Why become a member? ×

Irritating terms that non-musos use...

Ian Savage

My dad continually refers to guitar slides as 'sliders', which for some reason bugs the hell out of me...the singer in one of my bands used to term the bass drum the 'foot drum' :) ...and even though it's (I suppose) a legitimate contraction of 'plectrum', anyone using the word 'plek' for one p!sses me off.

Am I just getting cumudeonly in my old age, or has anyone else got pet hates like these?

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1318445036' post='1402318']
Machine Heads instead of tuners.This may sound strange,but I have always thought that perhaps the machine head,ie the part of the guitar where the tuning machines go,and the headstock were one and the same.But how and why are tuners known as machine heads?
[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_head

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1318445036' post='1402318']
Machine Heads instead of tuners.This may sound strange,but I have always thought that perhaps the machine head,ie the part of the guitar where the tuning machines go,and the headstock were one and the same.But how and why are tuners known as machine heads?
[/quote]
I would often say machine heads, that's what they were always known as at one time.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1318445073' post='1402319']
D'you mean the kick drum? :)
[/quote]

Ooooohhhhh, don't you start with that :) I DO actually have to use two separate terms for it, as 'proper' drummers get riled if you call it a kick drum in a 'discussion about drums' type context, but as I engineer as well I do indeed find myself calling it the kick drum a lot of the time.

Foot drum, though, is surely wrong in any context :)

I think of a tuner as being a tight fitting tapered tuning peg, as opposed to a machine head, which has gears.

And I refer to practicing as 'Having a burst on me Banjo' Comes from Ken Dodd probably...(by jove I needed that)

yeah, you probably need to be 50 odd to understand it - a bit like 'Wheres me shert'

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1318444082' post='1402293']
...and even though it's (I suppose) a legitimate contraction of 'plectrum', anyone using the word 'plek' for one p!sses me off.
[/quote]

Yeah, that one annoys me. And people who write 'mike' when they mean 'mic'.

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1318447039' post='1402376']

Yeah, that one annoys me. And people who write 'mike' when they mean 'mic'.
[/quote]

Oh yes, that one too. And someone really need to come up with an accepted standard for the verb describing when you place a microphone near something to pick up its sound - 'mic-ing'? Micing? The latter sounds too much like it's got something to do with rodents for my liking...