Why become a member? ×

Deep Purple Glasgow gig

dmccombe7

Went to see Deep Purple last night.
Great night.
Glover is rock steady on bass and Gillan still got it.
Covered many of the older tracks with some newer ones from their last album which was 5 yrs ago as pointed out by Mr Gillan himself.
Glover was using 2 different Vigier basses thru TC cabs. Couldn't see any amp heads at all but guess they will be TC as well.
Steve Morse was excellent and entertaining.
Don Airey on keys found his solos a little bit long winded and a tad boring IMO but he played well through the songs.
Paice was like Glover rock solid.

Support from Cheap Trick. Not a huge fan but recognised some of their songs. Great bass sound thru an Orange stack. Full, deep and multi stringed. Couldn't quite make out how many strings but I'm sure he uses a 12'er. Singers outfit did make him look a bit of a twat though.

Great show and a good night was had by me and my better half. All made even better cause i stayed in the Plaza hotel so didn't even have to brave the elements to get home. Straight from the hotel thru interconnecting hallway to venue. Brilliant.

Anyone else got any thoughts on D.P. recently.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Again... memories... I saw them first of all during the 'Burn' tour when the new boys Glenn Hughes and David Coverdale (back when he had his own hair, nose and teeth - Deep Purple MkIII featuring David Coverdale Mk.I)) had joined the fun. I was right at the front of the stage. A naked woman ran on stage at one point and jumped on Richie Blackmore who, once he had overcome his obvious embarrassment, seized the moment and played the guitar on her arse. Pendulous breasts aside it was a superb show.

Then again early into the Steve Morse era when they were down on their luck a bit and played at a small-ish (400 ) venue The Cliff's Pavillion. I think they played as loud both times! Roger Glover is probably the bass player I admire most - I love what he does.

Sorry to wander off on one but, well, yes, happy days.

Edited by Paul S

Any more details on the naked woman appreciated - photos perhaps, detailed sketch - anything really. :)
Sounds like it was a more eventful night than mine.
Why doesn't this kinda thing happen when I'm at a gig. :)

Seriously though it was a great night and i fair enjoyed it and no buzzing in my ears after the gig. Sensible volumes for us oldies. :)

Dave

Went to Birmingham last night. No Speed King in the current set list I'm afraid, though they did play an obscurity from the In Rock album, Hard Lovin Man. Gillan's voice was initially not too bad but definitely deteriorated as the set went on, well he is technically a pensioner these days after all :)
After initially getting lousy seats overlooking flight cases at the side of the stage I got in full moaning mode at the box office, getting me and my mate on the arena floor on the first row though we were stuck in a corner. It was on Rog's side of the stage though so it was interesting to see him work close up. He even got a little solo spot and although he didn't convince me that bass guitar is much of a solo instrument (no bass player has yet) it was nice to see a solo that was melodic, not over long and DID NOT INCLUDE A SINGLE SLAPPED OR POPPED NOTE. Thanks for that Rog :)

Edited by KevB

Cheap Trick were huge at one time and i was a bit surprised to see them support.
Recognised a few of their songs but was never a huge fan even in their day.

Did they always have a singer and keyboards. I thought they were always a 3 piece but could be far wrong there.
Keys were kinda hidden to one side in the shade as it were - deliberately by the look of it.
They didn't have an overdose of keys and used more as a backing.
Bass was quite something and i was really impressed by his sound when he did little solo spots.

Glovers solo was pretty solid as you would expect and better and more entertaining than i would have thought for his style of bass playing.
I kinda agree with the comment on bass solos. They don't really work too well in rock bands IMO.
More suited to jazz or slap style where there is more scope to entertain. Still bores the hell out of me though.

Highway Star was pretty good, Perfect Strangers and Knockin on back door also good.
Of course they did Smoke and Black Night as encore which to be fair is their trademark in a way.

I enjoyed it all - good night. Nothing to complain about for me.

Dave

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1322406216' post='1450415']
Again... memories... I saw them first of all during the 'Burn' tour when the new boys Glenn Hughes and David Coverdale.
[/quote]

Super super super Glenn super Glenn super Glenn super super super Glenn super Glennie Hughesey. He can still sing both Coverdale and Gillan under the table.

Saw, and met Glenn a couple of weeks ago at one of his accoustic shows, superb.

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1322503036' post='1451713']
Going to Manchester, simply to see Cheap Trick.
[/quote]

I went to Glasgow... simply to see Cheap Trick! :)

Loved the fact that CT's set was made up of all sorts of older stuff (+the obligatory IWYTWM) and it was a pleasure to hear TP's 12 string in the flesh so to speak.

Deep Purple were OK but I was bored out of my tree with solos! :) Many, many years since I've been to a gig where EVERY band member did a solo spot (or two)... what is that all about. :)

Enjoyed the old stuff but have to confess that the highlight was the classical bits and the fiddle/violin v guitar duel.

