Why become a member? ×

Synth Bass

Doddy

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1319568865' post='1415970']
Lack of Keyboard chops might have been the culprit. [Which is not a crime of course]

Garry
[/quote]
IMO in most cases starting from zero keyboard ability he could have learnt to play the parts in only slightly more time then it took to set up the sound on his pedals.

I love the sound of synth bass. I remember a very early Stanley Clarke track where he tracked his bass with a keyboard.

A few years ago I was playing with a band that covered a couple of George Michael tracks that had synth bass on them. I tried a Boss SYB, but it was crap. I bought an Akai SB-1, which was great.

I reckon you have to use a keyboard to truly emulate a synth bass track.

I went to see Alexander O'Neal a few years ago, and his bass player used a keyboard bass for most of the set.

Edited by Pete Academy

I used to do a lot of home recording in the 80s on my trusty 4-track Fostex cassette multitracker. When real bass playing was replaced by synth bass, I found myself writing tracks that needed that sound, but I couldn't play keyboards. I ended up buying a Casio midi guitar and was able to play synth bass lines triggered from various modules.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1319623661' post='1416437']

Nice track - a hidden gem, got any more recommendations?
[/quote]

There are a ton of great MJ synth lines,but I particularly love Alex Al on the live version of 'Jam' from 'This Is It'-it's pretty simple compared to some,but it's really cool.

I've got some TV pop shows coming up, and I've been thinking of getting one of those bass synths lately, though I don't have a Mac and I dont want to mess with computers, as they dont seem to be reliable enough (in the last Big pop show I've done, even two Mac's proved that - my drummer's Mac, that we used for click-tracks, broke down during a final rehearsal for no actual reason, and another Mac, that one artist was using for keyboards and synth bass, broke during the show itself..)

I've been thinking about Akai MiniAK, the one that Doddy uses - it seems cool for starter, but, Doddy, what do you actually mean by that Akai being pain in the ass with programming? Don't You just program one or few sounds and leave it there?

easy
Laimis

Edited by Faithless

After a rehearsal the other week me and the drummer got asked to jam with these guys who were doing some synth type setup. Rather than get my bass out one of the guys suggested I use and old set of bass pedals that was laying around. I really loved the sound and the way it made me re-think riffs (it only being a single octave). Inspired, when I got home I dug out my old MC-303 which has a good selection of bass sounds and very editable. Not keen on the button style keyboard but have been thinking of including it in my band's setup.

[quote name='Faithless' timestamp='1319625474' post='1416480']
I've been thinking about Akai MiniAK, the one that Doddy uses - it seems cool for starter, but, Doddy, what do you actually mean by that Akai being pain in the ass with programming? Don't You just program one or few sounds and leave it there?

easy
Laimis[/quote]

I'm really rubbish with anything technical,and to program the Miniak you have to go into menus and edit things
like attack,envelope and that kind of thing. I'm just quite impatient and don't get along with that kind of programming
and editing (that's the same reason that I don't use the Roland V Bass as much as I could). Luckily for me the Miniak has
some cool built in sounds,including a cool Moog type sound that I use most of the time. I mainly just use 2 or 3 of
the stock sounds.
If you've got more patience than me (and know what youre doing)programming the Miniak is probably no big deal.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1319630046' post='1416580']
I'm really rubbish with anything technical,and to program the Miniak you have to go into menus and edit things
like attack,envelope and that kind of thing. I'm just quite impatient and don't get along with that kind of programming
and editing...[/quote]

Ha ha, I know what you mean here! But I'm actually the opposite - I can't play keyboards to any kind of standard, but I'm ok when it comes to creating bass sounds/patches from scratch using modular synths and such like. I probably spend more time doing this at the moment than I do playing bass, but that's just where my head is currently at musically...

I've got a microkork XL and an old novation bass station that I love using. To be honest I'm not sure if part of my motivation was frustration at our keyboard player not wanting to play stuff that actually suited the song. As Si said though, I just see it as part of looking after the "low end" of the music. Can't be bothered with pedals to be honest, mind you that could just be because I know its another steep learning curve and I'm not willing to go down that route right now.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1319630046' post='1416580']
and editing (that's the same reason that I don't use the Roland V Bass as much as I could). Luckily for me the Miniak has
some cool built in sounds,including a cool Moog type sound that I use most of the time. I mainly just use 2 or 3 of
the stock sounds.
If you've got more patience than me (and know what youre doing)programming the Miniak is probably no big deal.
[/quote]

I wish I knew what attack and envelope means in that kind of stuff... :) But I'll do some research if I'll get one.
You said you're looking for new synth - are you going to sell this one?

easy
Laimis

yes jake!! nice one on the gaia..

if im honest.. Pop gigs nowadays dont come about unless you can play synth bass.. and also program/edit your own sounds.. to match the bass stems on the recoed..

The Roland Gaia is a great VA synth.. mono and polyphonic.. Little phatty is also a great 2 oscillator synth but a mono analog synth is going to have more depth with the sounds it creates.. than various VA's depends how specific you want to be.. with the sounds your creating..

and what your wanting to do with a synth..

but dont knock synth bass.. all of MJ, Prince.. and various Stevie wonder is all on synth..

its been pretty integral in the last 20/30 years to the development of bass playing, harmonically, melodically and sonically

[quote name='philsimmonds' timestamp='1320109339' post='1422542']yes jake!! nice one on the gaia..

if im honest.. Pop gigs nowadays dont come about unless you can play synth bass.. and also program/edit your own sounds.. to match the bass stems on the recoed..

The Roland Gaia is a great VA synth.. mono and polyphonic.. Little phatty is also a great 2 oscillator synth but a mono analog synth is going to have more depth with the sounds it creates.. than various VA's depends how specific you want to be.. with the sounds your creating..

and what your wanting to do with a synth..

but dont knock synth bass.. all of MJ, Prince.. and various Stevie wonder is all on synth..

its been pretty integral in the last 20/30 years to the development of bass playing, harmonically, melodically and sonically[/quote]

Ha, cheers man, it beats my laptop & controller system hands down.

Had its first gig tonight and it sounded awesome!!

Cheers for the recommendation!!