Why become a member? ×

Which 5 string

darkandrew

I'd thought of the Peavey Cirrus, the US made neck-throughs are particularly nice but I think they're 35" scale - the same as my Euro 5LX and I was thinking about getting a standard (34") scale as having played 34" scale basses for 20 years or so I don't find the 35" scale to be as intuitive.

Narrow thing neck to me might mean two things..

Narrow refers to spacing so a jazz type neck would take care of that.
Depends what spacing you want to compliment this at the bridge.

As necks are so personal, I'd get one custome made..probably by Sims if I only needed the neck and already had the body sorted.

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1318706107' post='1405489']
I'd thought of the Peavey Cirrus, the US made neck-throughs are particularly nice but I think they're 35" scale - the same as my Euro 5LX and I was thinking about getting a standard (34") scale as having played 34" scale basses for 20 years or so I don't find the 35" scale to be as intuitive.
[/quote]

Ah - I forgot the Cirrus was 35" - however, I had a BXP & it took me about 10 mins to adapt - thereafter I swapped between 34 & 35" scales without noticing the difference.

I can say that, for me, it had the best neck I've ever played (so far). The neck on my Yamaha BB415 is excellent - very 'jazz bass - whereas my BBG5A is more like a P bass.

G.

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1318700245' post='1405423']
Putting the notion of money to one side for the moment, which 5 string would you get if you wanted a narrow, thin neck and a 34" scale?
[/quote]

I quite like Musicman20's EBMM Sterling HS in Tobacco burst, I know the nut width is for girls but as thats what the OP wants that would be a contender for me :)

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1318758038' post='1405757']
Sorted for £500
34" 45mm nut 18.5mm string space at Bridge and 18mm depth front back at first fret 22mm at 12th mucho fast
[/quote]

Just from these pics, I'd say this has to be a lot of bass for £500...

Thanks guys, some interesting suggestions there. To be honest I hadn't considered Ibanez so I'll be having a look at them - especially the SRT range. As for the Vigier, I actually put a bid in Derek Forbes' Passion on Ebay a few months ago but went on holiday the day the auction closed and was outbid while flying to Menorca!

Cheers

Andy.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1318756376' post='1405741']
Cost no object?
This;

Except I already did. But I'd have another Vigier without hesitation.
[/quote]
I've read some reviews of the Vigier Passion where it's desribed as "unforgiving". I'm not quite sure what is meant by this, from your experience have you found it to be "unforgiving"?

I currently have a Peavey cirrus 4 string which i chose for the slim neck, so i was worried when looking for a 5 string to test the water.

I bought an Ibanez SR305 and the string spacing and contour of the neck was very easy to adapt to. I found that the output was a bit on the low side, but otherwise very playable for a sub-£300 bass.

I'll probably replace it with one from higher up the range with the Bartolini pups, so if you're looking for a Candy Red SR305, hardly gigged, etc etc, then you know where there's one looking for a new home!! :)

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1318793260' post='1406298']
I've read some reviews of the Vigier Passion where it's desribed as "unforgiving". I'm not quite sure what is meant by this, from your experience have you found it to be "unforgiving"?
[/quote]

It's fair to say that there's nowhere to hide when playing an instrument of this nature.
The Vigier has always worked well with every signal chain component it's been plugged into, so it's perfectly tolerant of a wide variety of partnering equipment.
Ergonomically, it's excellent, and it's eminently playable.
Which can only leave the sound/tone, which is great.
If "unforgiving" means that its clarity shines a bright light into oft hidden corners of player technique, then perhaps it is. I think I prefer the term "revealing"
Similarly, if oddly EQ'd and suitably played, it could be described as sounding quite relentless.
That said, a quick tweak and a softer technique and it'll simply sing.
In a nutshell, precise and transparent.

Um.... there's a SR 4005E Prestige in the For Sale section....

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/118050-ibanez-prestige-sr4005e-5-string/page__hl__prestige__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/118050-ibanez-prestige-sr4005e-5-string/page__hl__prestige__fromsearch__1[/url]

/shameless plug :) :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1318795010' post='1406317']

It's fair to say that there's nowhere to hide when playing an instrument of this nature.
The Vigier has always worked well with every signal chain component it's been plugged into, so it's perfectly tolerant of a wide variety of partnering equipment.
Ergonomically, it's excellent, and it's eminently playable.
Which can only leave the sound/tone, which is great.
If "unforgiving" means that its clarity shines a bright light into oft hidden corners of player technique, then perhaps it is. I think I prefer the term "revealing"
Similarly, if oddly EQ'd and suitably played, it could be described as sounding quite relentless.
That said, a quick tweak and a softer technique and it'll simply sing.
In a nutshell, precise and transparent.
[/quote]

I would love to try a Passion. I have an Arpege (current series) and out of all the basses I have I think that it is the most forgiving in terms of technique. I find that the EQ is more sophisticated than I need, but it is really smart and pretty subtle. The necks on the Passion/Arpege line are also pretty much the only 5 string neck I have played and felt 'at home ' on (okay I have only played Fender/Lakland/Sadowsky/Ibanez/Musicman fivers but still!).