Why become a member? ×

Letter From The Editor

nick@ibassmag

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1335215757' post='1627553']
I spoke to Nick today guys and he's going to come back and look over this thread. He's been really busy and mentioned that he'd like users to email iBass directly about any queries or upsets as he doesn't log into this site every week like a lot of us.
[/quote]

Then why be here?

It's a genuine question. People are posting here - they expect replies, as that's how these things work. They're not used to waiting. Nick will just be opening himself up to issues if he's unable to interact with the forum as people expect.

[i]I posted a question and no one answered[/i][i].[/i]

[i]He's never on here.[/i]

[i]Nothing seems to be happening, I can't see any updates on the forum.[/i]

[i]Etc, etc.[/i]

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1335215757' post='1627553']
I spoke to Nick today guys and he's going to come back and look over this thread. He's been really busy and mentioned that he'd like users to email iBass directly about any queries or upsets as he doesn't log into this site every week like a lot of us.
[/quote]

Sounds like bollocks to me. Poor planning and execution. I'm sorry but if you want to make a business of social media, you better get your sh*t together and offer some advantages and interaction. You can't engage then disengage because you're a bit busy, you'll lose your audience and trust so quickly.

This is so strange, the importance of internet forums shouldn't be rocket science in this day and age.
Why ask for communication by email when posting on here would be an infinitely more effective way to reach a huge part of the target audience?

Nick - please look for the little "follow this topic" button at the top right. Choose immediate notification and you get an email for each post made in this thread. The email even contains the post in question. Hop this helps.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1335220872' post='1627671']
Sounds like bollocks to me. Poor planning and execution. I'm sorry but if you want to make a business of social media, you better get your sh*t together and offer some advantages and interaction. You can't engage then disengage because you're a bit busy, you'll lose your audience and trust so quickly.
[/quote]

Don't shoot the messenger guys. I was just mentioning that i've made him aware of the questions being said and he will be coming back to answer them.

I would agree. If iBass Magazine aren't going to use this forum to interact with their (potential) readers then why are they here?

Ped, did they ask specifically for this sub-forum or was this something that Basschat offered to them?

Making the internet work for you has to be an essential part of any company's business strategy and doubly so if your product is delivered on-line only. I would have thought that Basschat would be one of their most important outlets for their publicity. A captive audience who are all potentially interested in the product. A membership of over 20,000 with approximately 1000 people browsing the forum at any one time. As what is essentially a niche product, you don't get much better access to your target audience than that!

As a potential reader it worries me that iBass Magazine hasn't even "published" its third issue but already they are changing the business model. If I was already a subscriber I would not be a happy person. I spent a couple of hours last night looking at issue one now that it's viewable by non-subscribers (Issue 2 isn't for some reason I just get an error message) and I couldn't see what I was missing to be worth subscribing for.

To an outside observer the big problem seems to be that the producers simply don't appear to be internet-savvy enough to be able to deliver a worthy product. This is supposed to be an on-line only product yet the basic layout still follows that of a print magazine and the delivery system being used is one designed to allow publishers of printed matter to get them on-line with the minimum of effort rather than something that actually makes use of the unique strengths of on-line publication. You know if I have to have a computer and an active internet connection to read iBass Magazine it needs to have unique features to make up for the fact that it's not a printed magazine that I can stick in my bag and read when I go out on the bus or train, on holiday on the beach or at home in the bath. At the moment it doesn't.

I suspected that iBass was going to be a disappointment when I read the original post by the editor and saw that he hadn't learnt how to make his links clickable. To me this is basic stuff and for the public face of an internet only business completely unforgivable.

I would love for there to be a really good bass magazine (either printed or on-line) and would be happy to support it. However on current showing I have to say that iBass Magazine isn't it.

Hi guys..

A quick update for you…

The re-programming is all but finished and we've almost got the mag back up and running. This has taken WAY longer than we had anticipated, but we're doing all that we can to get back on track. Would we have done things differently if we had the chance to start again? I'm sure we would, but the learning curve for any new business is a steep one and sometimes you've no choice but to roll with the punches. There's no doubt in my mind that the material we're currently working on is as good as you'll see in any bass publication and once we've caught up things should become much smoother.

