Why become a member? ×

'53P Relic * SOLD *

Clarky

To recoup some funds after outgoings on various things (notably costs associated with stolen car), I want to sell one of

- my Herbie Flowers replica Jazz made by BC's talented luthier Wes Steed. Its a wonderful bass with Rotosound TruBass trings on for a real DB vibe and is a great copy of the iconic bass used on Walk on the Wild Side and Space Oddity (missing only the original's fuzz switch). £1400 ono

- or my '53 Relic P bass, which I bought from BC's Rick's Fine '52. £750 ono. If I sell this, as its less money, I will also move on some amp gear

Each are collected/meet-up only from London. When one sells the other comes off sale

Edited by Clarky

• 2 weeks later...

The Steed Herbie Flowers Jazz is available again as the buyer has run into issues (nothing to do with the bass, by the way). As noted elsewhere, I am lucky to get my stolen car back but the whole episode will cost me somwhere between one and two grand. Hence this lovely bass is FS. I paid £1400 for the bass as it has £800 of original early '60s Fender parts (listed below). I would like as close as possible to what I paid although I will accept a [u]small[/u] discount as the Fender decal (which was applied to the top of the headstock) has partly scraped away (although this does make it look authentic and it could easily be replaced for a fiver).

In-line with the original bass which inspired it, it is wearing chunky black nylon Rotosound TruBass strings on which make it play more like a DB and which have a rich, thick thumping type sound with virtually no treble - as per Walk on the Wild Side, Space Oddity etc (on which the original was played). Its not one for slapping or fast finger funk, unless you swap the strings over.

Specs:
61 Tuners + 62 bushings and screws
62 bridge + screws
All screws from 60/61 including the neck plate screws
String tree 61 with screw
59 thumbrest with screws
Fullerton 83 RI jazz stack knobs and early bell plate
Hand wired repro harness
Suhr Vintage spec handwound pickup
Neck from a 62RI Fender Jazz but re-profiled by Wes
Weighs 8.77 pounds

Picture below is one of Wes' from his build thread and was taken before he applied the headstock decal
[attachment=91792:DSCN2065.jpg]

I don't have a bass-sized box and I don't want to put Mrs C through waiting in all day for Interparcel pickup so this is meet-up/collected only in London

Edited by Clarky

Thanks Rick and a morning bump from me. Here's more of Herbie (some old pics from Wes, the bass is now wearing Rotosound TruBass black nylon flats, like its inspiration):

[attachment=91937:Herbie2.jpg][attachment=91938:Herbie 3.jpg][attachment=91939:Herbie 4.jpg]

Edited by Clarky

The car is costing me more than I thought - plus got hit with an unexpected back tax bill - so these are back up FS :)

I won't keep bumping these every day as I am not expecting buying interest in the current market. But if anyone stumbles across this thread they will see that the basses are available. May also try eBay

Edited by Clarky

• 2 weeks later...