Why become a member? ×

New Zoom B3

dannybuoy

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1346540681' post='1790482']
How come everyone here loves the B3 and think its really good while the demo vids on youtube of this multifx (including the official zoom vid) all sound like crap?
I would like to testdrive a B3 since you're all so positive but none of the shops here seems to have them in stock... Not willing to take the plunge and ordering online on this one.
[/quote]

I'm guessing most of the demos are done with the presets, which admittedly aren't very good. Once you start creating your own patches that's when the real magic happens! The only type of effect which hasn't really impressed me so far is the distortion/drive effects but some have found them acceptable.

Seriously, for the price it's hard to beat! You would struggle get a decent Chorus, compressor,and a DI box for under £150 and this comes with all that and more!

I went into nevada music in portsmouth today, to try some bass fuzzes. I tried this after my dad pointed it out, and i must say, i really really like it! Im getting it for christmas. I have one question, the g3 got an update so it uses 6 pedals at once, so if the b3 gets that, can you update the one you already have to use 6 pedals? Or is it only new ones made that can use 6...if you get what i mean. Thanks :)

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1346540681' post='1790482']
How come everyone here loves the B3 and think its really good while the demo vids on youtube of this multifx (including the official zoom vid) all sound like crap?

[/quote]

because YouTube videos don't account for the person's ability to actually know how to make a decent video - and thus, make the pedal sound rubbish lol! The official video leaves a lot to be desired too. If I had the spare time I'd do a decent video myself. I even floated the idea with Guitar Interactive Magazine.

[quote name='still-young' timestamp='1347258017' post='1798465']
Does anybody know if the Source Audio Hot Hand works on this?
Thanks
[/quote]

I'm not sure, but i'd expect it to - and it'd be pretty amazing if it does!

[quote name='still-young' timestamp='1347118114' post='1797159']
I went into nevada music in portsmouth today, to try some bass fuzzes. I tried this after my dad pointed it out, and i must say, i really really like it! Im getting it for christmas. I have one question, the g3 got an update so it uses 6 pedals at once, so if the b3 gets that, can you update the one you already have to use 6 pedals? Or is it only new ones made that can use 6...if you get what i mean. Thanks :)
[/quote][quote name='still-young' timestamp='1347118114' post='1797159']
[/quote]
[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1347176059' post='1797591']
I'm getting frustrated the update hasn't been released yet...
[/quote]
[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1347201413' post='1797939']
A few guys on TB emailed in and they all got pretty vague responses basically saying that they dont know if they will be releasing an update, but would pass their comments on to the development team.
[/quote]

For all of you interested on the B3 update, this is the reply I got from Zoom:

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[i][b]Thank you for your inquiry.[/b][/i][/size][/font]
[i][b]Unfortunately, we don't have the plan to update the B3 currently. However, we will pass your mail to our development group as feed-back to the B3 though we don't know whether your request can adapt to our development group.[/b][/i][/size][/font]
[i][b]Sincerely yours,[/b][/i][/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[i][b]ZOOM CORPORATION[/b][/i][/size][/font]

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1347310625' post='1799271']
Cool, who do I email to ask the same question? - Ya know, plant the seeds n' all!
[/quote]
I emailed them at: [color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] [/font][/color][email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]

The more emails they receive asking for the update the better!....Lots of people on TalkBass already asking them for it so let's do the same over here.

[quote name='still-young' timestamp='1347318687' post='1799398']
How do people rate the Ring Mod? Anyone know if it's possible to get a sound similar to Conjugal Burns by The Mars Volta? Cheers :) sorry for all the questions
[/quote]

The ring mod is pretty good. The frequency doesn't go as high as Juan's, but chuck in a bit of vibrato and you get a passable sound.

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1347350034' post='1799545']The more emails they receive asking for the update the better!....Lots of people on TalkBass already asking them for it so let's do the same over here.[/quote]

Emailed them too, I also asked about B3X and B5 versions....

Sorry of this has already been covered, but I don't have time to read through the whole thread!

Maybe some of you B3 owners can tell me:

1. Do they suffer any loss of bottom end/guts, etc?
2. Is it easy to change between patches whilst playing?
3. Are the synth or filter sounds any good?
4. Does it behave okay when used with other pedals?

It certainly looks like a lot of bang for the buck, and would help me minimise my gear a bit!

Thanks.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1348698635' post='1817235']
1. Do they suffer any loss of bottom end/guts, etc?
2. Is it easy to change between patches whilst playing?
3. Are the synth or filter sounds any good?
4. Does it behave okay when used with other pedals?
[/quote]

1. No, probably the most transparent multi effects unit there is! If it wasn't I would not have even considered getting it.
2. You have to hold one of the footswitches down for a few seconds to go into 'patch mode', then you hit a footswitch to cycle through the patches. It's a bit of a ball ache if you want to turn individual effects on and off within the patches, but if not just keep it in patch mode! :)
3. I'm not much of a synth/filter user, but I found they sounded pretty decent and tracked pretty well even for me not being used to them.
4. I use mine with a few analog pedals. Works fine, but if you have them sharing an un-isolated power supply you do get a strange high pitched electronic noise constantly. For now, I use the ZNR (gate) to deal with the problem when I'm not playing... It's not noticeable on a gig but I will be getting an isolated thingy eventually for it.

Hope that helps! All in all you couldn't get a better unit for the price... I went from this:

To this:

And am very happy. I call it an upgrade! :)