Why become a member? ×

Commenting on for sale section prices?

stingrayPete1977

When I first joined I got flamed for it and have refrained ever since, very very rarely but just the other day actually I will send a message via pm to the seller if it looks like a genuine mistake or I know I have been having trouble selling the same item for a lot less, by which I would mean hundreds less maybe im not talking about complaining about a fiver. In the only recent case the seller did not realise the new prices had been cut by a big portion, a friendly message back and a general chat about the state of the market followed by a sensible reduction in price followed. Now if the seller is a noob as in the next case Im not so sure such a gentle approach is good what with some people having a few duff trades/sales here and there, I tried to be very subtle yet let other members know its not such a good deal which could be over looked if they were not up to speed with the latest retail prices (who knows every price for every amp/bass new?, not me). If a noobie seller is selling an item for more than a reputable shop is asking for brand new with a warranty surely it makes sense to let everyone know thats a duff deal? Im not talking about prices for used gear and the general ups and downs (I have learnt my lesson) just clear cut cases where the used item is being touted for more than new. Id be happy to remove my post if a realistic price was asked which is another case all together but used for more than new, come on. (pre CBS fender Vs new Mex does not compare :) )

I guess its a rule and thats that? Everyone has google and should double check these things though :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1322416682' post='1450607']Perhaps it is best to inform a mod and let them point out the error of the noobs ways?[/quote]
This assumes the seller is making an error. Just because the seller is asking a price that others here think is unrealistic does not mean the seller is making any error. The owner of an item has the right to ask whatever price they decide, and it is neither the right nor the responsibility of any member or a moderator to comment on or question that, where the seller is adhering to the rules laid down for participation in the marketplace. It is, as with all transactions, the responsibility of any potential buyers to familiarise themselves with the goods and the market value of those goods.

We've maintained the 'no commenting rule' throughout as not everyone has managed to maintain the decorum of BassChat when it comes to the peaceful and friendly environment we have here. - I mean, we're not a 'stereo-typical' forum - certainly nothing like any other I have been on. I'd urge potential buyers to stand by Caveat Emptor and to do their research before parting with your cash - you'd do the same when you bought a car right?? And basses are a WAY more valuable commodity than a motor!!! ha ha.

I think it is right to drop the seller a line and have a polite chat about the price - If they are a n00b then it helps to invite them in to the community if we are supportive. If the thread has gone awry then contact myself or one of the other moderators. Use the report button, which is very effective - all the Mods get to see the report and we can then deal with appropriately.

I think that if anyone is selling an item for too high a price, then they are probably going to realise it's on the high side if it doesn't shift.

and finally, those selling kit - as Pete says, doing a bit of homework - use closed For Sale ads to see if you can find similar pieces of gear and their prices - or indeed Google. It is your friend!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1322417509' post='1450624']
and finally, those selling kit - as Pete says, doing a bit of homework - use closed For Sale ads to see if you can find similar pieces of gear and their prices
[/quote]

This is what I do when I go to sell some thing on here. It therefore makes it a bit harder when a lot of users delete the asking price when they go to edit the post after the sale (I'm guilty of this a couple of times myself thinking about it). Maybe some thing could be put in the guidelines about leaving the price up? So as to help other members wanting to sell similar gear price accordingly.

I always leave the asking price on the ads once the deal is closed.

Recently I`ve seen a couple of things advertised on here, such as amps, that are advertised as two years old, and in good condition, for only £30 less than what the items cost brand new currently.

Must admit, I didn`t quite know what, if anything, I could/should have done. I suppose dropping the seller a PM, with a link to the current cost-price advising may be a good idea. As Dood says, it also looks more welcoming if the seller is a newbie, rather than critical in open-forum.

[quote name='joe_bass' timestamp='1322418086' post='1450637']
This is what I do when I go to sell some thing on here. It therefore makes it a bit harder when a lot of users delete the asking price when they go to edit the post after the sale (I'm guilty of this a couple of times myself thinking about it). Maybe some thing could be put in the guidelines about leaving the price up? So as to help other members wanting to sell similar gear price accordingly.
[/quote]
There are still lots of sale threads that request a deletion when the sale is finished - much better if they aren't deleted.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1322417676' post='1450628']
There have been plenty of occasions where the poster who was making a negative comment on the asking price (and not the seller) was the one making an error. This has been for various reasons: wrong model, upgrades, case
[/quote]

I'd agree but in both the cases Im talking about it was a current like for like amp model.

Tbf I try not to frequent the fs section too much at the moment :)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1322418682' post='1450651']
I always leave the asking price on the ads once the deal is closed.

Recently I`ve seen a couple of things advertised on here, such as amps, that are advertised as two years old, and in good condition, for only £30 less than what the items cost brand new currently.

