Why become a member? ×

The answer to back pain/back ache from gigging/bass guitars?!

Musicman20

It's worth baring in mind that the back strength was not my original aim, I just started to want to get in shape. It was just an advantage that I didn't think about until I was exercising more. I do it because I'm interested in keeping healthy, staying trim, and because I'm extremely vain haha.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1325689367' post='1486117']
It's worth baring in mind that the back strength was not my original aim, I just started to want to get in shape. It was just an advantage that I didn't think about until I was exercising more. I do it because I'm interested in keeping healthy, staying trim, and because I'm extremely vain haha.
[/quote]

Just admit you wanted to increase your chance of pulling :lol:

I'm quite weedy and used to play a Bass Collection SB301 at Uni and gigged with it no problem as it was small and light. It also played great and sounded brilliant. I've now got a fretless BC and a 5 string but my main bass that I would love to use if I gig again is an Overwater Contemporary Jazz and it's bloody heavy for me! My shoulder aches after around 10-15 mins of playing standing up. Not so much a problem right now as I'm just recording so can sit down and take regular breaks. I'm sure that a strap change could help to distribute the weight and of course I could always do upper-body exercises to help. The only issue is that I badly strained the tendons in both arms and it took 12 months to recover and now they've gone again. Good to hear that Musicman's exercises did indeed help so when I can, I'll give that another go.

• 3 weeks later...

Having just completed another three hour rehearsal, my back is once again hurting like hell :(
I remembered this thread and thought I would have another look.

I play my fretless when just doing my own thing and it's not too heavy.
With the band I use the fretted version and my back hates me!

I have decided that I REALLY need to loose weight and get gig fit :ph34r:

Totally agree about looking after your core. I have always been fit, strong and active and never used to give a second thought about lifting, wearing heavy basses or anything physical - always a bit proud of my strength, to be honest. Carried a coupe of extra stones in weight, never a problem.

Then my back went. A series of sacro-iliac problems and, last year, a prolapsed disc leading to sciatica.

Everything changes. Everything - it impinges on ALL aspects of your life. From how you sit on the toilet to what shoes you wear. Core excercise is THE only way to manage it. Doesn't matter how fit you think you are, it is only when you target your TVA muscle that you realise it exists! Lightweight clobber is just one small piece of the complicated jig-saw of mobility.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1327491371' post='1512089']
Everything changes. Everything - it impinges on ALL aspects of your life. [/quote]

Until I first hit serious back problems (three years ago now) I had absolutely no understanding of just how debilitating they are.

One second you're fine, the next you're crippled, and years later you're still mindful that it could go again at any time.

Not something that occurs to many 20-somethings or 30-somethings, but it's waiting for you, guys ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1327495727' post='1512221']
Not something that occurs to many 20-somethings or 30-somethings, but it's waiting for you, guys ...
[/quote]
Yup. I am wearing a lower back brace as I type after several sleepless nights :(

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1325345285' post='1482350']

You've had that medical attention and no one has pointed out how you can manage your back for the future..??

I am not sure I would want to be in their care, tbh...!!
[/quote]

This has been pretty much my experience too, for the past 15-16 years. Same goers for everyone else I know with such problems. Sounds like you've been lucky. Maybe it's a regional thing.

FWIW, I used to do loads of weights, aikido etc and then everything went pretty much at once ('96). I'm currently unable to play properly due to ulnar nerve entrapment and have this morning been diagnosed with unstable shoulder joints, so sometimes it's about a little more than simple exercise.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1327495727' post='1512221']

Until I first hit serious back problems (three years ago now) I had absolutely no understanding of just how debilitating they are.

One second you're fine, the next you're crippled, and years later you're still mindful that it could go again at any time.

[/quote]

Yup, and it ain't fun....

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1327497958' post='1512293']
FWIW, I used to do loads of weights, aikido etc and then everything went pretty much at once ('96). I'm currently unable to play properly due to ulnar nerve entrapment and have this morning been diagnosed with unstable shoulder joints, so sometimes it's about a little more than simple exercise.
[/quote]
I know you've been having trouble man, but I didn't realise quite how tough you've been having it. FWIW, I'm really sorry to hear the above. I don't know whether you've thought about this or how you'd even feel about such a suggestion, but have you considered taking up an alternative instrument? e.g. singing, harmonica, piano, something that isn't load bearing or the like?

