Why become a member? ×

35" scale 5 string for around 400 quid?

Jellyfish

Hello! I'm currently in the market for a bass with the specs you see in the title. My previous bass was an Ibanez BTB475. I absolutely loved the thing but it had a lot of problems so I had to get my money back. I've tried a plethora of 34" scale basses and can tell the difference. So I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Unfortunately they can't be used as I'll be having it ordered in. Cheers!

[quote name='M-N-Y' timestamp='1325237303' post='1481133']
Probably a little more than your budget but these are monster basses build and tone wise.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/162608-fs-yamaha-trb-1005-trans-dark-red/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/162608-fs-yamaha-trb-1005-trans-dark-red/[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks M-N-Y, it is a cracking bass, and in brand new condition too! They are seriously good instruments and will stand up against pretty much anything IMHO.

ChristopherGilbert, if you are interested in my bass I could consider going down a bit if you could come up a bit...... :D

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1325237784' post='1481138']
Thanks M-N-Y, it is a cracking bass, and in brand new condition too! They are seriously good instruments and will stand up against pretty much anything IMHO.

ChristopherGilbert, if you are interested in my bass I could consider going down a bit if you could come up a bit...... :D
[/quote]

No problems TRB you're welcome. Good luck with the sale....is indeed a bargain for someone. :)

Probably a little more than your budget but these are monster basses build and tone wise.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/162608-fs-yamaha-trb-1005-trans-dark-red/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/162608-fs-yamaha-trb-1005-trans-dark-red/[/url]
[/quote]

I've got one of these. It's brilliant. Highly recommended.

55-01... Nothing else compares in my experience. Neck is SO comfortable. Better than the Stingray 5 I owned previously in virtually every respect. £400 is realistic for one of them too - I sold mine here for that price not long ago (because I don't play 5 strings any more, not because of anything to do with the bass).

Not wanting to cast a shadow on Lakland as I have owned a few of them, but never found the Bart MK pickups to my liking to be honest. Good shout though, they do the job for a great many people and are built to last.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by M-N-Y

[quote name='M-N-Y' timestamp='1325250108' post='1481300']
Not wanting to cast a shadow on Lakland as I have owned a few of them, but never found the Bart MK pickups to my liking to be honest. Good shout though, they do the job for a great many people and are built to last.

Cheers,

Mark.
[/quote]

I love the feel of mine but may one day upgrade the pups to maybe some nordstrand fat stacks, the barts are doin a great job for now though...

Unfortunately I have to buy new! :(

I basically had 4 months of bullshit with PMT (not their fault) and because that was where I bought it from I just got a credit note instead. I can spend about £500 in total.

To give you an idea, I was looking at the Ibanez SR505, but wasn't keen on the 34" scale.

I found that most 34" were no good for me too, and ended up choosing between the TRB and the Lakland. I like the Ibanez SRs too, but just found the B too floppy. If you like Ibanez, what about a BTB? I'm pretty sure they're 35" scale.

If PMT have failed to provide you with the bass you paid for, I'm pretty sure you could push for a refund.....

Anyway, at least make sure you push them for a mega deal because of all the hassle!

Good luck!

Funny you should mention that actually, my previous bass was a very tasty Ibanez BTB 475. I don't suppose anyone knows if the new Ibanez 575s are currently with us here in the UK?

Thanks for the tips about Peaveys. I also had my eye on a couple of Schecters.

I going to to push for a mega bargain :) so well see what I manage to get.

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed this topic got bumped. I actually got (or am going to get, in the near future) a great deal on the new, not-yet-released Ibanez BTB 575. (The bass is shown on the USA Ibanez site though)

It's apparently being released at NAMM later this month, in America. Or at least that was the information from the rep of the place that distributes Ibanez's within the UK.

I also got put through a lot of bulls**t (to be specific, my bass got sent off for repairs 5 months ago and I have just got a credit refund for it) so they're trying their best to get it to me even earlier than is available to most people, and for a lot cheaper too (around £399)! But thank you for all the recommendations, I checked them all out before finally being offered the above by the nice guys at PMT.

That bass looks great! Should be ideal for you if you already had a 475 and liked it. Glad they managed to cut you a deal to make good all the crap you had to deal with :) Being one of the first to get it you might have to give it a review on here when it arrives!

[quote name='ChristopherGilbert' timestamp='1326148817' post='1493108']
Just noticed this topic got bumped. I actually got (or am going to get, in the near future) a great deal on the new, not-yet-released Ibanez BTB 575. (The bass is shown on the USA Ibanez site though)

It's apparently being released at NAMM later this month, in America. Or at least that was the information from the rep of the place that distributes Ibanez's within the UK.

I also got put through a lot of bulls**t (to be specific, my bass got sent off for repairs 5 months ago and I have just got a credit refund for it) so they're trying their best to get it to me even earlier than is available to most people, and for a lot cheaper too (around £399)! But thank you for all the recommendations, I checked them all out before finally being offered the above by the nice guys at PMT.

[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/162608-fs-yamaha-trb-1005-trans-dark-red/"]http://basschat.co.u...trans-dark-red/[/url]
[/quote]

+1 for the extra £95 will be well worth it :D