Why become a member? ×

Synth Bass

Doddy

I've been finding myself being asked to play more and more synth bass on gigs lately
and was wondering if many other people on here have found that using synth bass has
added to their sound and reportoire?
I'm not talking about using effects pedals to get a synth type sound (which I also do),but
using an actual keyboard to play basslines like players such as Greg Phillanganes and
Michael Boddiker and the pop/R&B guys like Kern Brantley.

Any opinions,influences,gear choices etc.?

No disrespect meant but if they want keyboards played why don't they employ a keyboard player?? - are they going to get horn players to play a synth that sounds like horns??

They devalue your talents as a bassplayer by asking you to play something else!!

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1319545839' post='1415500']
No disrespect meant but if they want keyboards played why don't they employ a keyboard player?? - are they going to get horn players to play a synth that sounds like horns??

They devalue your talents as a bassplayer by asking you to play something else!!
[/quote]

You get a completely different feel with keys..... have you listened to any Jam & Lewis material.... killer bass parts even though terry Lewis is a very accomplished bassist

[/quote]

Couldn't dis-agree more.
It's just a sound, if you can't get a bass sound from guitar/effects, you might look to create that low-end from something more programmed.
I play some bass-orientated keyboards in my dubstep band, although it's about 80% bass guitar. I don't think of myself as bass guitarist, more that I'm in charge of the low end...however that may come.

Si

[/quote]

Because your not playing the keyboard parts, your playing the synth bass part, the part that was recorded on the album with a keyboard and is part of the song.
Its all about getting the right feel & sound for the gig.

Also,

Why hire an extra musician when the bass player can double up, its all about costs. You'll generally find keyboard players have enough on their plate than having to deal with the synth baseline as well, they've only got two hands.

Edited by JakeBrownBass

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1319545431' post='1415488']
I've been finding myself being asked to play more and more synth bass on gigs lately
and was wondering if many other people on here have found that using synth bass has
added to their sound and reportoire?
I'm not talking about using effects pedals to get a synth type sound (which I also do),but
using an actual keyboard to play basslines like players such as Greg Phillanganes and
Michael Boddiker and the pop/R&B guys like Kern Brantley.

Any opinions,influences,gear choices etc.?
[/quote]

I've just bought a Roland Gaia after a recommendation from Phil Simmonds and at the moment i'm loving it. I find it so much easier to use than my previous laptop set up as it's so hands on.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1319545839' post='1415500']No disrespect meant but if they want keyboards played why don't they employ a keyboard player?? - are they going to get horn players to play a synth that sounds like horns??

They devalue your talents as a bassplayer by asking you to play something else!![/quote]
Not at all. You're still playing bass,just not on a bass guitar.
You get a totally different sound,timbre and feel playing synth bass than you do on a stringed
instrument that works really well for a lot of things.

Playing a bass part on keyboards is about the feel as much as the sound.

There are some synth bass parts that feel best when played from a keyboard, and some which feel better when played on a bass guitar through effects. The trick is to pick the right combination to suit the song.

Another Synth user here - Novation A station and a two Octave Keyboard.
I have used it on a couple of pit shows. Function bands as well.
Its just another sound at the party. You are not trying to sound like a Bass Gtr.
And as said above, Keyboard players only have two hands, and they are usually tied up with playing other lines.
Different feel as well.
Its not devalue, its double value.

Garry

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1319547064' post='1415525']

I've just bought a Roland Gaia after a recommendation from Phil Simmonds and at the moment i'm loving it. I find it so much easier to use than my previous laptop set up as it's so hands on.[/quote]

I've been looking at getting the Gaia recently...either that or a Moog little Phatty. Although the
Gaia appears more versatile. I've been using the Akai Miniak,which has got some really cool
sounds,but is a pain in the arse to program.
I like using a hardware synth as I don't want to take my laptop to gigs.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1319548255' post='1415542']
I've been looking at getting the Gaia recently...either that or a Moog little Phatty. Although the
Gaia appears more versatile. I've been using the Akai Miniak,which has got some really cool
sounds,but is a pain in the arse to program.
I like using a hardware synth as I don't want to take my laptop to gigs.
[/quote]

Yeah, i got tired of having to take my laptop with me & using a 2 tier stand with it.
What i love about the Gaia is how easy it is to use & manipulate the sound, i've only had it a couple of days but i'm already loving it.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1319548131' post='1415539'].
Its not devalue, its double value.
[/quote]

Exactly. I look at it as kind of modern doubling. I've doubled on electric and upright for
years and got more work from doing it,but for a lot of modern music it can be more
important to double on synth bass rather than upright. Of course,if you can play all
three (trebling?),then it gives you alot of versatility and options.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1319549040' post='1415569']
Bought this yesterday.... will give it an outing this weekend -

[url="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/animoog/id471638724?ls=1&mt=8"]http://itunes.apple....38724?ls=1&mt=8[/url]
[/quote]

Now that looks interesting.
Lets us know how it goes.

Garry

*raises hand*

I play some basslines on keyboard live too.

I use an Akai MPK49 in combination with my MacBook Pro, and favour softsynths such as the GForce ImpOscar & MiniMonsta, Arturia ARP 2600V & Minimoog, and Native Instruments Massive and B4.

[/quote]

It's another string to your bow. Also, if your keyboardist is occupied with playing something fairly intense on keys then it's going to be a great help if you're able to play synth.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1319561990' post='1415839']
Playing Synth Bass doesn't concern me at all, although I'll only play synth if its right for the song. I put some down today on a track we're recording. I much prefer to use a real synth than a pedal as well, much more control and much less faffing around etc.
[/quote]
Totally agree. I can remember seeing a bassist at Bass Day several years ago doing some amazing synthy stuff with his bass guitar and a floor full of pedals. However I couldn't help thinking that he could have replaced it all with something like a Moog Voyager or a Nord Lead and got the same results faster and more accurately.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1319566904' post='1415934']
However I couldn't help thinking that he could have replaced it all with something like a Moog Voyager or a Nord Lead and got the same results faster and more accurately.
[/quote]

Lack of Keyboard chops might have been the culprit. [Which is not a crime of course]

Garry

I've written & played bass parts on synths as well as bass guitars for ages & really enjoy it.

I personally think that for anything below a bottom E a synth sounds better, even though I've got a pretty nice 5 string bass.

I've never heard any kind of synth add-on for a bass guitar that sounds anywhere near as good as a decent keyboard synth does.

Used lots of stuff over the years - Moog Prodigy (awesome!), Sequential Circuits Pro One, Roland JP800 & Currently using a Korg Triton LE for all my keyboard stuff.