Why become a member? ×

1968: My Year of Birth Bass - any recommendations?

lanark

I don't know what was around then - what Fender's colourways were at the time.

1968 was a stonking year for music, but what will be my options when I eventually have the money to buy a bass that made in 1968, the year I was born?

Edited by lanark

I was born in 1968 too, so am watching this thread with interest...

I must admit I was thinking about a YOB bass a while back and casually surfing the web to see what was available - it did seem that mostly there were Fender Telecaster basses and Gibson EB3s available.

There must be old Precisions, Jazzes and Rickenbacker 4001s out there somewhere too surely. :)

Some the Yamahas listed weren't available in 68. You can see which ones would be applicable [url="http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/archive/list/sb.html"]here[/url]

By 1968 the Bison Bass was a Baldwin and not a Burns so nowhere near as good.

I'd go for either a Yamaha or a Mosrite.

Edit: Or an Ampeg Scroll Bass.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1320264901' post='1424646']
Some the Yamahas listed weren't available in 68. You can see which ones would be applicable [url="http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/archive/list/sb.html"]here[/url]
[/quote]

Are you saying that the ones which according to that page were released in November 1968 (SB1C, SB2A, SB5A, SB7A) weren't in reality available until 1969? What about the ones released in October 1968 (SA17, SA70B)? I just read from the very page you cite, what did I do wrong? :)