Long live Cheap Trick. :o

I’m with Paul S on this one – I first went to see them in Stoke on the ‘Burn’ tour, with Elf playing support.
I was young, had long hair and wore flairs (flares?) in them days, and was so skint I had to sell my Quo ticket ‘cause I didn’t have enough to buy tickets to see both, and I’d recently borrowed older bro’s copy of ‘Made In Japan’, so there was NO WAY I wasn’t going. Ah, I remember it well........

Ronnie and his mates did their bit, great voice but at that point unknown to the great unwashed, and an announcer came on at 8.30 to say that there was a problem with Jon Lord’s hammond and that someone had gone to London to get a replacement valve, or something similar, and that they might be a bit late coming on – anyway, they came on at 9.15 and were still going at midnight. Walked home after with a smile that lasted a week.

Have seen them 3 or 4 times since, also went to Birmingham and thought that it was a great show – they may all have either got or are about to get their free bus passes but apart from a couple of stops to catch breath it was non-stop for about an hour 40, if not more. With a 38 piece orchestra in tow who were all being silly at times (how funny was that) it was no mean feat. Whoever wrote the score, along with the sound engineer, both deserve a medal, very impressive in my book for what it’s worth.

Even the missus enjoyed it, and that can’t be bad.

I saw them a couple of years back at Wembley, I was a little worried as Gillan's voice has been has been a bit hit and miss over the past few years. Any worries I had were gone straight away, he was on top form. They even did Into The Fire!
Glover was fantastic as ever although I'm afraid his Vigier tone leaves me cold, there's just no charater to it. Bring back the Rickenbacker and Marshalls and have done with it :)

I bloody love Purple.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1322506798' post='1451821']
I went to Glasgow... simply to see Cheap Trick! :)

Loved the fact that CT's set was made up of all sorts of older stuff (+the obligatory IWYTWM) and it was a pleasure to hear TP's 12 string in the flesh so to speak.

Deep Purple were OK but I was bored out of my tree with solos! :) Many, many years since I've been to a gig where EVERY band member did a solo spot (or two)... what is that all about. :)

Enjoyed the old stuff but have to confess that the highlight was the classical bits and the fiddle/violin v guitar duel.

Long live Cheap Trick. :o
[/quote]

CT's set was very heavily biased to the Dream Police album (they did about 5 tracks from it in B'ham and two of them are long songs) but it's one of their best so no great harm I guess. DP have done solo spots for years and these days they are probably needed as much to give Gillan's voice a rest as anything else.

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1322504026' post='1451743']
Super super super Glenn super Glenn super Glenn super super super Glenn super Glennie Hughesey. He can still sing both Coverdale and Gillan under the table.

Saw, and met Glenn a couple of weeks ago at one of his accoustic shows, superb.
[/quote]

I'm picking up here that you might be a Glenn Hughes fan. I am very much enjoying Black Country Communion at the moment in which his bass playing and singing are astronomical, guess you might like it too. The BCC version of Medusa - the vocal gets the hairs on my neck going!

Fine singer is Glenn when he's not off his t*ts on some substance or other. Saw him last year doing small club gigs with his own band in between the release of the 2 BCC albums, then saw him this year with BCC at High Voltage, one of the best acts of the day. Almost popped down to see him doing his chat/book plugging thing this month but something else came up.

Having seen both bands tonight, Cheap Trick came out way in front (I'm biased) despite a 'PA failure' during their last
song that cut their set short by at least 6 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR_LajHsCPY

Ian Gillan set himself a very high standard to keep up years ago and he can't get anywhere near those high notes now.
Glover's bass sound for me was extremely weedy. I have to confess I didn't get to see the end of the show.

Edited by 12stringbassist

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1322573745' post='1452819']

I'm picking up here that you might be a Glenn Hughes fan. I am very much enjoying Black Country Communion at the moment in which his bass playing and singing are astronomical, guess you might like it too. The BCC version of Medusa - the vocal gets the hairs on my neck going!
[/quote]

been a massive Hughes fan since purple. Im so glad he's sorted himself out and is now sober. Bcc 2 is an incredible cd. I've met Glenn a few times and he's always been a gent .

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1322651094' post='1453880']
been a massive Hughes fan since purple. Im so glad he's sorted himself out and is now sober. Bcc 2 is an incredible cd. I've met Glenn a few times and he's always been a gent .
[/quote]

Quite fancy his autobiography which is due out soon if not already on sale.
He's had quite a colourful life and has always remained a nice guy throughout his various difficult times.
Great singer and an amazingly talented bassist into the bargain.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1322659276' post='1454030']

Quite fancy his autobiography which is due out soon if not already on sale.
He's had quite a colourful life and has always remained a nice guy throughout his various difficult times.
Great singer and an amazingly talented bassist into the bargain.

Dave
[/quote]

autobiography is out now and well worth a read. Once i started to read it i could not put it down