Apologies for not responding sooner, and I will be checking back regularly from here on in. Maybe I need to put together some kind of BassChat street team to help answer questions when I can't get on here? Let me know if you'd like to get involved. In the meantime, please feel free to give us a call or drop me an email if you've any questions and I'll do all I can to get back to you asap.

Nick

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1335257720' post='1627919']
I would agree. If iBass Magazine aren't going to use this forum to interact with their (potential) readers then why are they here?

Ped, did they ask specifically for this sub-forum or was this something that Basschat offered to them?
[/quote]

I can't remember to be honest but when the mag first launched we did a banner and the sub-forum at the same time; I wanted to let Nick post updates here and take any ideas, discuss articles from the mag etc to sort of tie the two in a little bit. We even discussed having little 'Discuss this article on BC' buttons at the end of magazine articles that woudl take you to this forum, and I think they are still going to feature. So, I think it has big potential.

However, and this is a big one. I have offered sponsored forums before, usually to new companies we would like to help out. We haven't ever charged for one because we hoped that they would either allow our members to give feedback about a certain product (Innovation strings is a good example of this) or have access to exclusive offers/updates from shops (GAK used to have one...)

The problem is that as much as some of these companies like the idea, they often don't update them enough or take the bull by the horns. Maybe it's because some shops just don't understand the community or because they don't value it, I don't know. Innovation did things pretty well by asking a BC member to post on their behalf which has been useful and worked well. Talking to Jason How at Rotosound the other week I know some company owners/employees are also unsure about how to approach a community as large as BC because they don't want to come across as advertising or taking advantage. This is partly my fault for not being clear about how companies/employees should conduct themselves. I'm adressing this at the moment.

I've just heard from Nick who is catching up with this thread so hopefully he'll update us soon. I think I speak for all of us when I say we all hope iBass is a success and hopefully Nick will either appoint someone to maintain the iBass forum or check it on a regular basis as I would assume that most of his potential readership is already on Basschat.

Cheers
ped

EDIT: Nick posted whilst I was typing!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1335257720' post='1627919']

Making the internet work for you has to be an essential part of any company's business strategy and doubly so if your product is delivered on-line only. I would have thought that Basschat would be one of their most important outlets for their publicity. A captive audience who are all potentially interested in the product. A membership of over 20,000 with approximately 1000 people browsing the forum at any one time. As what is essentially a niche product, you don't get much better access to your target audience than that!

As a potential reader it worries me that iBass Magazine hasn't even "published" its third issue but already they are changing the business model. If I was already a subscriber I would not be a happy person. I spent a couple of hours last night looking at issue one now that it's viewable by non-subscribers (Issue 2 isn't for some reason I just get an error message) and I couldn't see what I was missing to be worth subscribing for.

To an outside observer the big problem seems to be that the producers simply don't appear to be internet-savvy enough to be able to deliver a worthy product. This is supposed to be an on-line only product yet the basic layout still follows that of a print magazine and the delivery system being used is one designed to allow publishers of printed matter to get them on-line with the minimum of effort rather than something that actually makes use of the unique strengths of on-line publication. You know if I have to have a computer and an active internet connection to read iBass Magazine it needs to have unique features to make up for the fact that it's not a printed magazine that I can stick in my bag and read when I go out on the bus or train, on holiday on the beach or at home in the bath. At the moment it doesn't.

I suspected that iBass was going to be a disappointment when I read the original post by the editor and saw that he hadn't learnt how to make his links clickable. To me this is basic stuff and for the public face of an internet only business completely unforgivable.

I would love for there to be a really good bass magazine (either printed or on-line) and would be happy to support it. However on current showing I have to say that iBass Magazine isn't it.
[/quote]

I completely agree.

I actually found the issue I bought to be difficult and frustrating to navigate, the content limited, and the only advantage taken of the medium to be video, much of which was promotional and advertorial in nature.

