Why become a member? ×

Starter Bass

nitrokid

Hi,
This is my first post and i don't know much about bass guitars so be patiant.
I have wanted to play the bass guitar for quite some time now and i finally have deceided i am going to buy a bass and learn. I already play the drums and when i get my grade 8 i am going to get a bass but which one...

I have £200 to spend on just the bass and will probably go second hand but i don't know what makes a good bass guitar and which ones to look at. I have been down to my local music shop and he pointed me in the direction of the Ibanez SR range. But there all trying to sell you what they have in stock so i would like some independanted opinions.

Thanks Jack.

Edited by nitrokid

It's all about what you feel comfortable with. You can't go wrong with a Squier, and also some of the "Cheapo" makes such as Westfield can turn out some gems. If I was you I'd go for something cheap that feels "right" for you. I love Jazz basses but I prefer the neck on a precision. I just bought a "Hodson" precision copy from ebay and it really suprised me. Go down to your music shop, try a few different basses see what feels comfortable in your hands - it's about what you want/like not what they are selling. If you look on the "For Sale" section here you can pick up something nice and well looked after/set up for £200.

[quote name='Pentode' timestamp='1319990626' post='1420925']
I wholeheartedly recommend a [url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/search.php/?partno=0326702521"]Squier VMJ[/url], see if you can find one used.
[/quote]

There was one of those in the FS section for about £175, but I can't find it anymore.

What about this
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WASHBURN-FORCE-4-BASS-GUITAR-/290623982748?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43aa8a0c9c"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WASHBURN-FORCE-4-BASS-GUITAR-/290623982748?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43aa8a0c9c[/url]

Of the basses I have experience of I would add a couple more in the mix - Westone Thunder basses are incredibly good value for money. SGC Nanyo Bass Collection are arguably better value for money. I recently bought a late 80s Yamaha RBX800A from a fellow Basschatter for £150 and it is superb. All three are IMO better made instruments than a Squier.

Like everyone else has said, Squier, Yamaha and Ibanez are all solid buys, particularly if you can get a nice second hand one.
Otherwise, the previously mentioned SGC Nanyo "Bass Collection" basses are superb. If you get [i]really[/i] lucky, a G&L "Tribute" series might just pop up on the cheap, but expect it to have had a couple of owners.

To put some of this into a bit of perspective for you;

My first bass was a Westone. I still have it.
I've had two Ibanez, and sold one on. The other was irreparably damaged, and I wish I still had it.
I also own a Squier and a Yamaha.

(So not much bias, then!)

Hi Jack, Welcome to the exciting world of bass guitar playing! It is a journey filled with challenges, endless possibilities and most of all, lots of fun!

When starting out with the bass guitar, it is worth thinking about the music you like to listen and to play. Try to identify a bass, as close as possible, to that sound or style. While theoretically any bass could be used to play anything, there are some bass sounds that are typical to certain styles. For example - to generalize and simplify vastly:

* Fender Jazz and Precision basses (and their copies) have the classic Rock/Soul/R&B/Pop sounds covered

* Some of the basses with more exotic woods and specifications have more modern sounds

* Double bass and fretless bass sounds are more common in jazz
* Passive vs. active electronics (pickup-ups + preamps) have different characteristics and maintenance requirements
* Neck width and bridge spacing (between strings) will be a factor depending on whether you have small or big hands

Find out what kind of guitars are used by the bassists whose music you want to play and try to identify one on those lines that fits within your budget.

All the best with the bass playing!

Cheers, Vic.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1319996389' post='1421033']
Like everyone else has said, Squier, Yamaha and Ibanez are all solid buys, particularly if you can get a nice second hand one.
Otherwise, the previously mentioned SGC Nanyo "Bass Collection" basses are superb. If you get [i]really[/i] lucky, a G&L "Tribute" series might just pop up on the cheap, but expect it to have had a couple of owners.

To put some of this into a bit of perspective for you;

My first bass was a Westone. I still have it.
I've had two Ibanez, and sold one on. The other was irreparably damaged, and I wish I still had it.
I also own a Squier and a Yamaha.

(So not much bias, then!)
[/quote]

Good for you, I never quite understand this yearning to pay £2000 for a guitar.

Where abouts do you live? If you're close to london, head down to the bass gallery in camden (my favourite shop in the world). If you tell them your situation, they should be happy to give you a few models to try. Although I'd add the warning that it's not the cheapest place to get a bass, and you'd likely get better value secondhand. Speaking of which, I'll happily sell [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/36087-fs-warwick-rockbass-streamer-std/page__fromsearch__1"]my starter bass[/url].

Hi Jack. (Hijack?)

I started out with a Yamaha RBX 374 a few years ago, bought as a package with small Peavey amp and a wire to join them together. Brilliant starter rig, I would recommend it. I've since (recently) upgraded quite drastically but I still look at the Yamaha fondly, although it now has a good layer of dust on it. The main thing is to get started playing bass (for which you don't need a lot of cash), then see how it goes before investing heavily. Good luck and enjoy!

[quote name='nitrokid' timestamp='1319988839' post='1420882']
Hi,
This is my first post and i don't know much about bass guitars so be patiant.
I have wanted to play the bass guitar for quite some time now and i finally have deceided i am going to buy a bass and learn. I already play the drums and when i get my grade 8 i am going to get a bass but which one...

I have £200 to spend on just the bass and will probably go second hand but i don't know what makes a good bass guitar and which ones to look at. I have been down to my local music shop and he pointed me in the direction of the Ibanez SR range. But there all trying to sell you what they have in stock so i would like some independanted opinions.

Thanks Jack.
[/quote]

Where are you based Jack? If you're anywhere near Stockport, you're more than welcome to come round and try out my basses - I have a good-value starter bass and more expensive gigging basses, so you'll be able to gauge the differences. Just drop me a PM - no problem.

Steve

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='nitrokid' timestamp='1319994687' post='1420997']
What about this
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WASHBURN-FORCE-4-BASS-GUITAR-/290623982748?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43aa8a0c9c"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43aa8a0c9c[/url]
[/quote]

My 2nd or 3rd bass - very well balanced, versatile and this one seems quite good value..you could do worse..

For a beginner's bass, I'd just look for something that:
Plays well
Makes nice sounds
Is well-built and reliable-looking

My first bass was an Encore Precision copy. Built like a tank, nice neck, didn't sound too bad.
Knock-off Fenders can be pretty decent; you can't really go wrong with a Precision/Jazz and they can easily upgraded in the future with new hardware. Check out Westfield/Encore/Sue Ryder and of course Squier :)