Why become a member? ×

DHA VT1-MK3-Bass kit

DHA

Hi all,

I am thinking of providing a VT1-MK3-bass pedal kit and wanted to see if there is a market before I offer it.

You would get a PCB, all the components, box, knobs, screws, nuts, wire and instructions. You would need a soldering iron, solder and a few tools to make it. The making would include drilling and painting the box.

Would be around £70+P&P.

what do you think?

dave

Make it a kit of the VT1 Standard with a pre-drilled enclosure and a lower price and I think you'd be onto a winner. By the way, how packed are the internals of the VT1 Standard, any chance of us using a different box with a smaller footprint?

[quote name='Jonny Walker' post='166597' date='Mar 30 2008, 10:18 PM']stop being such tight asses guys... it's an excellent pedal and you can build to your specs !

I think its a really good idea Dave.[/quote]

+1

considering the price on a built unit, this is a great deal.

Id be interested.

[quote name='WarPig' post='166613' date='Mar 30 2008, 10:51 PM']+1

considering the price on a built unit, this is a great deal.

Id be interested.[/quote]
considering the price on most other byoc things, the only other expensive option i can see in this is the valve which is about a fiver, you can get wooly mammoth clones for £50 which are pre drilled and painted, so i think the price is a bit steep considering the parts for it would prolly only set you back about £25 - 30 tops

[quote name='umph' post='166656' date='Mar 31 2008, 12:08 AM']considering the price on most other byoc things, the only other expensive option i can see in this is the valve which is about a fiver, you can get wooly mammoth clones for £50 which are pre drilled and painted, so i think the price is a bit steep considering the parts for it would prolly [b]only set you back about £25 - 30 tops[/b][/quote]
+1

Not being a tight ass, but would rather build a plain VT1 than the Mk3 which would bring the cost down as there's fewer parts and I only want the basic valve sound without the extra bells and whistles. I think a lot of people building their own would probably prefer the lower cost and simplicity of this design over the Mk3, or at least would like to have the choice.

Edited by dannybuoy

the fact that its not predrilled is a huge put off, and would also put alot of people off buyin one too, alot me people have a soldering kit than a suitable drill. drilled case for the same price would be a much better and more popular option

I think the most similar product currently available would be OLC's [url="http://olcircuits.com/olc_eclipsevalve.html"]Eclipse Valve[/url] which they sell for $108. With current exchange rates being as they are that is about £55, factor in shipping and it is roughly the same price as what Dave is offering.

Also when you consider the relative value of the products within the domestic markets on each side of the pond, $108 for an American buying in the US works out roughly equal to £70 for a Brit living in the UK. So the pricing is about right. However the OLC kit has a pre-drilled enclosure.

Personally I would prefer not to have a drilled enclosure so that I can add a bit more of my own personal touch. Or better yet, perhaps Dave could offer just the PCB and instructions in the same way that General Guitar Gadgets or Jack Orman do. When you look at, all effects kits are outrageously overpriced compared to how much it would cost to source the materials yourself.

I have to say I agree about the pre-drill I'd have no facility to easily pre-drill the box when I'd bought it especialy not to a level of accureccy I'd want. But if it was pre drilled sounds like a nice price.

Comparing the pedal to its element costs, is just a stupid way to look at it from a product that is out on the market perspective. Dave has obviously spent time developing the design and had to come up with a way to implement it in the first place. Your buying the parts and the design here remember and a handy guide to put it together if it was as simple as buying the right bits everyone would just do that. Also looking at the price decrease from the retail assembled version looks like abit of a steal.

Looks like everyone wants something different, so what you need is a structured set of options, e.g. different models of pedal (VT1 Std, VT1 Mk3), PCB only, PCB + components (no case), all parts + undrilled case, all parts + drilled case.

Granted it would be more of a pain for Dave to sort out and price the options, but it would at least keep everyone happy and he'd probably end up selling more that way.

[quote name='Alfie' post='166946' date='Mar 31 2008, 03:44 PM']Personally I would prefer not to have a drilled enclosure so that I can add a bit more of my own personal touch.[/quote]

+1 Only takes a little bit of time to DIY.

Maybe you could offer both non drilled and pre drilled cases?

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='166971' date='Mar 31 2008, 04:25 PM']Looks like everyone wants something different, so what you need is a structured set of options, e.g. different models of pedal (VT1 Std, VT1 Mk3), PCB only, PCB + components (no case), all parts + undrilled case, all parts + drilled case.

Granted it would be more of a pain for Dave to sort out and price the options, but it would at least keep everyone happy and he'd probably end up selling more that way.[/quote]

I would be more interested in the VT1 Std

[quote name='Alfie' post='167000' date='Mar 31 2008, 04:48 PM']I would be more interested in the VT1 Std[/quote]

Okay,

How about this.....

The difference in cost of parts between a Std and Mk3 is about £5 it's the work in putting them together and it was hoped the Std would be a volume product. Anyway I am going to offer a new version which will be a Std plus a colour switch so it does not complete with what we make. For your info there is over £40 in parts in a Std and that's buying in bulk.

It will be £65 with an undrilled box and £70 with a drilled box. I think the price is fair considering it's taken several years to develop the design and there is still work to do kitting the kits, posting, etc.

I am doing this to keep DHA ticking over as I have become very busy in my main (real) job so I find I don't have the time anymore. What time I have got spare will mainly go on the VTX amps.

Please PM me if anyone wants one and I will send invoices and get the camera out for the instruction manual!

Dave

[quote name='DHA' post='167056' date='Mar 31 2008, 05:14 PM']It will be £65 with an undrilled box and £70 with a drilled box. I think the price is fair considering it's taken several years to develop the design and there is still work to do kitting the kits, posting, etc.[/quote]

I totally agree, £70 is an extremely good price!

[quote name='metaltime' post='167291' date='Mar 31 2008, 10:44 PM']How hard do you think it would be to put together Dave?

Also being able to drill your own box would be cool i think could arrange it however you want then.[/quote]

I will be making the instructions as simple as possible with lot's of photos as I assemble one. There is a PCB to load and solder which is just a case of putting the correct components in the right hole, the components and the PCB are marked up. There is the valve socket to wire and about another 20 wires to connect which will be colour coded.

It takes us about an hour to wire one so someone new to it and being careful should take about 2-3 hours I would guess.

I will also write about a way to test it and fault find if there is a problem. If anyone really can't get one going then we will take it back for repair.

Dave