Why become a member? ×

Lakland DJ4 Returns

bayles

I saw this on the Lakland Owners Group earlier. I own a DJ5, really nice bass, not particularly a first choice for gigging (a bit heavy, wide string spacing), but great for recording. If the build quality stands up to the one I have, I'd encourage anyone to give it a try, I really do.

Now moving swiftly along, anyone else find they're tiring somewhat of Lakland products?

I mean by this that while yes, there's a vast choice of finish/electronics combinations, it's worth pointing out that more than half their models remain firm-rooted in suped-up Precision/Jazz basses clones and the spec on the 44-94/55-94 models has barely changed in five plus years. The two other models (Decade and Hollowbody) are just plain bland; I played both in the US last year and they really weren't so great.

When Hanson took over a year or so ago, there was a bit of spring-cleaning going on; the old signature names went, replaced by nondescript model numbers and (horror) the DJ was discontinued (or moreover, suffering a redesign, renaming and then discontinuation). But now, after a bit of a backlash the DJ is back. It's a pity that their efforts weren't directed towards producing something a little more radical and dare I say, exciting.
P

Totally agree. Lakland (when I started to get back into buying again in 2009) were very very popular on here, even in the UK. I played around 8 different JO4/5s and DJ4/5s. All of them didnt seem to stand upto the normal QC i'd heard about....and the weight was pretty high on all of them.

I still want one, but I don't think the prices reflect what you get in the UK. No case, and sometimes more money than a Fender.

I am still holding out for a perfect DJ5/JO5, but I don't see any I can try that are nearby. I'd rather buy from the Bass Gallery over GuitarGuitar, but I live nowhere near.

One day, I'll have one, but I don't want to pay £1300 when for that price I can get a USA Deluxe Fender 5 Jazz with the new quality active elecs or almost buy another Musicman.

I am quite excited about these new DJ5s, but agree they need to sort their products and bring something exciting out.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1324503613' post='1475114']
Now moving swiftly along, anyone else find they're tiring somewhat of Lakland products?

I mean by this that while yes, there's a vast choice of finish/electronics combinations, it's worth pointing out that more than half their models remain firm-rooted in suped-up Precision/Jazz basses clones and the spec on the 44-94/55-94 models has barely changed in five plus years. The two other models (Decade and Hollowbody) are just plain bland; I played both in the US last year and they really weren't so great.
[/quote]

Yes. I really love Lakland, but their stuff can be pretty uninspiring and the 55-94 shape has now most certainly aged. Their website isn't particularly awe-inspiring either, dare I say it might be worth looking at Sadowsky's website which I happen to think is very good indeed. They sound brilliant, but they need something a bit daring to bring them back up to speed.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1324665007' post='1476906']
Yes. I really love Lakland, but their stuff can be pretty uninspiring and the 55-94 shape has now most certainly aged. Their website isn't particularly awe-inspiring either, dare I say it might be worth looking at Sadowsky's website which I happen to think is very good indeed. They sound brilliant, but they need something a bit daring to bring them back up to speed.
[/quote]

I don't want to keep bumping this thread, but I took a look at the Sadowsky site...it's OK, but again, product-wise, the models are just rehashed/overpriced Jazz/Precision basses. For something a little more compelling, look at the Reverend site; [url="http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/guitars.html"]http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/guitars.html[/url]. The basses are really very happening. The black set-neck Thundergun made me go a little wobbly. Stick a chrome armrest kit on that...beautiful.
P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1324677161' post='1477053']
I don't want to keep bumping this thread, but I took a look at the Sadowsky site...it's OK, but again, product-wise, the models are just rehashed/overpriced Jazz/Precision basses. For something a little more compelling, look at the Reverend site; [url="http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/guitars.html"]http://www.reverendg...nd/guitars.html[/url]. The basses are really very happening. The black set-neck Thundergun made me go a little wobbly. Stick a chrome armrest kit on that...beautiful.
P
[/quote]

Good god, those Reverend basses are something else - I want a Mercalli 5! The metallic blue would set off my black sparkle DJ5 nicely...

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1324503613' post='1475114']
... The two other models (Decade and Hollowbody) are just plain bland; I played both in the US last year and they really weren't so great ...
[/quote]
I disagree with this competely. My Decade is a fantastic bass and the one time I played a Hollowbody I really liked that too. The DJ does nothing for me.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1324677161' post='1477053']
I don't want to keep bumping this thread, but I took a look at the Sadowsky site...it's OK, but again, product-wise, the models are just rehashed/overpriced Jazz/Precision basses. For something a little more compelling, look at the Reverend site; [url="http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/guitars.html"]http://www.reverendg...nd/guitars.html[/url]. The basses are really very happening. The black set-neck Thundergun made me go a little wobbly. Stick a chrome armrest kit on that...beautiful.
P
[/quote]

I don't mind about the Fender lookalikes at all. It's an age old argument though so I'll steer clear of it, suffice to say most people who have tried or own a Sadowsky would probably disagree with you on the overpriced part.