There are very few online parallels with printed material, I'm wondering if there is any point in a monthly magazine on the internet, why do I want to wait a month for something that isn't even really interactive, or delivering the amazing advantages of the online experience? Navigating printed periodical media is still much easier than most online equivalents and offers a better experience in most cases. I want to interact with online media, I want to to be able to talk to the people in the magazine. If there's an interview with Jeff Berlin, why not open a publication-specific dialogue with him and the readers for a limited time as part of the package? I don't want just pictures and a review of a bass, I want video, I want to hear it and almost feel it, as well as see it,

I want things I can't get from printed media, I want to hear the difference between the latest Fender Jazz on review, and a 1960s Jazz, and a Lakeland Jazz, and a Encore Jazz. I want to HEAR the difference between the Wizard Thumper and the stock Fender Precision Pickup. I want to HEAR the difference between the Glockenklang and the John East in the same bass. Or the tone and sustain difference between a Badass compared to the Bent Tin, the balance of a bass with Fender tuners changed to Hipshot Ultralights. I want to HEAR those DR Sunbeams against the Hi-Beams, and the Rotosounds. I want to see how that Warmoth Jazz neck actually fits a bunch of Fender bodies. While you're at it, grab those Fender bodies, and some others, maybe a big block of plywood, and a block of plastic, install the same pickups, electronics and hardware, neck and strings, and let's see a scientific analysis of the unamplified and amplified tonal differences. I WANT TESTS! I want to see manufacturers' claims and received wisdom tested. And I want it ALL to be IMPARTIAL.

I really hope ibass get it together, it could be great, but it requires some forward thinking about what it can offer an audience, and the right interface.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='nick@ibassmag' timestamp='1335258590' post='1627936']
Apologies for not responding sooner, and I will be checking back regularly from here on in. Maybe I need to put together some kind of BassChat street team to help answer questions when I can't get on here? Let me know if you'd like to get involved. In the meantime, please feel free to give us a call or drop me an email if you've any questions and I'll do all I can to get back to you asap.
[/quote]

That would be a very good idea, Nick - nothing too serious, but find yourself the odd volunteer/advocate who is able to fulfil the role, and drive this section forward.

I was going to post a review of the magazine, but if there's a new improved issue out imminently then I'll hold off until it's out so that I'm not highlighting any problems that have been addressed.

Going on from what silddx has said I agree that there seems little point in only producing something monthly when it's only on-line. IMO the internet is far better suited to frequent small updates. That way you are continually driving readers to your site and it helps to keep the bandwidth requirements much more even.

The last design and advertising agency I worked for was nearly all on-line interactive media and one of the biggest problems we had was coping with initial spikes in bandwidth requirements when we released a new micro-site or interactive game and everyone on the mailing list tried to get on it at the same time. There's nothing guaranteed to piss off an on-line audience faster than being told of something new to check out and then finding that they can't see it or it's not working properly because the server cant cope with the initial demand.

If your audience knows that you update the site content on a regular (daily) basis they'll start visiting automatically when it suits them which spreads the load, rather than everyone trying to access the new monthly content at the same time (just after the email say it's available has gone out). Also it gives you much more flexibility about when to release articles. If something requires a particular feature that isn't quite working yet you can save it until it is and put out something else in its place rather than having to hold up everything in the case of a monthly "publication".

I still buy printed magazine, but I also read a lot of on-line blogs. I would say that I find the daily format of the blog better for absorbing articles than the "info dump" of the monthly publication.

Apologies for not responding sooner, and I will be checking back regularly from here on in. Maybe I need to put together some kind of BassChat street team to help answer questions when I can't get on here? [/quote]

Thank you for coming back. Now, can you please answer my previous question about your new subs model? Do existing subscribers get a refund if they elect to go for the free content only?

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1335260192' post='1627993']
I completely agree.

I actually found the issue I bought to be difficult and frustrating to navigate, the content limited, and the only advantage taken of the medium to be video, much of which was promotional and advertorial in nature.

