Why become a member? ×

Powering Active pickups from your head

Stroopy121

Anyone out there know how feasible it would be to power your pickups from a 9V source built into your head?

I'm toying with the idea of building a phantom power box that I'd run my head's output through and also add a 9V supply alongside it. Run the 9V down the lead and power the pickups with no battery...

Only problem I can see is screening - I'd need to find a cable with the signal cores screened to earth to avoid noise, something like this, only runing 9V up one of the unused signal cores:

Obviously I'd also need the corresponding wiring inside the bass, too. Has this ever been done or attempted before? Or is there something fundamental I'm missing?

xx

Edited by Stroopy121

[indent=1]Loads of ideas already about on this site. Search for Phantom power or similar.[/indent]

[indent=1]Think the best Idea was to use a stereo jack to a box that sits on your amp with the 9v supply plugged into that. Mod the bass by linking out the battery.[/indent]

Edited by TimR

Jimmy Johnson does this, I had a chat with him after an Allan Holdsworth gig at the Sutton FC Social Club (yes) and he explained how it works. Of course I've clean forgotten now, but you'll find a couple of threads on talkbass and the Alembic forum and others that might help out.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1321350972' post='1437999']

[indent=1]Loads of ideas already about on this site. Search for Phantom power or similar.[/indent]

[indent=1]Think the best Idea was to use a stereo jack to a box that sits on your amp with the 9v supply plugged into that. Mod the bass by linking out the battery.[/indent]
[/quote]

You don't need to link out the battery. With some cunningly placed diodes you can arrange two separate 'phantom boxes'; one you use in line with the guitar>amp lead to power the electronics from an external voltage source, and another you use to charge the guitar's internal battery when it's not being played.

I'll draw a schematic if anyone's interested.

[quote name='Stroopy121' timestamp='1321350771' post='1437998']
Anyone out there know how feasible it would be to power your pickups from a 9V source built into your head?
[/quote]

I have nothing useful to to add except that when I first read this I had visions of some brilliant surgery and a DC power socket mounted in the back of one's head. Just part the hair and plug in.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1321351723' post='1438019']
You don't need to link out the battery. With some cunningly placed diodes you can arrange two separate 'phantom boxes'; one you use in line with the guitar>amp lead to power the electronics from an external voltage source, and another you use to charge the guitar's internal battery when it's not being played.

I'll draw a schematic if anyone's interested.
[/quote]

This is exactly what I was thinking - have the option to charge the battery while running the pups off the mains or switch to using the battery when I'm using a non-phantom head.

Schematic would be nice, I have an idea in my head but no sense in doing work that's already done!

Cheers!

xx

[quote name='Stroopy121' timestamp='1321352954' post='1438044']
This is exactly what I was thinking - have the option to charge the battery while running the pups off the mains or switch to using the battery when I'm using a non-phantom head.

Schematic would be nice, I have an idea in my head but no sense in doing work that's already done!

Cheers!

xx
[/quote]

How do I attach a .pdf from my computer?

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1321353066' post='1438049']
I could be wrong, but I think EBS heads provide 9v phantom power.
[/quote]
The combos do too. I can power my Zon fretless & Bogart five string from my Gorm combo using a stereo lead. Unfortunately I can't do it with my other Zon as it's 18V.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1321352688' post='1438038']
[b]Powering active pickups from your head:[/b]

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. I'll get me coat.
[/quote]
See! That's exactly what I was thinking of prior to opening the thread & even once I opened it, I was still thinking the same thing. :)

Edited to say, I can't help but giggle at the expressions on their faces! :) :) :o

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1321451613' post='1439288']
The combos do too. I can power my Zon fretless & Bogart five string from my Gorm combo using a stereo lead. Unfortunately I can't do it with my other Zon as it's 18V.
[/quote]

I've really surprised these things have not been standardised as they have with 48v phantom powering of microphones. 48V should be quite adequate for powering all manner of active electronics inside a guitar.