Why become a member? ×

Pros + cons of swapping the 410 for a 15

MarkG3

Hi everyone,

I have done a bit of quick searching around this but couldn't find exactly what I'm after. I know there is a debate over not using 410 and 15 in the same setup etc but I am just wondering something......

I currently use a 410 and 15, now I love the sound from this thing but the 410 is a mission to move around - I have contemplated casters and sack trucks.

If I was to use two 15s (the 15 is the TE 1518c) what would the pros and cons of doing so be from not using a 410 in the setup? Would I loose much volume/tone or would it make things better?

I know for certain it would be way easier moving things around!

For those that don't know I use Trace Elliot, hence the name :)

Any ideas would be quality,

Thanks

[size=4]I think you need to take a step back and look at more options than just basing a new rig around either of your existing TE cabs. [/size]

[size=4]Now's the time to look at replacing the lot and I'd consider a move to neo cabs. For example a Barefaced Super12 would match your current rig on its own.[/size]

Do you have to run 2 large-ish cabs...?

I wouldn't be using 115's over 410's in a million...not even for a lighter weight/carry...altho I would consider 2x210 to add up to a 410...but then that is just m,e.

With your proposal, I'd expect you to loose volume AND tone. You can have too much low end..to the detriment of tone...and with 15's..how do you put that back..?

Are you using the new TE cabs? In which case I wouldn't necessarily say that you need to replace everything and go neo, as they are not exactly that heavy compared to the old TE cabs, which are heavy as hell.

Nothing wrong with using two 1x15s if that is your thing. I really don't understand the '15 inch speakers have no tone' argument. Whether there would be too much low end going on would probably depend more on eq than the cabs. If you like the sound of the 1518c on its own, nothing 'bad' will happen if you get another. The only thing I think you'll lack is any high-end sparkle, which isn't so much a '10 vs 15' thing rather than the fact that new TE 15 cabs do not have tweeters.

Two 4x10s would probably be capable of going 'louder', but there is only so much volume that you actually need when gigging. You could also look at getting a couple of the TE 2x10 cabs, which could add up to a 4x10, but with two easy lifts rather than one hard one.

I've got three cabs, a 115 and two 210s. To be perfectly honest, I can't really tell the difference between using a 210+115 or a 210+210. I also can't really tell the difference between the two 210s when stacked as 2x2 or 4x1. For smaller gigs I just use a single 210.

I avoided a 410 precisely because of the size/weight issues and I'm happy with the flexibility and portabiity of my 'kit of parts'. But as for the tonal differences, I find that I can get what I want by playing with the amp eq whatever cabs I'm using and, in practice, I suspect that the venue itself has more effect on my sound than the cabs I happen to be using.

Or I could just be tone deaf. :)

That 8x10 might give you your 'trademark' sound, but you've got to move the damn thing.
That 2x10 might be nice and compact, but has it got the guts you're looking for?

There's always going to be a trade off between what sounds 'right' and the practicalities of transportation, it's just a case of finding the compromise you can live with. :)

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1323358990' post='1462457']
Casters can really make a huge difference to portability unless you have to go upstairs, if you don't have any reason other than weight for changing.
[/quote]

Def, I`ve just had to go "heavyweight" again, due to a few cash-flow problems. Luckily, I`d kept my Carlos Fandango Wide Wheel Castors, so aside from in/out of the load space of my estate, no problems.

thanks for all the replies,

I've tried the 2 410s previously and my back was knackered from carrying them both hence getting the 15 - I actually prefer the sound from a 410 and 15 rather than 2 410s. Yes the cabs are the new TE so are easier to move around the 15 is really light and have no issue moving that around but the 410 is still heavy although lighter than the older versions. I don't think its really realistic at the moment to start the set up from scratch again as obviously that requires ££.

I run the cabs with the V6 so that can only run at 2 or 4 ohms, so thats why I have 2 8ohm cabs. I have previously had a 4ohm 410 and used that on its own for a while with the V6 but it never did anything for me so I sold it.

I dont have a lot of treble in my tone anyway so I dont think missing out on any possible high end loss would make that much of a difference.

I have actually got one of the old TE 210s, which is more portable than the 410, so would the 210 and 15 be a wiser option? What are peoples experience with this setup? It wouldn't be as tall but I have seen people saying a 210 and 15 matches well

I play in a loud 3 piece punk band

Thanks again

Power-wise, a 115 and 210 should be an more even balance with both around 300watts per cab.
That would put the impedance at 4..if 8 ohm each, with a handling capacity of 600watts, typically.

