Why become a member? ×

Sending a bass from England to Holland the cheapest way

Cloff

I go over to Holland every June or July for a few days - I stay near Utrecht but drive about all over while I am there - go by Eurostar or the ferry. If that corresponds to anybody's time frame I am happy to transport it.

I sent and expensive bass (£2000 I think it was) to Finland 2 to 3 years ago and just paid the courier for delivery and arranged insurance through a broker myself. The issued a policy through Norwich Union (now Aviva). This was arranged quickly by phone and the details were emailed to me.

I'll see if i can find the broker contact details if this is of interest (I originally found the broker via Google)

Found the broker details:

The Insurance Broker Ltd
PO Box 639
Longridge
PR3 3YU
[b]Telephone: [/b]+44 (0) 1772 780380
[b]Fax:[/b] +44 (0) 1772 784527
[b]Email:[/b] [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]
The guy I was dealing with was Peter Williams
I paid £54. 33 for £2200 of cover (there would have been a 1.5% excess on a claim)

Arranging it was pretty painless and the policy seemed very comprehensive - of course you only know for sure if you have to make a claim, which thankfully I didn't :)

[quote name='Platypus' timestamp='1320787004' post='1431519']
I sent and expensive bass (£2000 I think it was) to Finland 2 to 3 years ago and just paid the courier for delivery and arranged insurance through a broker myself. The issued a policy through Norwich Union (now Aviva). This was arranged quickly by phone and the details were emailed to me.

I'll see if i can find the broker contact details if this is of interest (I originally found the broker via Google)
[/quote]

[quote name='Platypus' timestamp='1320789936' post='1431571']
Found the broker details:

The Insurance Broker Ltd
PO Box 639
Longridge
PR3 3YU
[b]Telephone: [/b]+44 (0) 1772 780380
[b]Fax:[/b] +44 (0) 1772 784527
[b]Email:[/b] [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]
The guy I was dealing with was Peter Williams
I paid £54. 33 for £2200 of cover (there would have been a 1.5% excess on a claim)

Arranging it was pretty painless and the policy seemed very comprehensive - of course you only know for sure if you have to make a claim, which thankfully I didn't :)
[/quote]

Thanks mate, I've made a note of that
Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Check parcel2go.com - they`re roughly the same price structure as Interparcel.

Re postcode - is it your home address you`re putting in? If so, maybe have your work address as the collection point? A business address is probably more likely to show up on their system.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1321901439' post='1444269']
Check parcel2go.com - they`re roughly the same price structure as Interparcel.
[/quote]

parcel2go is a Parcelfarce reseller, so they have a limit of £150 quid on musical instrument insurance. This bass is worth over a grand, so I wouldn't trust it to them in the UK never mind abroad.

Pity the Sheerness - Flissingen ferry no longer runs, that would have been the obvious way to do it.

Yes they do operate Parcelfarce, but only if that`s the one you choose out of the services available - and I definately wouldn`t, btw.

They also offer DHL/TNT etc, and will insure musical instruments up to £1000 for loss:

[i]Guitars - maximum parcel compensation value for damages is £100, up to £1000 compensation for lost items. Guitars must be sent in a hard case.[/i]

So not applicable for this one, but worth bearing in mind for other instances.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1322004926' post='1445499']
I will be in London on the 16th dec and Amsterdam via Koln on the 18th Dec, if thats any use?
I will be travelling on a tourbus so safety isnt an issue.
Happy to transport it.
MM
[/quote]

Legend :)

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1322004926' post='1445499']
I will be in London on the 16th dec and Amsterdam via Koln on the 18th Dec, if thats any use?
I will be travelling on a tourbus so safety isnt an issue.
Happy to transport it.
MM
[/quote]

That really is quality!

This may be met with howls of derision, as I know they have a poor reputation with some, but I've used Parcelforce within the UK often, to France and Germany several times, and they've always been excellent. They will insure up to whatever you need, the only requirement is that it has to be completely packaged over the case itself, and it's getting more expensive. I recently sent a Sei Jazz 5 insured for £1200 to Germany, and it cost £96 on a trackable 3 day service. It arrived in 2.

The downside is that Parcelforce will gladly accept money for extra insurance levels, but this, from their website, reveals that they won`t pay it, if your item falls into their excluded items list:

[size=3][b]Items we exclude from compensation[/b][/size]
[b] [size=3][b]Please be aware that goods are excluded from compensation as follows:[/b][/size][/b]

[b][size=3]Musical instruments - no enhanced compensation is available[/size][/b]

Edited by Lozz196

Thanks for pointing that out - I rang them, and was told they changed their policy on enhanced compensation of musical instruments almost 2 years ago, but I was still sold it when I sent the bass from Parcelforce's Aldershot depot 10 days ago. They've said they will reimburse the cost of the cover. So who are we left with that will provide proper insured shipping? UPS? Any others?

If you read the small print T&Cs and the excluded items for all the parcel carriers you will find that anything containing magnets is prohibited. That means that technically any electric bass, amplifier or speaker would not be covered and you might even find yourself being sued for sending prohibited goods.