Why become a member? ×

Ric 4003 fireglo vs jetglo ??

aidanhallbass

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1319829113' post='1419174']

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RICKENBACKER-4003-BASS-2007-LIMITED-EDITION-BLUEBURST-GORGEOUS-CONDITION-/270842049952?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f0f71b5a0"]Here's[/url] a few more pics. (Not my auction)
[/quote]

Pretty!

Thanks Jack

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1319806734' post='1418811']
Does the blueburst have a name? I assume it ends in glo? :P
[/quote]

The blue colour's name you mention was called exactly that, Blueburst.
It was the Colour of the year for 2005, however Rickenbacker had previously done a couple of guitars for Mary Chapin Carpenter in that finish.

When Rickenbacker do a 'Colour of the year', they only finish the orders taken that year, and then delete the Colour, so they do remain fairly rare. Rickenbacker have currently suspended 'Colour of the year' and are only concentrating on their four standard Colours to speed up production.

In answer to the topic's question, I'd go Fireglo all day long. It's a truly gorgeous finish, plus you get to see the grain of the wood (stunning on Rickenbackers), as well as the Walnut wings on the headstock. You miss both of these with the solid colours.

I own a Blueburst 4003, and she's a real stunner. I do however still lust over a Fireglo model, and a while back I was thinking of selling her to buy a Fireglo model.

Here's a link to some photo's of my Blueburst 4003 in case anyone's interested: [url="http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/ab65/Minty731/Rickenbacker%204003/?albumview=slideshow"]http://s850.photobuc...mview=slideshow[/url]

Edited by Who's Who

[quote name='Who's Who' timestamp='1319935403' post='1420393']

It was the Colour of the year for 2005, however Rickenbacker had previously done a couple of guitars for Mary Chapin Carpenter in that finish.

When Rickenbacker do a 'Colour of the year', they only finish the orders taken that year, and then delete the Colour, so they do remain fairly rare. Rickenbacker have currently suspended 'Colour of the year' and are only concentrating on their four standard Colours to speed up production.

In answer to the topic's question, I'd go Fireglo all day long. It's a truly gorgeous finish, plus you get to see the grain of the wood (stunning on Rickenbackers), as well as the Mahogany wings on the headstock. You miss both of these with the solid colours.

I own a Blueburst 4003, and she's a real stunner. I do however still lust over a Fireglo model, and a while back I was thinking of selling her to buy a Fireglo model.

Here's a link to some photo's of my Blueburst 4003 in case anyone's interested: [url="http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/ab65/Minty731/Rickenbacker%204003/?albumview=slideshow"]http://s850.photobuc...mview=slideshow[/url]
[/quote]
Nice bass, like your photos too. :)
FG and JG are good for me.

In answer to the topic's question, I'd go Fireglo all day long. It's a truly gorgeous finish, plus you get to see the grain of the wood (stunning on Rickenbackers), as well as the Mahogany wings on the headstock. You miss both of these with the solid colours.

[/quote]

FWIW the headstock wings are walnut.

Unless you're gigging on a very brightly lit stage or in daylight, the only colour for a 4001/4003 is MG (or white I'd guess), cos that's the only colour that screams "LOOK, IT'S A RIC" at the audience. JG and FG look awesome in the case or on the wall, but often disappear on stage.

• 3 months later...

it has to be fireglo, i have owned 5 jetglo,s they always damage and chip very easily the fireglo is a more robust finish, and looks great , i have just taken delivery of a new fireglo and it,s stunning.

Edited by geofio

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1319733098' post='1417945']
Having owned both JG and FG '73 4001's I'd have to go with Fireglo - though I have a nostalgia for JG Ric's mainly because of Gaye Advert

[/quote]

Whilst she may have used a Jetglo (can't say I've seen a picture but always possible) she is most famous for using an Azure, which is what sparked my love of them.

Sorry, immediately realised I'd repeated myself but can't delete posts using the browser I'd used. Had to switch to a different one to delete (and had to switch back to post!) Can't delete in one, can't post in the other! And can't use emoticons in either. Is it just me or is Basschat a lot more complicated since it changed?

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1319998111' post='1421069']
Unless you're gigging on a very brightly lit stage or in daylight, the only colour for a 4001/4003 is MG (or white I'd guess), cos that's the only colour that screams "LOOK, IT'S A RIC" at the audience. JG and FG look awesome in the case or on the wall, but often disappear on stage.
[/quote]
Actually, although my fave Ric colour is Azureglo, I think Fireglo is the one that stands out best on stage.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1328174649' post='1522886']
Sorry, immediately realised I'd repeated myself but can't delete posts using the browser I'd used. Had to switch to a different one to delete (and had to switch back to post!) Can't delete in one, can't post in the other! And can't use emoticons in either. Is it just me or is Basschat a lot more complicated since it changed?
[/quote]

:mellow: what bloody browsers are you using?!

[/quote]

They also did the rather oddly named "blueboy" finish as a recent colour of teh year. A very cool looking pale blue - but still not as cool as black :lol:

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1319636247' post='1416700']
I bought a jetglo as it was the one I thought best out of the common finishes. I ideally wanted a white one (well actually a Chris Squire sig model but my financial common sense wouldn't allow it ;) ). Come to think of it is there a proper name for white in ricspeak? Love it if it was 'albinoglo'.
[/quote]
You could simply get a Jetglo then invert all photographs taken in photoshop before viewing - Instantly white (although admittedly with an interesting cyan skin tone)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1319636247' post='1416700']
I bought a jetglo as it was the one I thought best out of the common finishes. I ideally wanted a white one (well actually a Chris Squire sig model but my financial common sense wouldn't allow it ;) ). Come to think of it is there a proper name for white in ricspeak? Love it if it was 'albinoglo'.
[/quote]

Mine's white (faded to cream, custardglo) but I still think black's where it's at.