There are very few online parallels with printed material, I'm wondering if there is any point in a monthly magazine on the internet, why do I want to wait a month for something that isn't even really interactive, or delivering the amazing advantages of the online experience? Navigating printed periodical media is still much easier than most online equivalents and offers a better experience in most cases. I want to interact with online media, I want to to be able to talk to the people in the magazine. If there's an interview with Jeff Berlin, why not open a publication-specific dialogue with him and the readers for a limited time as part of the package? I don't want just pictures and a review of a bass, I want video, I want to hear it and almost feel it, as well as see it,

I want things I can't get from printed media, I want to hear the difference between the latest Fender Jazz on review, and a 1960s Jazz, and a Lakeland Jazz, and a Encore Jazz. I want to HEAR the difference between the Wizard Thumper and the stock Fender Precision Pickup. I want to HEAR the difference between the Glockenklang and the John East in the same bass. Or the tone and sustain difference between a Badass compared to the Bent Tin, the balance of a bass with Fender tuners changed to Hipshot Ultralights. I want to HEAR those DR Sunbeams against the Hi-Beams, and the Rotosounds. I want to see how that Warmoth Jazz neck actually fits a bunch of Fender bodies. While you're at it, grab those Fender bodies, and some others, maybe a big block of plywood, and a block of plastic, install the same pickups, electronics and hardware, neck and strings, and let's see a scientific analysis of the unamplified and amplified tonal differences. I WANT TESTS! I want to see manufacturers' claims and received wisdom tested. And I want it ALL to be IMPARTIAL.

I really hope ibass get it together, it could be great, but it requires some forward thinking about what it can offer an audience, and the right interface.
[/quote]
In my judgement, there is no point in paying any attention to iBass as I know full well that it is doomed to failure.

In my opinion, it is just not good enough - for all the reasons that Silddx said. If they are going to do it this way - just go and buy yourself a printed magazine instead.

Also, the flippant way that this guys throws out excuses is annoying. Good luck to anyone who spends any money on the premium version - rather you than me.

Edited by The Dark Lord

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1335277054' post='1628466']

In my judgement, there is no point in paying any attention to iBass as I know full well that it is doomed to failure.

In my opinion, it is just not good enough - for all the reasons that Silddx said. If they are going to do it this way - just go and buy yourself a printed magazine instead.

Also, the flippant way that this guys throws out excuses is annoying. Good luck to anyone who spends any money on the premium version - rather you than me.
[/quote]
Afraid you may be right, but hope you're not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys..

A quick update for you…

The re-programming is all but finished and we've almost got the mag back up and running. This has taken WAY longer than we had anticipated, but we're doing all that we can to get back on track. Would we have done things differently if we had the chance to start again? I'm sure we would, but the learning curve for any new business is a steep one and sometimes you've no choice but to roll with the punches. There's no doubt in my mind that the material we're currently working on is as good as you'll see in any bass publication and once we've caught up things should become much smoother.

Nick
[/quote]
Seeing as it's been a month since the last update it would be nice to hear how/if things are progressing.
I assume you subscribe to this thread, if so every new post should end up in your email.
Fingers crossed you get the iPad version out soon! I would definitely check out your mag in that format.

Edited by BB3000S

Alright chaps, Nick has asked that I remove the separate iBass magazine forum subsection so the threads will be distributed into the parent forum just in case you're wondering where they are. This thread will still be there and your subscriptions tot he thread(s) will still work.

This is also because normally sponsors pay for these separate forums and as iBass haven't renewed at the moment it's only fair to remove it anyway.

Cheers
ped

This is the problem with media. There are those that can... and those that enjoy playing at it.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I[/url]

People have paid money. You deliver the goods. Simple. Otherwise, you're just a crook.

So lets get this right, can't reply to a thread but can converse with ped. Hmm...

I'd give up now. Tarnished beyond recovery I reckon.

Been reading this thread with interest (more painful frustration for those who have paid for a subscription actually). I do hope this gets resolved because this magazine is a totally naff operation and you deserve some explanations.

Edited by risingson