Must admit, I didn`t quite know what, if anything, I could/should have done. I suppose dropping the seller a PM, with a link to the current cost-price advising may be a good idea. As Dood says, it also looks more welcoming if the seller is a newbie, rather than critical in open-forum.
[/quote]

That's exactly what I did in the first case, I'd say the asking price was still a bit much to sell but I would not comment as long as it was at least £1 below the new price.
In the second case as it was a noob I thought a gentle hint was worthwhile just so we could see what the reaction was, I didn't state any price comparison as such, the reply says it all :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1322417404' post='1450617']
This assumes the seller is making an error. Just because the seller is asking a price that others here think is unrealistic does not mean the seller is making any error. The owner of an item has the right to ask whatever price they decide, and it is neither the right nor the responsibility of any member or a moderator to comment on or question that, where the seller is adhering to the rules laid down for participation in the marketplace. It is, as with all transactions, the responsibility of any potential buyers to familiarise themselves with the goods and the market value of those goods.
[/quote]

I did go on to say:
[quote]Anyway, it probably won't sell at an inflated rate because, as you say, we all have google!
[/quote]

:)

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1322421897' post='1450702']I did go on to say:[/quote]
Read what you went on to say before posting. Had no comment worth adding or view worth expressing on that content. Did, however, disagree with your suggestion that it was for members to inform on seller's listings in order to have moderators review seller's pricing, so specifically highlighted, and commented.

I've only ever done this once to my recollection.

It was an eBay sale for a lefty Sei Flamboyant up for only a couple of hundred pounds less than a brand new one made to buyer's spec.

I was actually trying to help the seller (not in the market for it myself as I already had the headless Original 5 by then). I got a flea in my ear for my trouble and swore never to do it again. I did keep an eye on it for a while however as he kept relisting it. After it had failed to sell for the third or fourth time I stopped looking. No need. :)

These days I just don't bother - if the seller is too stupid or too greedy to do a bit of research then that's his problem.

I messaged a guy selling a Pre EB ray pick guard for £90 as it had a cut out for the EBMM wheel of fortune making it at least 90's more likely about as old as the jar of Marmite in our cupboard! He said the guy that sold it them in their shop assured them it was genuine and that I should stop annoying him, it was on there for about a year before he gave up!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1322428046' post='1450827']
This was a one off for me JT as it was the same price as brand new, normally I'd say nothing unless I genuinely like it :)

Could just be a noob trying his luck?
[/quote]

Yes.... agree, difficult call.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1322425144' post='1450767']
Read what you went on to say before posting. Had no comment worth adding or view worth expressing on that content. Did, however, disagree with your suggestion that it was for members to inform on seller's listings in order to have moderators review seller's pricing, so specifically highlighted, and commented.
[/quote]

But that took my comment out of context.

I was pointing out that Pete had the option of not breaking the rules by talking to a mod instead of posting on the price.

I agree that it is not really up to any of us to review prices and all items will find their own level.

Personally, I would not even contact someone who had an elevated price. I would check if the item was worth it and if over priced, I would look else where.

No point in offering a low price tbh as it offen offends!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1322428046' post='1450827']Could just be a noob trying his luck?[/quote]
Alternatively, as is all too common, the overly optimistic owner. The one who bought a bass from their local store six, nine, or twelve months previously, paying £1,000, and expects to be able to sell a readily available commodity for £950. (Or, worse, for the full £1,000.) There have been a few of those daydreamers doing the rounds recently, But, it's the seller's call. If that's the price they want, it's the price they ask, and it's the price you pay if they have something you want. It's life in a free market economy.

If a seller's asking too much, they may get more realistic offers from a potential buyer and possibly realise they misjudged the original price. However if other with no interest in buying the item, but know (or think they know) the price of everything so reckon the asking price is too high, they should keep it to themselves. The seller will eventually realise that asking too much was a waste TIM.

this happened to me when i went to sell my beloved top of the range Farida for which the new list price had [i]just[/i] [i]been more than halved[/i]! Due to Farida deciding to concentrate on their high end acoustics. I didnt know this and someone PM'd me and politely let me know. So i soon realized if i couldnt get a reasonable price then i didnt want to sell it, and i raised the money for car repairs by doing a few car boot sales with my accumulated excess junk. I actually have that same bass round my neck right now[color=#ff0000][b][size=5]*[/size][/b][/color] Frankly i am glad it happened :)

[color=#ff0000][size=5][b]*[/b][/size][/color](yes i do sit at the keyboard and pick at my bass. Dosent everyone ? ..... What do you mean, NO? :) )

Edited by daz

I think it's fair to comment on prices when someone is trying to profiteer on Basschat goodwill.

There was a case a few months ago where a bass was sold at a bargain price and the buyer later put it up for sale with a hefty mark-up, thus pricing out people who genuinely wanted the instrument and denying the original seller a fair price at the same time. I really hated this.

Edited by Alfie

I noticed the listing you're talking about.

I live in Spain and I'm going to take a guess that Italy has quite a similar 2nd hand market. It's quite typical here for people to ask quite a lot for second hand stuff. 2nd hand cars really hold their value and the local classifieds are full of 2nd hand stuff which is about 15- 20% cheaper than the shop price.

The prices in Cash Converters here are hilarious. It's quite typical to see Stagg or no-name P-basses going for 150€ or more in the one next to my office. Charity shops are also quite expensive.

I actually bought a 2nd hand P-bass from a guy in London a while back and could almost certainly sell it at a profit here.

The prices on Basschat classified are much lower than on bajistas.org (a Spanish bass forum I'm on).