getting my PW mini headstock tuner to pick up a dropped D, and it just does nothing when I try to tune the B on my 5er! Anyone got any tips, or is it just not up to it?
[/quote]
Mine works ok on my drop C bass but it does have it's occasional moments of cluelessness. If it does, I just ping a harmonic on the 12th (or 5th).
Truthfully I wouldn't trust a clip-on for down-tuned basses at all as you really have to be uber accurate (especially if like me, you play the occasional chord)... that's where my Polytune comes in.

On a budget go for a Korg DT-10* or a Pitchblack.
The Boss ones are too flakey imho, even if they are "the industry standard" apparently.
If you really want a great performer (and with drop D tuning software installed) invest in a Polytune... it'll be the last tuner you ever buy. I'm waiting for the CGCFAD tuning to come out - I mentioned it to one of there team and he said they'd be looking into it.

*I still have my DT-10 boxed up somewhere as I couldn't let go. :D