I'd say that was your cheapest/easiest compromise.
If you like 15's, then the 210 will only liven it up a bit and enable you to hear the rig when around waist height, potentially.

A 210 and 115 makes more sense to me that a 410 and 115.

[quote name='TraceElliotBass' timestamp='1323386904' post='1462934']
....I have seen people saying a 210 and 15 matches well....
[/quote]
[size=4]I used a 210 and 115 Mesa Boogie stack for years and it sounded great. So adding a 210 could be a plan, if it is loud enough for you. [/size]

[size=4]If you are going to buy a cab I'd check out sitting a Barefaced Compact on top of your TE115? Alex is doing a deal on Compacts right now and you could get another at some time in the future. [/size]

I used to use a Trace Elliot 1x15 and 2x10 and it was fantastic. Together they weighed around 50kg.

I now use a Barefaced Compact and it is also fantastic - seems to cover the same tonal range as the old rig all by itself. It weighs around 12kg I think?

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1323426623' post='1463161']
I used to use a Trace Elliot 1x15 and 2x10 and it was fantastic. Together they weighed around 50kg.

I now use a Barefaced Compact and it is also fantastic - seems to cover the same tonal range as the old rig all by itself. It weighs around 12kg I think?
[/quote]

I have been looking at the Barefaced website and the cabs do look good - especially the weight, althought quite a bit of ££

Would a compact and a super twelve be a good pair for ,my v6?

Realistically if I was to say get the compact, would using it with the TE15 be ok? I'm just thinking about ££

Thanks again

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1323438477' post='1463401']
Should do the job. :)

I'd speak to Alex & see what cab would suit you best. He does a 30 day satisfaction.
[/quote]

There are girls who will do satisfaction in a lot less time than that :)

I think you have missed one cab that would probably have more punch and that's the barefaced compact... also there isn't a blanket rule with cone sizes these days yes.. traditional 4x10 would normally have more punch, but these days its not always the case... speak to the guys at barefaced...[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1323438477' post='1463401']
Should do the job. :)

I'd speak to Alex & see what cab would suit you best. He does a 30 day satisfaction.
[/quote]

+1

There's a christmas sale on too...

[quote name='TraceElliotBass' timestamp='1323434911' post='1463314']

Realistically if I was to say get the compact, would using it with the TE15 be ok? I'm just thinking about ££

Thanks again
[/quote]

I would imagine, but do not know, that a BF Compact would be fine on its own without the TE 1x15. With my old TE rig I had the choice of a 1x15, 2x10 and also a 1x18 - I used to mix and match depending on my mood, the gig and/or the state of my lumbar region. So far I have bought and used only a BF Compact and it has done everything I could ask of it - this with a TC Classic 450 head, not a Trace head. If money were no object I would add a BF Midget for just a tiny touch more top end, more headroom or, really, just to have a bigger looking pile of kit on stage. But, if I am honest with myself, that's just the GAS speaking as the Compact on its own is more than adequate for anything I need.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1323443634' post='1463498']
I would imagine, but do not know, that a BF Compact would be fine on its own without the TE 1x15. With my old TE rig I had the choice of a 1x15, 2x10 and also a 1x18 - I used to mix and match depending on my mood, the gig and/or the state of my lumbar region. So far I have bought and used only a BF Compact and it has done everything I could ask of it - this with a TC Classic 450 head, not a Trace head. If money were no object I would add a BF Midget for just a tiny touch more top end, more headroom or, really, just to have a bigger looking pile of kit on stage. But, if I am honest with myself, that's just the GAS speaking as the Compact on its own is more than adequate for anything I need.
[/quote]

I'd say if you have the money for the super 12, get that as you'll have alot of power and it's still very light and on wheels.. but if you could to with the extra funds get the compact see how that goes then get the midget, if you really really need it... with the 30 money back, you have time to upgrade to the super 12 or just wait... I'm still yet to hear someone not happy with BF.. I can't wait to order mine :)

Thanks for the replies, I have sent Barefaced a question on their website so hopefully will get a reply. Since seeing the super twelve I can see me using that and fitting in nicely, but once I see something I like my brain goes, must have NOW! :) I would love to just have a room full of cabs that's the dream....