I tore my lower back in my mid teens, and that taught me how much I missed being able to do stuff. I then got into fitness and have maintained it since. You've got to keep it in shape, but you also can't overdo it/do it wrong, or you'll end up in a bad way as well.

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1327509252' post='1512599']
I know you've been having trouble man, but I didn't realise quite how tough you've been having it. FWIW, I'm really sorry to hear the above. I don't know whether you've thought about this or how you'd even feel about such a suggestion, but have you considered taking up an alternative instrument? e.g. singing, harmonica, piano, something that isn't load bearing or the like?

I tore my lower back in my mid teens, and that taught me how much I missed being able to do stuff. I then got into fitness and have maintained it since. You've got to keep it in shape, but you also can't overdo it/do it wrong, or you'll end up in a bad way as well.
[/quote]

Ah, tip of the iceberg to be honest. :lol: Thanks for the thoughts though. I do sing, although am rather rusty (sang at the Marquee once! I bet they were sorry :lol: ). I also play guitar and write generally but of course my main instruments are all ones that you play with your arms. Unfortunately sitting isn't going to help either as due to my shoulder problems some of the nerve problems appear to be positional, i.e. related to how I hold my arms & shoulders, given that my shoulders don't currently work properly. Going to have more tests and then suspect I'll have a lot of work to do unfortunately.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1327518620' post='1512839']
Ah, tip of the iceberg to be honest. :lol: Thanks for the thoughts though. I do sing, although am rather rusty (sang at the Marquee once! I bet they were sorry :lol: ). I also play guitar and write generally but of course my main instruments are all ones that you play with your arms. Unfortunately sitting isn't going to help either as due to my shoulder problems some of the nerve problems appear to be positional, i.e. related to how I hold my arms & shoulders, given that my shoulders don't currently work properly. Going to have more tests and then suspect I'll have a lot of work to do unfortunately.
[/quote]
I'm genuinely really sorry to hear that man. Where abouts are you in the North West? If you're anywhere near Cheshire I can strongly recommend my singing teacher Heather Baker. She is an extremely well qualified Speech level singing teacher and can help you acquire a voice to be proud of very quickly and effectively, and in a way that is healthy for life.

I know it might not sound that great compared to playing bass in a rock band, but I've gone down the singing route initially just as another instrument, and now it's something I can actually teach people to do and get results quickly! Taking singing seriously has really really opened up music to me in new and exciting ways... and I wasn't exactly hemmed in before that!

If you want more details feel free to PM me. But do keep me/us in the loop as to how progress goes and any updates.

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1327529321' post='1513074']

I'm genuinely really sorry to hear that man. Where abouts are you in the North West? If you're anywhere near Cheshire I can strongly recommend my singing teacher Heather Baker. She is an extremely well qualified Speech level singing teacher and can help you acquire a voice to be proud of very quickly and effectively, and in a way that is healthy for life.

I know it might not sound that great compared to playing bass in a rock band, but I've gone down the singing route initially just as another instrument, and now it's something I can actually teach people to do and get results quickly! Taking singing seriously has really really opened up music to me in new and exciting ways... and I wasn't exactly hemmed in before that!

If you want more details feel free to PM me. But do keep me/us in the loop as to how progress goes and any updates.
[/quote]

I'm near Blackpool so a bit away unfortunately. It is something I've been considering though, although my voice is mediocre even at its best. At its worst, well....!!!!! But singing is something that's always been important, even if just for writing songs and parts.

Thanks for the post and the thoughts BTW, really appreciate it.

That's a bit further away. Nevertheless, she does Skype lessons and I can guarantee they work fantastically. In some ways Skype lessons work better than IRL lessons cos you get a perfect recording of the lesson everytime. I've got one with a guy in the US later this evening. Believe me when I say speech level singing can turn your voice into something to be proud of very very quickly.

In any case, I can wholeheartedly recommend taking singing more seriously - it certainly sparked off music for me in ways I'd never 'got' before.