Why become a member? ×

TC electronic.....help!

basstech

Hi Guys
Need u're help...
I've got a BH500 and 2x10 and 2x12 matched cabs....my problem is that the amp doesn't sound very loud ( I have to play on 8/10) at normal pub gigs. I use a Warwick Corvette and Sansamp programmable preamp.I'm surprised that it seems that players rate the BH500 for its volume. Any ideas/suggestions very welcome! My band doesnt play exceptionally loud so I don't see that as the problem. I'm now thinking that I may have to trade up to a 750w amp or even higher!! Is this the reason TC have bought out the Blacksmith??

cheers!!
JB

Seems a bit odd to me, possible fault in the amp maybe, rather than regular performance. No experience with the BH500, but I did have a Classic 450, and that was plenty powerful enough. Never needed it on more than 4 on the volume, in punk and heavy rock bands.

Hi basstech

Sorry to hear you are having an issue, that doesn't sound at all right to me and from what you write sounds like a faulty amp unfortunately.

I would suggest getting in touch with the shop you bought it from to get it sorted under warranty.

Which store was it so I can keep an eye on its progress?

Before you do that though where abouts do you have the input gain set? Best way to check this part isn't wrong is by plugging your bass directly into the amp, turning the input gain up whilst playing hard until the peak light is flashing, then backing it off a little. It's important to get the gain structure right to achieve the best tone/volume etc. I personally don't think you'd need the SansAmp in the chain due to the APM/TubeTone etc. TBH

Apologies if you've already done this and I hope I'm not telling you how to "suck eggs" :)

[quote name='bruce@tc' timestamp='1321438657' post='1439033']
Hi basstech

Sorry to hear you are having an issue, that doesn't sound at all right to me and from what you write sounds like a faulty amp unfortunately.

I would suggest getting in touch with the shop you bought it from to get it sorted under warranty.......
[/quote]
How to build a good reputation in one easy lesson. Acknowledge customer problems and let them know you are on the case. :)

[quote name='bruce@tc' timestamp='1321438657' post='1439033']
Hi basstech

I would suggest getting in touch with the shop you bought it from to get it sorted under warranty.

Which store was it so I can keep an eye on its progress?

Before you do that though where abouts do you have the input gain set? Best way to check this part isn't wrong is by plugging your bass directly into the amp, turning the input gain up whilst playing hard until the peak light is flashing, then backing it off a little. It's important to get the gain structure right to achieve the best tone/volume etc. I personally don't think you'd need the SansAmp in the chain due to the APM/TubeTone etc. TBH

Apologies if you've already done this and I hope I'm not telling you how to "suck eggs" :)
[/quote]

Great PR, I am really impressed. This is the way forward in customer service. I wish more companies had this attitude.

I only have the BH500 head, and I'm desperate to get my hands on the cabs to match. Currently have two Peavey cabs for it to power. It's an incredible head. Sounds great, plenty of features and different sounds to be dialed in. Love it.

And I do agree about the comaraderie, I've had no end of help, advice and warm greetings from fellow bass players :)

[quote name='basstech' timestamp='1321357851' post='1438111']
Hi Guys
Need u're help...
I've got a BH500 and 2x10 and 2x12 matched cabs....my problem is that the amp doesn't sound very loud ( I have to play on 8/10) at normal pub gigs. I use a Warwick Corvette and Sansamp programmable preamp.I'm surprised that it seems that players rate the BH500 for its volume. Any ideas/suggestions very welcome! My band doesnt play exceptionally loud so I don't see that as the problem. I'm now thinking that I may have to trade up to a 750w amp or even higher!! Is this the reason TC have bought out the Blacksmith??

cheers!!
JB
[/quote]

I've got exactly the same configuration down to the two cabs.... And it's very loud - even with one cab so the amp isn't in higher power mode! It sounds like a fault to me. The speaker leads can be fussy and mis-connect sometimes giving a lower volume so make sure they're correctly connected and daisy-chaining off each other - see the manual for correct alignment but basically it's amp to speaker to speaker. Check your bass cable too as a poor joint can cause a loss of volume. Finally check you're not playing one of the three memories where perhaps you've dialled everything down causing a drop in output.

Good luck... these things can be a bugger to identify but I think your basic set-up is fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Just pulled the Trigger for a TC Rig. Ordered the BH500 Head also, but with two BC212 Cabinets. I'm currently playing in two Bands with two Rehearsal Rooms, so I will use one Cab in each Room for Practice...
I guess little Gigs can be done with one Cab and for bigger Stages I would use both of them.

Can't await to have it here.... :)