Why become a member? ×

Take That

Pete Academy

I saw the most recent tour at Man City's ground. Gary Barlow had a bad cold, but still sounded pretty good. The 'Take That mkII' line up (i.e. 4 of them) came out for about half an hour to start and the atmosphere was very up - but then Robbie Williams came on - doing 'Let me entertain you' and the whole place went apeshit mental. Like him or loathe him - he's a proper popstar and has a catalogue of great 'big gig' songs. The problem was - after 20 minutes of Robbie solo - including 'Angels', the other lads came back on and they collectively performed a lot of the new album, which was pretty poor by comparison and dragged the vibe right down - before finishing with some old stuff.

The only thing that added more to the night was the spectacular number of absolutely shitfaced Yummie Mummies - who were on their one night out a year and still trying to drink like they used to when they were 19. There was actually a queue of very drunk and saucy women inside the gents toilets - waiting for for the 3 cubilcles. I also saw one women with the biggest shiner I have ever seen - she looked like a poster for domestic abuse. It transpired (my wife is nosey enough to ask) that she had tripped (pissed up in her stilleto's) on a kerb and gone to ground face first - with no hands out to stop her. Really nasty.

Marks deducted for having the Pet Shop Boys opening - who played West End Girls, and whatever their one other song is called - for about 75 minutes - much to the delight of the arsehole behind me - who 'sang' every song - like a football chant. Good prompt for a walk around and explore what is a very impressive stadium.

And it pissed down - but it was in Manchester, in July - so nothing new there then.

I saw them on the first comeback tour at Milton Keynes bowl. It was my sis-in-law that had tickets, but she sprained her ankle just before she was due to leave for the gig. She asked if I wanted them for free, otherwise they were just going in the bin. I snapped them up because a night out is a night out after all. Tu rned out to be one of the best shows I've ever seen. Four guys who can sing and entertain obviously having the time of their lives.

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1324337718' post='1473287'] The only thing that added more to the night was the spectacular number of absolutely shitfaced Yummie Mummies - who were on their one night out a year and still trying to drink like they used to when they were 19. [/quote]

+1 The missus and I were highly entertained by the near constant stream of 30 something women being ejected by security that night. There must have been more sh1tfaced drunkenness and fights at that one gig than I've seen in all the other gigs I've been to put together.

I was channel hopping and tuned in just in time to hear mark owen singing the word 'pwesidents' and promptly switched over. Anyone wanting to see Pomeroy up close and personal should check out It Bites on tour before they finally implode for good. They have a new album out soon and presumably will tour to promote it next year.

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1324339387' post='1473310']
What about the band? Was Pomeroy evident? I was fascinated by the fact that he played the way I used to (still can play upside down but slapping isn't good that way for me) but there is next to nothing on him on youtube.
[/quote]

Lee is an amazing player. He used to work at Rockbottom, a music shop in Croydon, and he helped me out a lot with my playing back when I was starting out. I'm so glad he's ended up doing so well for himself - everyone loves a "local boy made good" story. :)

Watching him do the upside-down and leftie thing was pretty enlightening, especially watching him rattle out note-perfect versions of Mark King's slickest slap licks! :D He used to play in a local band called Moondigger who were very, very good - shred-happy, poppy prog rock, basically, which stood him in good stead for his stint in It Bites.

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1324408414' post='1473964']
I watched It Bites featuring Lee Pomeroy the other week in Manchester. Always been a fan of the band but was mightly impressed with Lee and his unusual setup.
[/quote]
Was at a Dunnery house concert last night. He's a funny bugger, but him and Dorie work magic together.

Take That are seriously good. I saw some of the concert on the TV the other day. Very impressive and some really good songwriting, and a great show.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1324409115' post='1473969']
Take That are seriously good. I saw some of the concert on the TV the other day. Very impressive and some really good songwriting, and a great show.
[/quote]

Gary Barlow and Robbie are both amazing songwriters, so when they get together like they did on a lot of Take That hits it just creates this musical bliss that even i can appreciate.

Liam

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1324381144' post='1473538']
Steve Washington on drums...?? he is local round here and does the dates.
[/quote]

It was Donovan Hepburn on the drums. Steve Washington hasn't performed with them for a while.Sadly the aforementioned Mr. Washington may still be in prison after being convicted of a bank robbery in 2008.

[quote name='Russ' timestamp='1324405028' post='1473926']
He used to play in a local band called Moondigger who were very, very good - shred-happy, poppy prog rock, basically, which stood him in good stead for his stint in It Bites.
[/quote]

Moondiggers guitar player is a pal of mine, Dave Colquhoun who's a cracking player - all the Wakeman stuff with Lee too. Now currently doing a mixtyure of stuff including propping up his missus' band.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1324462929' post='1474382']
Robbie Williams writes songs?

Did he write that 'Angels' one? Because that is the shittest song I've heard for years and years.
[/quote]

As far as i know, Robbie writes most, if not all of his own songs (Many of which have been HUGE hits), and worked on a lot of Take That songs. Both me and my mum think "The Flood" is one of his, as it sure sounds like as she puts it "A Robbie Song"

Liam

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1324465206' post='1474429']
Moondiggers guitar player is a pal of mine, Dave Colquhoun who's a cracking player - all the Wakeman stuff with Lee too. Now currently doing a mixtyure of stuff including propping up his missus' band.
[/quote]

Dave's a good bloke, and an awesome guitarist. Last time I heard from him he was playing in the pit for We Will Rock You, and also doing Wakeman's band.

So Jay Aston's taken up music again, has she? Last I heard she was teaching music and dance at a school in Bromley. Let's just hope she never gets roped into a Buck's Fizz reunion. :D