Why become a member? ×

Precision uneven string response

ivansc

Heh - I have the same problem with pretty much every Precision I have ever played, from my original 62 one to the one I have now.

So once I get back to the UK tomorrow night I am first going to try lowering the EA pickup drastically to see if this helps, also move to ground round wound strings, which I seem to recall helped a lot on my last Precision.

Also the current one has some sort of extra heavy duty bridge on it instead of the stock one so that might be worth exploring if all else fails....

Interesting topic. The only US P bass I ever owned (a '78, IIRC) had this problem and that's largely why I got rid of it. I remember reading somewhere (a long time ago) that this was a design feature - supposedly to emulate upright basses. But I've no idea which book I read that in and other people have shot that idea down and said one of my coils must have been screwed. I don't know, and the bass is long gone so I can't check.

But I find it curious that some people find all Ps are like this, and others have never heard of such a problem.

A Precision bass is one of the most flexible basses to deal with this kind of problem. Unlike most basses you can get at any individual string with pickup adjustments. I have also drifted to not being satisfied with D & G strings generally - so I tend to look for a set of strings that are weighed heavier on the higher side.

I had a Jazz back around '94 with a boomy E and G string; it's more common on Jazzes from what I can tell but extremely rare. I've owned a dozen or so P basses and never heard of it on a Precision. New strings, followed by a decent set up followed by changing the pickup seem to be the way forward when it comes to investigating

Funnily enough i have just had this problem with my Farida P bass, or thought i did. It was when i put on some new Rotosound Tru Bass black nylons. The E string had a dull "thunck". Especially when i hit the G, D, A strings and then the E. It just sounds wrong.

Now, i should mention that this was playing it accoustically last night. When i tried it with my Zoom B2.1U with headphones it was a little better, but no perfect. Tonight i tried it with my Hartke LH 500 through some Behringer 450 watt speakers, it sounded much better. Dunno why. Dunno if its the strings or the bass ?

The question is.... does this happen when you are practcing at home or in a band environment....

I ask because if it is in a group situation it may be a frequecy conflict with the guitar.... I have a Status Matrix (active P Pickup) which I used in a lot of previous bands and it sounded great... used it with my current band and had exactly the same problem..... The sound engineer pointed out the clash and I started to use a precision or my BC Rich and have had no problems since..... Sometimes its just different horses for different courses and ultimately blame the guitarist.

I've had this problem. I'm a fairly gentle player in a church band and sometimes you want to play quietly, which is when the main problem occurs.
The E & A absolutely boom out and the D & G are barely audible. More noticeable on the quieter songs but still there at higher volumes. I've had about 5 P's and they were all the same.

Just thought they were all like that.

Using a well set up compressor helps with this kind of uneven response but getting the bass right is better.
I noticed similar mis-matching the other night on my dadrock gig.
Only on the P though, which I used for the second set. The Jazz was spot on.
Loads of E&A and much less Dolce&Gabbana so I think I`ll whip the screwdriver out and take that E/A pickup down.

Edited by Monckyman

I have this problem...and i use EB flats 45/65/80/100 and a BBE optostomp compressor is always between me and the amp.

it is far more noticeable using my HA3500 than it is through the rehearsal studio's TNT130, so perhaps the EQ on my amp is a contributing factor.
It is also more noticeable with new strings than old.