Why become a member? ×

Any regrets through you musical existance

dabootsy

By regrets I mean missing out on a bass that was a bargain
Saying no to a band that then made it big
Or any other regrets

Mine was when i was on holiday in morrocco we visited Marakesh market and i saw an immaculate wal and walked past it but then realised that this would probably be a bargain if i could haggle
I could not find the stall when i went back
so i was gutted

A few years ago a local music store had an early '70s Fender Jazz bass...it was old and trashed...[sonic?] blue finish. This is before Jazz prices started to skyrocket. The shop clearly had no idea of it's worth. It was around £350.00.

It had a set of old/dead flatwounds on and I asked if they'd restring the instrument so I could demo it. The shop declined. I got home and my wife said that if I wanted it, I should go get it. I slept on it, went back next day and it had gone.

P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='166994' date='Mar 31 2008, 04:43 PM']A few years ago a local music store had an early '70s Fender Jazz bass...it was old and trashed...[sonic?] blue finish. This is before Jazz prices started to skyrocket. The shop clearly had no idea of it's worth. It was around £350.00.

It had a set of old/dead flatwounds on and I asked if they'd restring the instrument so I could demo it. The shop declined. I got home and my wife said that if I wanted it, I should go get it. I slept on it, went back next day and it had gone.[/quote]

Aaaaaaaaargh!!!! :)

Not realising (early enough to make a real differance) that aspiring to be (musically) like rich and famous musicians wouldn't make me so. I should have been arrogant enough to 'roll my own' and not wanted to be instantly admired and accepted. I should have sought out new musical ideas and values rather than defend old ones.

I forced myself to become a craftsman rather than an artist.

I was wrong.

Just to add to my earlier post...

I had a friend over today, a pro session musician (guitar & bass).

His funk/soul/rock playing is just excellent, really very good stuff.

So after listening to him giving one of my basses a good workout;

I just feel like giving up... But I know that I mustn't.

I've gotta just keep on learning and practicing, getting better slowly.

Trouble is, the older you get, the slower you learn (it seems to me).

:)

Within 4 weeks of beginning to play bass i had a gig filling in with the band i sound engineer for...

Headlining acts bassist had recently died (friend of mine) and it was in his honor as such...

Anyway to the point now, the bassist filling in for the bassist was none other than J J Burnell and being who i was i knew he was well known but had no idea HOW well known. I never took the time to say more than "Hi" to the guy really and i look back on it and kinda wish I had.

Live n learn eh

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='167003' date='Mar 31 2008, 04:57 PM']Just to add to my earlier post...

:)[/quote]

don't give up!

there's probably plenty of things that i should or shouldn't have done, but i don't regret any of them. that's not me being big headed and arrogant, that's me saying, "it's too late to be worrying about all that now". I reckon stuff happens for a reason - if there was something i should or shouldn't have done, it would have happened

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='167009' date='Mar 31 2008, 05:07 PM']don't give up!

there's probably plenty of things that i should or shouldn't have done, but i don't regret any of them. that's not me being big headed and arrogant, that's me saying, "it's too late to be worrying about all that now". I reckon stuff happens for a reason - if there was something i should or shouldn't have done, it would have happened[/quote]

Thanks for the positive words :)

I need to take a more fatalistic attitude I reckon!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='166990' date='Mar 31 2008, 03:42 PM']Not studying harder, faster, longer and more productively when I had the time.[/quote]

plus the one.

not spending my time on the dole practising more...and then there's the matter of the 70s fender precision i sold.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='167003' date='Mar 31 2008, 04:57 PM']Just to add to my earlier post...

:)[/quote]

I've being playing on and off since I was 14, I'm 45 now. It takes me a longer to learn new stuff too but i think that's largely because my standards are so much higher than when I was younger and my playing is definitely better and hopefully still improving. Increasing senility allowed for of course.
You've still got it all ahead of you Dave see your friend as an inspiration, work out what it is about his playing that dusts your broom. You'll get there!

Not learning to read music when I started on guitar "yonks" ago. My Bass Tutor has started me reading, but christ everything would be so much easier if I had learned all those years ago. It is taking a while to sink in due to advancing years.......
2 guitar tutors gave up on me. One said, "You aren't reading the music are you? You are just listening to what I am playing and copying it?"
Guilty as charged.

[quote name='lonestar' post='167050' date='Mar 31 2008, 06:06 PM']You've still got it all ahead of you Dave see your friend as an inspiration, work out what it is about his playing that dusts your broom. You'll get there![/quote]

Thanks for more positive words!

The gloom is slowly lifting... :)

Van Morrison sung about it:-

[i]Well it's in my blood and it's in my veins
Here it comes again, when I'm in the rain
In the wind and rain, well the sun don't shine
Well it's always mine, all of the time
Melancholia, melancholia, melancholia

And it's in my life and it's all the time
It doesn't go away when the church bells chime
In the evening time when I drink my wine
In the evening time when it's on my mind
Melancholia, melancholia, melancholia[/i]

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='167063' date='Mar 31 2008, 06:19 PM']Same as the above. Not picking up a bass until I was 25 years of age. Not much I can do about that now though.

Also continually being a spineless loser who hasn't got the b*llocks to join a band because I'm so critical of my sh*te playing. This is ongoing.[/quote]

I never thought I'd feel sorry for you but on this issue I do.
Think of it like this, there's a band out there that has a bass player that doesn't play as well as you do (I need you to trust me on this, I'm hugely experienced)
AND there are bands out there that have no bass player at all and you're better than their last one.
So what you're actually doing is denying them the chance to enjoy and utilise the skills you DO have in order to sit at home being overly critical of your own playing. Give those poor bassistless bastards a chance will you, do it for them, not you. I promise you won't regret it and if you do I'll eat my words and post a picture of my hairy arse in some public location for all to sneer at.
Jake

[quote name='dabootsy' post='167106' date='Mar 31 2008, 07:03 PM']I think i regret starting this thread as its becoming more depressing than Eastenders[/quote]

damn straight!.... now go and stand in the corner and think about what you've done!

[size=1]oh yeah, and my biggest musical regret: picking my (now ex) girlfriend over a band who ended up signing a multi-album deal with Parlophone and spending two months living with Dave Grohl in LA recording their debut album (still yet to be released mind you)..... about 6 months later she made it abundantly clear she wouldn't be sacrificing any element of her cosy little life for me so it ended up being curtains for us anyway!!........ bee hatch broke my heart!![/size]

At the grand old age of 44 I have NEVER played live, and never really played with other people either. I'm a multi-instrumentalist who is a sad old bedroom player. At my age I seriously don't think I'd have the confidence to play anything with other people. It's too bad as I have recently (the last two months or so) really got into bass playing in a big way like never before. I think that bass would be what I would want to play now in my 'dreamworld' of playing with other people.

[quote name='Dillsfretless' post='167131' date='Mar 31 2008, 07:27 PM']At the grand old age of 44 I have NEVER played live, and never really played with other people either. I'm a multi-instrumentalist who is a sad old bedroom player. At my age I seriously don't think I'd have the confidence to play anything with other people. It's too bad as I have recently (the last two months or so) really got into bass playing in a big way like never before. I think that bass would be what I would want to play now in my 'dreamworld' of playing with other people.[/quote]

All I can say to that is:-

If I can do it, you can do it.

Now go and do it!!! :)